Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Our Skeptic Forums
 Religion
 Worldwide Riots for a few cartoons? Frightening!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2006 :  16:43:43  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Click here for image.

I actually found this one a bit funny.

This is a frightening example of how damaging and evil religion still is in our world. Maybe I should be an atheist activist after all.

For those of you not having turned on the telly yet today: Muslims Riot around the World over Reprinted Danish Cartoons

[Edited to change image into a link - Dave W.]

Edited by - beskeptigal on 02/03/2006 16:46:40

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2006 :  16:56:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
How insecure does one have to be? A joke about Muhammed (not even a god, just a man) and millions fly off the handle.

I will never understand the irrationality behind it.

You'd think that Allah can take care of itself, Allah willing.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Edited by - pleco on 02/03/2006 16:56:41
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2006 :  16:58:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Nothing has killed, maimed, tortured, or persecuted more people than religion. It sometimes seems that the ethical teachings of religions are simply casual, unintended by-products. Only if the gods don't kill us first, maybe we humans can muddle along and have a chance to solve our earthly problems.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2006 :  17:00:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
From the article:
quote:
"Bin Laden our beloved, Denmark must be blown up," the protesters chanted.

I thought Islam was a religion of peace? That's what they keep trying to sell us, anyway.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 02/03/2006 17:02:51
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2006 :  17:15:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
As an American, I am strangely tempted to be somewhat comforted by the spectacle of peaceful little Denmark taking my country's unenviable place in as a primary monster in the bestiary of Islamic fanatics. But this is a deadly serious matter, and I resist the temptation.

Why any Muslims should think Islamic religous law applies outside the Muslim world is beyond me.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2006 :  18:16:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
Beskeptigal, can you please edit your post to inlcude some text above the picture? As it is now, it appears on the SFN home page where it messes with the layout. (It's a bug we haven't gotten to fix yet)

Edit: Ignore this message, Dave_W fixed the image.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Edited by - Dr. Mabuse on 02/03/2006 19:16:39
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2006 :  18:22:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
Many European newspapers are re-printing the pictures without permission of the copyright owners. Expect lawsuits... One French editor(?) has already been sacked aparently, however the article I read didn't hazard a guess of the reason. (I think it was the copyright issue)
Anyway, expect something interesting to happen with the money once the copyright fees are starting to roll in.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

GeeMack
SFN Regular

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2006 :  18:29:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GeeMack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner...

Why any Muslims should think Islamic religous law applies outside the Muslim world is beyond me.
And what makes them any different than Christians in that regard?
Go to Top of Page

ljbrs
SFN Regular

USA
842 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2006 :  18:40:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ljbrs a Private Message
I have never been religious, have never believed in God, Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy, etc.; the list is long! My mother forced me to attend church with my family. It did not work. I have friends who (I suppose) are religious. However, as long as they make no attempt to proselytize concerning their religious beliefs, I have maintained their friendships. I have never proselytized about my lack of religion. In this way, I can get along with many people.

ljbrs :)

"Innumerable suns exist; innumerable earths revolve about these suns in a manner similar to the way the seven planets revolve around our sun. Living beings inhabit these worlds."
Giordano Bruno
(Burned at the stake by the Roman Catholic Church Inquisition in 1600)
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2006 :  19:01:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
The Danish newspaper hit the nail, but wasn't first nor novel:

From http://www.zombietime.com/mohammed_image_archive/

quote:
Depictions of Mohammed Throughout History

Controversy over the publication of images depicting Mohammed in the Danish newspaper Jyllands-Posten has erupted into an international furor. While Muslims worldwide are calling for a boycott of Denmark and any other nation whose press reprints the cartoons, Europeans are trying to stand up for Western principles of freedom of speech and not cave in to self-censorship in the name of multiculturalism and fear.

While the debate rages, an important point has been overlooked: despite the Islamic prohibition against depicting Mohammed under any circumstances, hundreds of paintings, drawings and other images of Mohammed have been created over the centuries, with nary a word of complaint from the Muslim world. The recent cartoons in Jyllands-Posten are nothing new; it's just that no other images of Mohammed have ever been so widely publicized.

In the link above are many pics of Muhammed, but we haven't heard a peep about them...

The Muslims who get angry about these cartoons really need to grow a sense of humor, and some dearly needed self perspective.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Bill scott
SFN Addict

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2006 :  19:11:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bill scott a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by GeeMack

quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner...

