Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2006 :  00:59:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Robb

I do not beleive that macroevolution occured but...

By the way, does anybody know of a good book on evolution that discusses the current theories that a person without a biology and chemistry degree can understand?
Hi Robb!
Have you seen "29+ Evidences for Macroevolution
The Scientific Case for Common Descent"
? It covers most of macroevolution and is fairly easy to understand.

May I ask why you do not believe that macroevolution occurred?

"Any religion that makes a form of torture into an icon that they worship seems to me a pretty sick sort of religion quite honestly"
-- Terry Jones
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2006 :  09:10:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ricky

As I walked into the lecture room, wearing my SFN shirt of course, I was quite amazed at how many people there were. I was 15 minutes early after all, and all of the room was filled except for the back two corners.

The presentation started almost on time, about 5-10 minutes late. One of the first things Hovind did was that he asked all the literal, 6 day Creation, 6,000 year old earth people to stand up. To my surprise, 80-85% of the people stood up, although the majority of these were from churches around the area. He did the same for theistic evolutionists and naturalists, each with about 5% of the people standing.

And so the presentation started. For the first 5 minutes, all he did was restate things such as, "Do you believe there should believe lies in textbooks." The entire time, I was thinking, "Just get to the point, what do you think the lies are?" And when he finally got to the point, I thought, "When is he going to shut up?"

He went on and on with a vast majority of it being the standard Creationist Claims. I won't bore you all here, you already know them. One argument that I've never heard a Creationist use is that in moving water, multiple layers form simultaneously. Now if he was talking about a river, that is obviously false, although I don't know about the bottom of the ocean in an area with high current, such as the Gulf Stream. He wasn't clear on the context.

He also talked about the moths which changed color. He claimed these to be a complete myth, or rather hoax. He said that scientists took black moths and nailed them to trees to take their picture. Considering this is only a case of microevolution, I fail to see what point he wanted to make, since he accepts it. But I never heard this talked about as being a hoax.

I also wrote down the occasional Hovind quote. When talking about the Grand Caynon, he said it was "...a waste of real estate." To me, this quote emphasizes that Hovind thinks the world was created by God for man to use, and nothing more. After briefly going over, "kinds," he started talking about species and said, "You have to define exactly what you're talking about." which I found quite hypocritical. When talking about light, he said, "We don't know what light is." and, "We can't paint [light] red."

The entire presentation was fairly boring, but the Q/A section was well worth the wait. Had I known there would be a Q/A section, I would have prepared one using some of Hovind's own quotes. Sadly, I didn't. I needed a something that Hovind said that was quick, concise, and clearly wrong. I decided to go with Hovind's claim that Hitler was supported by evolutionary views, arguing that evolution actually supports diversity and not the killing off of one part of the species.

The vast majority of the Q/A was people asking a simple question and Hovind talking about it and anything remotely related to it (and some things not even related at all). Most either weren't prepared for Hovind's responses or couldn't think on their toes the way Hovind could. Anytime someone decided to step down when they found they were going nowhere, the audience would laugh. One person actually went up to the mic and said something along the lines of, "I just want to first address the audience, by laughing at the people up here you are mocking them and that really isn't the Christian thing to do."

By far, the best was when the astrophysicist professor went up. During the presentation, Hovind had said that we can't accurately measure the distance to stars. The professor (I forget his name) actually made these measurements. He went over the methods actually used instead of what Hovind presented. All Hovind could do was go back to the method he presented and tell him, "I don't believe you." He tried to change the topic to red shift, but the profes

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2006 :  10:46:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ricky:

One argument that I've never heard a Creationist use is that in moving water, multiple layers form simultaneously.

That would be laminar flow. Whether flow is laminar or turbulent depends on the Reynolds number. What the hell any of this has to do with creation isn't clear, although I would guess Dr? Dino would somehow try to use the dynamics of laminar flow to somehow support the layering of fossils following the big flood. Although based on the math I find it hard to believe there would be much laminar flow in that imaginary event.

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2006 :  13:53:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
Hovind used it to say that just because something is at lower layer doesn't mean it's older than the layer above it.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Ghost_Skeptic
SFN Regular

Canada
510 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2006 :  19:16:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ghost_Skeptic a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy the dinosaur shat in the dairy barn.

Tyrannosaur turd, a coprolite from Glenn Morton's fossil collection.

I haste it when they do that.

I think I missed my calling - I shoulda been a paleocoprologist.
I could argue with YECs using the very material that their arguments are constructed from.

"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. / You can send a kid to college but you can't make him think." - B.B. King

History is made by stupid people - The Arrogant Worms

"The greater the ignorance the greater the dogmatism." - William Osler

"Religion is the natural home of the psychopath" - Pat Condell

"The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter" - Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.34 seconds.