Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 12

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2006 :  15:00:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Evidence for perceiving reality and then distorting it before digesting it again becomes the dominant theme.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2006 :  18:39:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:
Me:
Skeptics are the first line of defense against pseudoscience, fraud, quackery and those who claim psychic ability.

Hey Barbara, at least I didn't list “those who claim psychic ability” first. And I am gratified that you actually read that essay. Even if your motive for reading it was possibly a fishing expedition, I'll take it. Actually, you quoted the essay twice.
What you missed, it seems, was the “fine print” directed at skeptics and all would be skeptics.
quote:
Me:
I view skepticism as a method for finding out if a claim has any value by asking questions and considering the evidence for the claim. We become skeptical when a claim does not seem tenable. We approach such a claim with doubt. We want to know more about it. While our doubt may be justified, we must remain open to the idea that the claimant might be able to support that claim. Simply doubting a claim is not enough. We will learn nothing if we remain steeped in doubt. Doubt should serve as the motivator for skeptical inquiry.

Added bolding.

What is a Skeptic and Why Bother Being One?

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2006 :  17:05:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by skepticpsychic
As much as I preach that we all have to get along, I can clearly see how my editorializing humor is counter productive to my core beliefs.

No shit Sherlock...
I'm LMFAO because of the irony of you accusing "us" of attacking you, when you are the one holding the stick that thrashed the hornet's nest. You have no one but your self to blame.
quote:
As much fun as it is to watch you hang yourselves in your own hypocrisy, I have too much work to do making sure I don't hang myself in my own hypocrisy.
Any hypocricy you see is a reflection of your own image. I understand you're taking your blog site down. I think that's a good move, because anyone of sound mind reading it and your exchange with SFN in this thread will be put off of you.

Your poorly disguised attacks on us in your posts does not make up for the reconciliatory moves you've made, and makes your post seem disingenuous me. Having been a member here for quite a while now, I know I speak for many members when I say that we were looking forward to a dialogue about how to scientifically gather evidence for psychic abilities.

In the light of your latest post in this thread, I find it hard to accept any apology you made. GeeMack was right. Every once in a while messed up people come here and attack SFN in the belief that we are adversarial to them (just like you) and their hostile approach creates a self-fulfilling prophecy, and re-inforce their delusional belief that they were right in the first place. Those of us who's been there a few years recognise the style and has indeed seen several such people self-destruct in one way or another. Some provoked with increasing vulgarity or obscenity until they got banned, others were more subtle like you skepticphychic, antagonising everyone with thinly veiled snide attacks and insincere apologies until no dialogue was possible.

It's sad really.
Our acquaintance could have been so much more fulfilling...

(Edited to delete inappropriate wording.
I'm sorry that I've let skepticpsychic provoke me into loosing my temper.)

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Edited by - Dr. Mabuse on 01/23/2006 05:21:20
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2006 :  09:29:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
Hey skepticpsychic, if you're still reading this, care to tell us the outcome of the NFL football games today, and maybe the Super Bowl?

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2006 :  11:15:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
skepticpsychic wrote:
quote:
I assume Halfmoon is a woman because of describing herself as having “sweet skeptical reason” (I love that!)
I'm hoping skepticpsychic will try that reading again. Sooner or later a psychic should be able to get my gender right, especially since it's been published here in my profile all along. When she reads it correctly, I promise to give her credit for doing so.

Seriously, though, I was really hoping for a running record of a reading of Subjectmatter by skepticpsychic in these forums. I was hopeful that such a record might be interesting, perhaps even demonstrating an impressive depth of intuition and human insight that I've always assumed some psychics must have. And my mind was not closed to the idea that hints of something more wonderful and mysterious might be revealed.

But now it appears that the promised reading is evaporating into the same celestial aethers where went Silvia Browne's more famous promise to Jame Randi on the Larry King show, to take his Million Dollar Challenge. Sad.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 01/22/2006 15:31:28
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2006 :  02:41:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by pleco

Hey skepticpsychic, if you're still reading this, care to tell us the outcome of the NFL football games today, and maybe the Super Bowl?

Go Seahawks!!!!!!!! They won, BTW.
Edited by - beskeptigal on 01/23/2006 02:42:21
Go to Top of Page

ronnywhite
SFN Regular

501 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2006 :  03:11:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ronnywhite a Private Message
Hours ago, Kobe Bryant scored 81 points in one game- first time someone broke 80 since Wilt Chamberlain (and basketball's alot tougher now!) Seems to me that kind of thing would set off the cosmic sensors?

Ron White
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2006 :  03:14:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

quote:

Damn, you must be psyhic! The Seaurchins pounded the Painters like maise in a mortar. Good call!

Any predictions on the Sooper Bawl that might be worth taking to my bookie?

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 01/23/2006 03:17:27
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2006 :  03:21:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ronnywhite

Hours ago, Kobe Bryant scored 81 points in one game- first time someone broke 80 since Wilt Chamberlain (and basketball's alot tougher now!) Seems to me that kind of thing would set off the cosmic sensors?

Wow!

My cousin's in the NBA. He started out as second draft pick but his career has been a bit mediocre since getting drafted. We do get free tickets every time he's in town so we'll be going to the game this week. Mavericks vs Sonics.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2006 :  03:22:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

quote:

quote:

Damn, you must be psyhic! The Seaurchins pounded the Painters like maise in a mortar. Good call!

Any predictions on the Sooper Bawl that might be worth taking to my bookie?

Only if you get rid of Rasputin.
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2006 :  06:13:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Yah, I am pulling for the Seahawks too, mainly because of Alexander (being from Alabama and all ).

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.38 seconds.