(bill) Well, to be fair I don't think the Christians would "think Islamic law applies outside the Muslim world" either.

"Lets get one thing clear, Bill. Science does make some assumptions." -perrodetokio-

"In the end as skeptics we must realize that there is no real knowledge, there is only what is most reasonable to believe." -Coelacanth-

The fact that humans do science is what causes errors in science. -Dave W.-

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2006 :  19:28:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
http://www.sermitsiaq.gl//index.php?option=content&task=view&id=314

Have patience, it's a heavily loaded server...

http://michellemalkin.com/archives/004413.htm

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Edited by - Dr. Mabuse on 02/03/2006 19:46:12
Go to Top of Page

GeeMack
SFN Regular

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2006 :  19:29:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GeeMack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Scott...

Well, to be fair I don't think the Christians would "think Islamic law applies outside the Muslim world" either.
Probably true. Of course there's a little catch. The Muslim world, just like everyone else's world, starts at the equator on the Greenwich meridian, and extends 90 degrees due north and 90 degrees due south from that spot, and stretches to all points 180 degrees eastward and 180 degrees westward of that line.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2006 :  19:33:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
I, frankly, am shocked that anyone would find it shocking that cartoons intended to piss off devout Muslims have actually pissed off devout Muslims.

Really, what's happened is nothing more than what one should expect when one tries to inflame any substantial minority of the population. I'm sure we could incite riots here in the 'States by portraying Jesus as sharing Fred Phelps' rabid hatred, or by portraying Martin Luther King as a gangsta thug out on a drive-by, or any of a number of other moronic stereotypes.

This isn't about religion nearly as much as it's about figuratively spitting on someone else's ideals. It's just a matter of finding an ideal that people care about deeply - like they do religion. Given enough time and resources, I'm sure we could come up with something which would have a similar effect on model train enthusiasts. Hell, I've heard that it's pretty damn simple to get British football fans to turn to violence, and I bet if you were to don a Seahawks jersey this weekend and strut around Pittsburg shouting "Steelers suck" it wouldn't take long before you wound up face down in the dirt (at least).

It's not religion that's at fault here, it's our ability to take personally an impersonal statement which has caused this outrage over some cartoons. From my point of view, the non-religious still have things they care about deeply enough for this sort of crap to happen. So even after religions are eliminated from the planet, we'll still see things like this, except they'll be about racial or sexual or sports or music or daytime-TV stereotypes (etc).

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Bill scott
SFN Addict

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2006 :  19:46:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bill scott a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by GeeMack

quote:
Originally posted by Bill Scott...

Well, to be fair I don't think the Christians would "think Islamic law applies outside the Muslim world" either.
Probably true. Of course there's a little catch. The Muslim world, just like everyone else's world, starts at the equator on the Greenwich meridian, and extends 90 degrees due north and 90 degrees due south from that spot, and stretches to all points 180 degrees eastward and 180 degrees westward of that line.

Probably true. However there is a little catch. The evolutionists world, unlike anybody else's, could have started in a "warm little pond." Or so they say...

"Lets get one thing clear, Bill. Science does make some assumptions." -perrodetokio-

"In the end as skeptics we must realize that there is no real knowledge, there is only what is most reasonable to believe." -Coelacanth-

The fact that humans do science is what causes errors in science. -Dave W.-

Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2006 :  20:00:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.
I'm sure we could incite riots here in the 'States by portraying Jesus as sharing Fred Phelps' rabid hatred, or by portraying Martin Luther King as a gangsta thug out on a drive-by, or any of a number of other moronic stereotypes.
Well, I'm not sure about riots, but I'm sure you'd get a reaction. However, I think both of your ideas would make excellent political cartoons, since the entire point of them is to provoke--hopefully discussion and/or reflection. If your reaction to the material is "Hey, we're not like that," then it seems rather counterproductive to act even more violent and barbaric than the caricatures presented in the cartoons. Denmark must be blown up? Give me a break, Dave. After statements like that you can't even call these cartoons satirical exaggerations.

I will say this isn't about religion per se, but about the greater Muslim culture and its history of intolerance. They are going to have to learn how to live in a world where they can't just murder anyone who dares to "mock" Islam. Iran still has a fatwa requiring the death of Salmon Rushdie, for god's sake.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds.