Implants turn humans into cyborgs
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2006 :  18:35:55  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/story.html?id=d4f47afb-6ee3-460d-b4e3-834770fa886b&k=85038

I didn't know if I should put this in general skepticism of general discussion. The only sort of skepticism it relates to is the skepticism of people who laugh at me when I tell them this sort of technology is right around the corner. And that's not so much skepticism as it is ignorance.

Regardless of the concerns over privacy and ethical questions surrounding this sort of technology, I personally can't wait for the implants that make cellphones, blackberries and other portable computers obsolete. It's a pain in the butt to carry all that crap around all the time!

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Edited by - marfknox on 01/09/2006 18:36:49

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2006 :  18:44:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by marfknox

Regardless of the concerns over privacy and ethical questions surrounding this sort of technology, I personally can't wait for the implants that make cellphones, blackberries and other portable computers obsolete. It's a pain in the butt to carry all that crap around all the time!

No-mo re-motes!

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2006 :  19:36:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message
quote:
I personally can't wait for the implants that make cellphones, blackberries and other portable computers obsolete.

Considering that the average piece of hi-tech hardware becomes obsolete after a few years, problems with upgrading (or repair) will take on a whole new meaning. And where would you have sockets for adding extra hardware? (I know where Kryten had his, but I doubt most humans would want one there)

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page

ronnywhite
SFN Regular

501 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2006 :  01:05:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ronnywhite a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Hawks
[br...problems with upgrading ...where would you have sockets ...

Extract front teeth. USB-like port in gums... in the early years, artificial front teeth plug into it... just pullem' out, plug in cable, and upgrade away. Later on, you'll get new plug-in teeth with wireless, more memory, multiple processors etc. built-in so you can "get upgraded" as you wander around about your business, or while sleeping away.

Ron White
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2006 :  01:26:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
And where would you have sockets for adding extra hardware?

At that point we're talking about a level of technology so much farther advanced than today's that speculating over those sorts of questions seems silly to me. But good fodder for humorous SF stories.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Edited by - marfknox on 01/10/2006 01:26:52
Go to Top of Page

Bunga
Skeptic Friend

Sweden
74 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2006 :  11:11:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bunga a Private Message
From Dictionary.com:
cy·borg  Pronunciation Key  (sbôrg)
n.
    A human who has certain physiological processes aided or controlled by mechanical or electronic devices.

Cyborgs stepped out of science-fiction with the invention of the pacemaker. Possibly even the wodded peg-leg.

mmmm... Pirate cyborgs ;).
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds.