Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2006 :  15:33:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by socrate
Fuck you and fuck you all members of this forum.
Big Brain, that cuts deep, man. Really, you wound us all. I think we are all going to take a long hard look in the mirror after that one.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

socrate
BANNED

6 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2006 :  15:38:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send socrate a Private Message
Sock-puppet. Post deleted. This poster has been banned.

Kil
Edited by - socrate on 01/17/2006 15:52:14
Go to Top of Page

socrate
BANNED

6 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2006 :  15:55:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send socrate a Private Message
Sock-puppet. Post deleted. This poster has been banned.

Kil
Edited by - socrate on 01/17/2006 16:14:37
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2006 :  16:08:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Giant white tube worm.

A shallow water species, it is commonly found in coral reefs.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2006 :  16:14:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
How quaint.
Bye, B.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

DR_C

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2006 :  16:34:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send DR_C a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by socrate
NEVER SEE YOU AGAIN

Somehow, I doubt that.

Fundie: "I believe God created me in one day."
Bill: "Looks like he rushed it."

The late Bill Hicks
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2006 :  17:09:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
Do us a favor people. Please do not respond to any sock-puppets of BB. It only encourages him… We will contact his internet service provider if this continues. Thanks!

Kil

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2006 :  17:18:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

Giant white tube worm.
http://www.cyhaus.com/marine/worms/worm2.jpg

filthy,
Very graceful beast that tube worm! You don't happen to have access to a good image of Heikea Japonica, the crab with a Samurai face on its carapace? I haven't found a good picture. It probably makes a great example of artificial selection because Japanese fishermen would toss it back over the years if it looked too much like a Samurai, hence to survive the dinner table, it evolved to look fearsome!

If you do, maybe you could start another thread about it so we don't have to hang here. If not, that's OK.

Diversity, independence, innovation and imagination are progressive concepts ultimately alien to the conservative mind.

"TAX AND SPEND" IS GOOD! (TAX: Wealthy corporations who won't go poor even after taxes. SPEND: On public works programs, education, the environment, improvements.)
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2006 :  17:39:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Chippewa

quote:
Originally posted by filthy

Giant white tube worm.
http://www.cyhaus.com/marine/worms/worm2.jpg

filthy,
Very graceful beast that tube worm! You don't happen to have access to a good image of Heikea Japonica, the crab with a Samurai face on its carapace? I haven't found a good picture. It probably makes a great example of artificial selection because Japanese fishermen would toss it back over the years if it looked too much like a Samurai, hence to survive the dinner table, it evolved to look fearsome!

If you do, maybe you could start another thread about it so we don't have to hang here. If not, that's OK.

Don't have anything right to hand, but I'll look it up. Crabs of all kinds are neat as well as tasty. One of my favorites is the burgus, the coconut crab of the South Pacfic. Amazing animal.

Another reef dweller: Bedford's flat worm.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2006 :  20:06:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message
Well, if we're talking underwater creatures, I'll just have to make a contribution on my own. I'm one of a select few (well I was seven years ago) to have seen (in real life) the sea cucumber Ocnus brevidentis. Thousands of these can be found in one spot aptly named "Strawberry fields".

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2006 :  03:55:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Oy veh! How I hate it when legends are built around a species! Searching for the samurai crab (I'd heard of it, but never really looked at it) led me to some odd places -- photographs of this animal are scarce!

I won't go into detail, but it seems that, in fuedal Japan there were two families with no love lost. One defeated the other, and the crab was named for the loser's soldiers: thus the 'Heike' crab. Whether this story is historical or of the whole cloth, I cannot say.

I also learned more about sushi than I ever wanted to know.....

In any event, below is the best photo of this odd, little crab I could come up with.

Cute little bugger, isn't he? In habit, it is pretty much like other crabs, primarily subsisting as a scavenger and opportunistic predator of creatures smaller and slower than itself. I find it a little strange that any search for it's natural history quickly takes you into japanese mythology and then, heigh-ho, off you go to other species, mainly the Japanese spider crab, the largest crab in the world.

Apparently, it is a popular food item in Japan.

Hey bigbrain, how do you like the tiger flatworm?

Pretty, yes?

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2006 :  04:05:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Hawks

Well, if we're talking underwater creatures, I'll just have to make a contribution on my own. I'm one of a select few (well I was seven years ago) to have seen (in real life) the sea cucumber Ocnus brevidentis. Thousands of these can be found in one spot aptly named "Strawberry fields".

That eye candy, I would like to see! Great photo! I am taking the liberty of opening it for the benefit of those among us who would rather die than to open a link:

There are a myriad of sea cucumber species, ranging from spectacular to drab, and many are edible and can be found in oriental fish markets. There is a fish that often resides inside them -- it has been a very long time since I looked at these and I don't recall the species.

Thanks!

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 01/18/2006 04:20:17
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2006 :  01:35:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
At last and alas, this thread sems to have expired peacefully. But before it bites the dust forever, I'll post one more worm to sort of balance them out. Sisile tube worms, free roaming, unsegmented flatworms, and now, here's a free roaming, segmented worm:

Lined Fireworm.

Pretty. Cousins of this one, blood and sand worms, are often used for bait by bay fishermen. And, oh yes, they bite, albeit it's not much more than a tiny nip.

Hey Chip, was the photo of your samurai crab good enough?

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2006 :  03:27:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Maybe you could put something more colorful up in your sig. I just don't like the bald guy all that much to have to look at his picture several times a day.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2006 :  05:34:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

Maybe you could put something more colorful up in your sig. I just don't like the bald guy all that much to have to look at his picture several times a day.

Yeah, I'm a little tired of him, too. I left Crowley on this long because his history is an interesting read.

As is his replacement..... You want colorful? They don't come any more colorful than the "Mad Monk!"

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.