Post/Thread of the Month, January, 2006
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2006 :  12:26:42  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Since it's near the beginning of the month, I'd like to issue the SFN's regular call for nominations for both "Post of the Month" and "Thread of the Month," for January, 2006. We'll collect the nominations here in this thread, and then the staff will make the final choices, and publish links to the selected post and thread in the first Skeptic Summary following the beginning of the next month, and I'll edit the selected items to reflect their status.

Please keep in mind the SFN's mission statement when nominating posts and threads:
The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.
The reason I'm starting this thread now is that I'd like you to go ahead and post nominations while things are fresh in your head, instead of trying to remember stuff after the month in question is over. Feel free to nominate more than one post and/or thread, or even to "de-nominate" your own previous nominations if you feel that a better post or thread comes along later in the month.

Please do not nominate your own posts, or even threads you've started. And let's definitely refrain from arguing about nominations (or the results). Also, while I've got high hopes for this effort, I feel I must say that the staff reserves the right to disqualify, modify or otherwise ignore any and all nominations for "Post of the Month" and "Thread of the Month," and we also reserve the right to change, modify or otherwise ignore any rule or guideline, whether they be express, implied or completely unstated.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.

Subjectmatter
Skeptic Friend

173 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2006 :  14:23:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Subjectmatter a Private Message
I would like to nominate GeeMack's post (no. four) in this thread, page nine.

For addressing sucessfully, concisely and clearly all the issues at hand without:

-Being overly nasty, as is easy to become in situations like these.
-Rambling, as one might when writing a post with a variety of points to illustrate.

And for maintaining an even, albeit caustic, rational tone throughout.

Personally I think that this level of acid is more than warranted when we as a community have suffered such a barrage from the subject.

P.S. How do I link straight to the post as I have seen some do previously?

Sibling Atom Bomb of Couteous Debate
Edited by - Subjectmatter on 01/18/2006 14:42:18
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2006 :  14:17:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Subjectmatter
P.S. How do I link straight to the post as I have seen some do previously?

There are several ways for the HTML-savvy, but for regular users, this is probably the simplest way:

1) get the URL to the page in which the post is, and copy it. In this case, page 9:
http://www.skepticfriends.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5483&whichpage=9

2) Find the post of your choice, and click the reply-with-quote button.

3) Once the reply-page has opened, examine the URL:

http://www.skepticfriends.org/forum/post.asp?method=ReplyQuote&REPLY_ID=82354&TOPIC_ID=5483&FORUM_ID=5

The number bolded, 82354 is the id-number of the post.

4) add the bracket sign '#' and the number, to the URL you copied in the first stage:

http://www.skepticfriends.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5483&whichpage=9#82354

5) Done! You may now hide the link in the URL-forum code:
[url="put your link here inside quotation marks"]GeeMack's post[/url]

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Edited by - Dr. Mabuse on 01/19/2006 14:18:16
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2006 :  14:25:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message

GeeMack's post

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Subjectmatter
Skeptic Friend

173 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2006 :  14:48:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Subjectmatter a Private Message
Thank you.

Sibling Atom Bomb of Couteous Debate
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2006 :  09:29:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
PotM for sheer tenacity.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2006 :  13:34:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
Reminder...

The Month is fast running out, and we'd like to have more suggestions for Post and Thread of the month. Just because there are already some nominations, doesn't mean you shouldn't nominate one too...

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds.