Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Interactive SFN Forums
 Polls, Votes and Surveys
 Jack the Ripper: Prince or complete nutter?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Lars_H
SFN Regular

Germany
630 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2002 :  16:50:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Lars_H a Private Message
quote:

At least its better than getting "Its a small world" going in one's head. :-).

I have a theory, that to much of the last one can eventually lead to people singing something like the first one about you.

Go to Top of Page

Bradley
Skeptic Friend

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2002 :  11:41:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bradley a Private Message
The infamous rhyme about Lizzie was first sung by the children of Fall River during her trial (and aquittal) for the murders of her father, Andrew Borden, and step-mother, Abigail Borden. Although the actual count of the ax blows were not as the little ditty relates, the up-close-and-personal savagery of the murders seem to indicate that the perpetrator was someone who knew the victims. It was never proven that Lizzie did it. I suspect that it wasn't her, but that she was probably an accessory to the crime.

"Too much doubt is better than too much credulity."

-Robert Green Ingersoll (1833 - 1899)
Go to Top of Page

Biggie

1 Post

Posted - 03/13/2002 :  13:21:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Biggie an AOL message Send Biggie a Private Message
quote:
I understand that investigators expunged some Masonic grafitti at the scene of one of the crimes, and have heard of a Masonic conspiracy theory.

According to the theory that I have seen, Jack the Ripper was part of a Masonic plot to achieve control of the world through ritualistic killings. Apparently the murders were carried out in the same fashion that Hiram Abiff, the master Mason that built the Temple of Solomon, was killed.

Go to Top of Page

Bradley
Skeptic Friend

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2002 :  15:56:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bradley a Private Message
quote:
According to the theory that I have seen, Jack the Ripper was part of a Masonic plot to achieve control of the world through ritualistic killings. Apparently the murders were carried out in the same fashion that Hiram Abiff, the master Mason that built the Temple of Solomon, was killed.

Whatever connection the Ripper murders may have had to freemasonry or any of its members, the theory of a masonic conspiracy to "achieve control of the world through ritualistic killings" somehow doesn't seem to fit; the psychology is wrong. The fact that the victims were all prostitutes indicates the agency of a moralistic type with the squirreliest notions about human sexuality (like saul of tarsus), probably the victim of sadistic sexual abuse and a fanatical religious upbringing, out to punish individuals he perceived of as "naughty sinners." Many well-known serial killers of the last century fit this description.

Go to Top of Page

Bradley
Skeptic Friend

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2002 :  14:06:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bradley a Private Message
To expand on my previous comments, fanatical groups seeking to gain power through ritualistic killings do not target streetwalkers like the Ripper did, they typically target the affluent. A good example of this is the Manson cult murders.

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2002 :  16:36:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Well, Jacky might or might not have been a Freemason. That's impossible to know for sure. I'd say most likely not.

As serial killers go, he didn't have all that impressive a record as compared to Peter Kurtin, Andri Chikatilo, Albert Fish, or even Jeffery Dalhmer. He was obviously a raging phycopath and should have gone on longer. So, the question is: Why did he stop so soon? For the most part, these guys don't simply retire until they're locked up or dead.

Alas, we'll never know, which is the morbid beauty of Jack the Ripper.

f

"Don't tell me your doubts; I've got enough doubts of my own. Tell me something you BELIEVE in!"
Brother Dave Gardner
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2002 :  16:36:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Well, Jacky might or might not have been a Freemason. That's impossible to know for sure. I'd say most likely not.

As serial killers go, he didn't have all that impressive a record as compared to Peter Kurtin, Andri Chikatilo, Albert Fish, or even Jeffery Dalhmer. He was obviously a raging phycopath and should have gone on longer. So, the question is: Why did he stop so soon? For the most part, these guys don't simply retire until they're locked up or dead.

Alas, we'll never know, which is the morbid beauty of Jack the Ripper.

f

"Don't tell me your doubts; I've got enough doubts of my own. Tell me something you BELIEVE in!"
Brother Dave Gardner
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2002 :  16:38:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Sorry 'bout the stutter. I got my tongue caught in my eye teeth and couldn't see what I was sayin'

f

Brother Dave Gardner
Go to Top of Page

Donnie B.
Skeptic Friend

417 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2002 :  17:25:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Donnie B. a Private Message
Geez, I can't believe you people. Don't you watch Star Trek (TOS)? Jack the Ripper was an alien who fed on violent emotions. He just moved off-planet, and continued his killing spree until Kirk trapped him in the Enterprise computer.

There, now we can all stop speculating

-- Donnie B.

Brian: "No, no! You have to think for yourselves!" Crowd: "Yes! We have to think for ourselves!"
Go to Top of Page

echthroi_man
Skeptic Friend

104 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2002 :  18:33:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send echthroi_man a Private Message
quote:

Geez, I can't believe you people. Don't you watch Star Trek (TOS)? Jack the Ripper was an alien who fed on violent emotions. He just moved off-planet, and continued his killing spree until Kirk trapped him in the Enterprise computer.

There, now we can all stop speculating

No, no, no. He was human, alright, but the Vorlans took him to be their inquisitor whenever someone declared himself to be "The One".

Seriously, though, I have to say that I find the William Gull/Masonic conspiracy theory of Stephen Knight quite convincing.

The Irish Headhunter

Oblivion -- When you REALLY want to get away from it all!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.