Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2006 :  09:47:20  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
What fish is this

It's one of the chimeras, and that was so easy it was no fun.

I'm having a slow day, today.......

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

trogdor
Skeptic Friend

198 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2006 :  12:04:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send trogdor a Private Message
another living fossil? that would be sweet!

but the article that you linked to says that these chimeras were toothless.
quote:
The fossil remains of this ancestral ratfish are represented by its bony toothless jaws and jaw fragments, dorsal fin spines, and cephalic hooks.

the first picture clearly shows teeth.

all eyes were on Ford Prefect. some of them were on stalks.
-Douglas Adams
Go to Top of Page

GeeMack
SFN Regular

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2006 :  12:35:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GeeMack a Private Message
I'm still trying to find more details, but it looks like the chimeras, closely related to the sharks and rays, don't have scales.
quote:
About: Chimaera...

[The chimera is a] cartilaginous marine fish, related to the sharks. Also called ratfishes, chimaeras are found in temperate oceans throughout the world, mostly in deep water. They have large heads, long, thin, ratlike tails, and large, fanlike pectoral fins. In many species there is a poison spine in front of the first dorsal fin. Their slippery skins are black, gray, or silver, often with stripes or spots.
I'm voting against chimaera. I wonder if filthy is just putting us to the test with this piece o' fishcake of his.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2006 :  13:48:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Nope, as long as it laid out in the sun, and foul as it looks, it's a chimera. Like sharks and rays, there's lots of species. At first, I thought it might be this one, as it ranges throughout the Atlantic, but I'm not so sure. It might be a deep sea species or an entirely new one altogether. But a chimera never the less.

Or a fake.... Can't entirely rule that out and the photos don't really tell as much as might be ideal. And, while April First is still a goodish way out, some people, like to get an early start.

The ratfish is a Pacfic species, and the reason I used it was simply because I was lazy and that was the first coherent article I came across.

Edit: Chimeras are toothless rather in the way most boney fishes are. As this one has laid out in the sun for an extended time, the tissues on the lips have shrunken and the remaining 'teeth' have become prominent.

O'course, I am always open to correction and enlightenment.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 01/14/2006 13:54:53
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.