Dennis Miller
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2006 :  20:43:10  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
(Had this been said by anyone else, I would have stuck it in the Humor Folder. But I'm guessing that Miller's overall attitude (voting for Bush because Kerry wouldn't scare the shit out of the rest of the world) might cause some discussion. Anyway...)

Miller said at least one funny thing (I just tuned in halfway through) in his latest stand-up show, "All In."

He said, "Bush didn't say we'd find nuclear weapons [in Iraq], he said we'd find 'nukular' weapons."

(Okay, a full six minutes later and Miller is still defending Bush's foreign policy. Is that all this show is?)

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2006 :  01:07:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
I must say when Leno announced Miller was coming up next, I turned the channel. Would it be that you saw the show he was on Leno to promote?
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2006 :  01:49:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Possibly. Until I saw what little I did of that show, I had no idea at all that Miller was in any way a Bush supporter. I mean, just a few years ago on his HBO series, he seemed to lean more towards ultra-liberalism.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2006 :  07:54:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
I recall him (I used to like him) saying that he "turned" after 9/11.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2006 :  18:15:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Ah, so he's just scared shitless.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

ronnywhite
SFN Regular

501 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2006 :  21:05:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ronnywhite a Private Message
I don't know much about him other than seeing one of his movies and hearing him announce football once or twice, I think, but as with the rest of the entertainment types, I don't know why people would especially care or think that what he has to say RE politics, international affairs, etc. is any better than what their own judgment might dictate. Otherwise, we should maybe put Harrison Ford in charge of Homeland Security and have Sylvestor Stallone or Chuck Norris appointed Secretary of Defense or somethin' But yeah, for whatever reasons, some voters listen to those guys.

Ron White
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2006 :  11:19:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
Dennis Miller is a very intelligent guy.

He used to have a really great show on HBO, and he used to be what the republicans would call a godless liberal. He would rip apart the logical fallacies of right wing politicians (and sometimes left also, if they were stupid), throw in a rant littered with obscure pop-culture references, and a guest or two... it was excellent TV.

Then, one day, he turned into a giant steaming piece of crap who did nothing but repeat republican talking points.

He claims that "fatherhood" is what made him turn into a conservative. He mumbles some nonsense about how once you are a parent you realize how irresponsible it is to be a liberal.

He was, back in the day, a great commedian.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

ronnywhite
SFN Regular

501 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2006 :  15:27:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ronnywhite a Private Message
Interesting. I haven't had HBO in years, so that explains that. RE such "transformations" or (supposed) "enlightenments" (I've seen that a few times) sometimes I've wondered what was behind it. Maybe cash, or something that indirectly equates. Whatever the cause, I seriously doubt it's that "Suddenly, all of the pieces just fell together, and it dawned upon me just how entirely wrong I had been."

Ron White
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2006 :  15:48:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Not to change the subject but I was amazed that Bob Woodward is such a Republican convert. Bernstein is clearly still true to the ideals of the 60-70s. To see figures like Miller and Woodward who I thought of as on my side of the values wars grow up to join the other side is quite disturbing.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2006 :  16:22:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
quote:
To see figures like Miller and Woodward who I thought of as on my side of the values wars grow up to join the other side is quite disturbing.

They got rich and fell for the con realized that the political party to protect their personal wealth was the republican party.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

ronnywhite
SFN Regular

501 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2006 :  21:41:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ronnywhite a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dude

They got rich and

Maybe Miller was telling the truth about the because he "had kids" bit then, with all of the debate about the Estate Tax (Inheritance Tax, Paris Hilton Tax wuddever) going on. (ha ha)

Ron White
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2006 :  09:47:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
I finally saw the Miller show. I can't say I was surprised though. He had been dropping hints of his change for some time. For example I heard in a conversation with him that people should stop thinking of Bush as “Chance the Gardener,” a reference from the book and movie, “Being There”.

What I found sad was how complete the conversion to conservative politics seems to be. His comic instincts apparently now only allow him to make fun of Democrats. As his lead up to defending Bush he spent several minutes on the Democrats silliness without mentioning the oodles of stuff that could be held up to the light of satirical humor that the Republicans have delivered. Outing a CIA agent comes to mind. The administrations response to Katrina is another. There is just so much, maybe he didn't know where to begin. Yeah… That's the ticket…

Miller has lost his mind. It used to be that he took on both parties with a keen eye for the absurd (and there is plenty of it to go around) which I found funny. Not anymore.

It was hard to watch such a partisan display of cognitive dissonance with regard to politics in America. Oh well…

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2006 :  11:39:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message
The only Miller line that ever stuck with me was his response to, "Are you born again?" His response (paraphrased) "No, I believe I got it right the first time." I suppose that it has been a while since he has used that line.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2006 :  14:27:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Being There? That's it, Bush fits the mentally retarded part. Do you think he like's to watch?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds.