Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2006 :  06:21:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
From the BA Blog, Deutsch resigns.

http://www.badastronomy.com/bablog/2006/02/07/deutsch-resigns-from-nasa/

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2006 :  06:49:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
Don't worry Deutschie!

You've been doing a heck of a job, and W will find another way for the taxpayers to support you.
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2006 :  08:09:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Starman

Don't worry Deutschie!

You've been doing a heck of a job, and W will find another way for the taxpayers to support you.

LOL

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2006 :  08:48:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Starman

Don't worry Deutschie!

Perhaps as head of FEMA?

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2006 :  11:38:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Valiant Dancer mimed:
quote:
From the BA Blog, Deutsch resigns.

That is so cool! I bet the NASA Directer, a Bush man but not a nut job, was glad for the simple resume excuse for firing Deutsch. It was wonderful how scientists were coming out of the woodwork over this issue, foaming at the mouth. They stooped just short of issuing a fatwah against Deutsch. That was just one more sign of the pendulum turning on Bush and his band of incompetents, thieves and theocrats.

This means our secret Big Bang worship covens can now come out of hiding.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

The Bad Astronomer
Skeptic Friend

137 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2006 :  14:12:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Bad Astronomer's Homepage Send The Bad Astronomer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal
I have never read the BA to be so political but here this is affecting NASA where he works.

Just a comment: I don't work at NASA. I don't even work *for* NASA! I have NASA grants through my University to do education and public outreach. :-)

The Bad Astronomer
http://www.badastronomy.com
"With tremendous respect to [the] BA, the problem isn't getting scientists to talk, the problem can be getting them to shut up."
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2006 :  14:18:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
The Bad Astronomer said:
quote:
Just a comment: I don't work at NASA. I don't even work *for* NASA! I have NASA grants through my University to do education and public outreach. :-)

Even so, the stand you took required some courage. Thank you so much for significantly helping to crystalize the scientific community against that wanna-be-theocrat, Deutsch! Your blog helped save NASA.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 02/09/2006 14:20:15
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2006 :  17:04:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Bad Astronomer

quote:
I have never read the BA to be so political but here this is affecting NASA where he works.

Long time, no hear from, Phil! Good to see ya back here....

I'm afraid that it is impossible to seperate science from politics as long as the government provides a large part of the funding, as the current stem cell research nonsense clearly demonstrates.

What really astonished me about Deutsch was that he was appointed to such high office at 24 years old with exactly 0 experience in the field(s). What incredible arrogance on the part of the administration, to even suggest such a person!

Hopefully, his replacement will have some decent qualifications and has studied something other than the Bible....

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2006 :  02:21:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
Deutschie has defended him self
NYT : Ex-Press Aide for NASA Offers Defense
quote:
Speaking to a Texas radio station and then to The New York Times, Mr. Deutsch said the scientist, James E. Hansen, exaggerated the threat of warming and tried to cast the Bush administration's response to it as inadequate.

"I have never been told to censor science, to squelch anything or to insert religion into any issue," he told the radio reporter, Brian Cain.

After seeing a transcript of some of the criticisms, Dr. Hansen said, "This is so wacky that it deserves little response."
Part of the radio interview can be found here.

From Amygdala
quote:
In the interview, Mr. Deutsch said that Dr. Hansen had partisan ties "all the way up to the top of the Democratic Party," and that he was "using those ties and using his media connections to push an agenda, a worst-case-scenario agenda of global warming." He said that anyone who disagrees with Dr. Hansen "is labeled a censor and is demonized and vilified in the media — and the media of course is a willing accomplice here."

Mr. Deutsch contended that although Dr. Hansen was a scientist, he wanted to talk about policy as well as science. "He wants to demean the president, he wants to demean the administration and create a false perception that the administration is watering down science and lying to the public," Mr. Deutsch said. "And that is patently false."

Mr. Deutsch said he resigned of his own volition because he was unhappy with the negative publicity he and NASA were receiving in the news media. "I was just sick of it," he said. "I was being smeared. My integrity and credibility was being questioned. And as a human being, as a human being, I just could not take it anymore."

Edited by - Starman on 02/10/2006 02:35:57
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2006 :  03:02:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Awww... Such an unfortunate fellow, to be picked on and bullied by some nerd in a lab coat. How sad that Bush flunkies are so discriminated against.

I grieve for the future of NASA without Mr. Deutsch's steady hand at it's helm.....

And that's about as patheic a whine as I've come across in a long time.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 02/10/2006 03:06:07
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2006 :  05:29:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message
quote:
"When I left college," he said, "I did not properly update my résumé. As a result, it may appear misleading to some. However, I was up front with NASA about my undergraduate status when they hired me."

Attention to detail? NO
Accepting responsibility for own mistakes? NO
Spinning the truth? YES

Some one clear me up on this. I thought that Deutsch was a political appointee, did NASA really have much say in his hiring?

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2006 :  05:41:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by moakley

quote:
"When I left college," he said, "I did not properly update my résumé. As a result, it may appear misleading to some. However, I was up front with NASA about my undergraduate status when they hired me."

Attention to detail? NO
Spinning the truth? YES

Some one clear me up on this. I thought that Deutsch was a political appointee, did NASA really have much say in his hiring?

You got it right, moak. No one at NASA is stupid enough to place an inexperienced 24-year-old undergrad in any position of authority. Bush, however, is exactly that stupid. Deutsch's gig was simply a reward for services rendered, as are many if not all of his appointments. Actual qualifications matter not at all.

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 02/10/2006 05:44:11
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2006 :  03:23:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Bad Astronomer

quote:

I Know, I read that after comments on your blog. Sorry for not attending to details here.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2006 :  03:25:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by moakley

quote:

Attention to detail? NO
Spinning the truth? YES

Seems to be the qualities Bush likes in his appointees.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.