Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2006 :  11:05:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kil

quote:
Robb:
Also, it seems that you would want to put a news agency out of buisness for their content and not for anything illegal they may have done. When it comes to politics or religion there is alot of bias here for a skeptics site.

No no Robb. I would defend Fox's right to be unfair and unbalanced on first amendment grounds alone. But it is also fair to point out what lying weasels they really are. Do I have a bias? Absolutely. When talking about politics and religion, critical thinking will only take you so far. It isn't as though all skeptics agree on matters of politics or even religion. Unless a specific claim is made that can be shown to be true of false, I am perfectly willing to admit my bias.

That said, you know as well as I do that Fox has a bias. And when I can get them on the facts alone, I will. Turns out that they are pretty easy pickings in that department…

I agree, but Fox News does not seem to have anything to do with the Fred Phelps story as the article mentioned. As far as the bias I was talking about, it seems the article was taken at face value to be true without any question of the accuracy because it agreed with most of the idea's presented here.

Also, I was talking about Halfmooner's comment that their license should be taken away not any comment you made.

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. - George Washington
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2006 :  11:31:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Hi Robb; welcome back!

I freely admit my bias. Fox News has an less than enviable record of spinning, and outright lying. For instance:

And what is wrong with this picture, hmmm?

So if they're taking heat for Phelps's venom instead of their contributer, well, tough titty. They should do something to improve their reputation so they won't get such knee-jerk reactions.

As for religion, my bias is plain for all to see, and we've been through that before.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 10/07/2006 01:49:58
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2006 :  21:11:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Robb

I agree, but Fox News does not seem to have anything to do with the Fred Phelps story as the article mentioned.
You are correct. Mike Gallagher bribed Phelps.
quote:
As far as the bias I was talking about, it seems the article was taken at face value to be true without any question of the accuracy because it agreed with most of the idea's presented here.
This is typically what everyone does with information that doesn't contradict prior experience. I don't check my concrete steps for stability every day before I leave the house, either. Given new evidence (like they suddenly give way under me someday), perhaps that will change. Similarly, I was and am more than willing to change my opinion about FOX News on this particular matter given evidence I hadn't seen before, and here you are, Robb: thanks.

But I do also hope that you reflect for a moment on all the ideas you accept at face value because they agree with what you already believe to be true (the location of your silverware drawer, that your car is supposed to start when you turn the ignition key, that the Sun will rise in the east, etc.). Doubting everything will cause a person to freeze up with uncertainty ("maybe there will be no air if I take another step! But if I don't move, maybe I'll use up the air here!"). In reality, lots of things that appear to be true at first really are true. The brand of skepticism we're interested in here involved being able to both recognize new information and to change our minds in its light (and even 'fess up to our mistakes), not simple doubting.
quote:
Also, I was talking about Halfmooner's comment that their license should be taken away not any comment you made.
And that was a bit much, wasn't it? It may be cliché, but the answer to unpopular speech is more speech, not silencing the speakers.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2006 :  22:20:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

Hi Robb; welcome back!

I freely admit my bias. Fox News has an less than enviable record of spinning, and outright lying. For instance:

So if they're taking heat for Phelps's vemon instead of their contributer, well, tough titty. They should do something to improve their reputation so they won't get such knee-jerk reactions.

As for religion, my bias is plain for all to see, and we've been through that before.

Wow, just wow. It was one thing when it showed up in one screen on O'Reilly. How can you not think it is a conscious effort to shift the blame?

I hope CNN feels there is a story there. I say we all write to CNN news tips with the blog site.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2006 :  22:30:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
http://www.cnn.com/exchange/ireports/topics/forms/breaking.news.html

The link to CNN news tips. The more hits they get the more they may make a story of it. I sent one.
Edited by - beskeptigal on 10/06/2006 22:31:07
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2006 :  00:29:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Robb

quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner

quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

This just in: Phelps was going to protest at the Amish girls' funeral, but FOX News bribed him out of it.

Such a deal! So, instead of an obscene protest that would only make him hated even more, Fox gives Fred Phelps a free hour on nationally syndicated radio to spew hate speech worthy of Hitler (R-Aus)? Fox needs to have its broadcasting licenses revoked at once!

Mike Gallagher works for Fox News as a contributer and guest host. Fox News does not own his radio program.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,100320,00.html

Mike Gallagher (not Fox News)offered the Westboro Baptist Church a 1 hour radio spot on his show in return they would not protest at the Amish childrens funeral. At least someone is trying to legally do something to stop their protests at funerals since it is legal for them to protest at these funerals. Peoplr are more important than politics or religion). I heard the radio program this morning and yes it was hate speech, but it exposed them for what they are. So I do not think the facts in this article are accurate.

http://rjr10036.typepad.com/proceed_at_your_own_risk/2006/10/fox_abomination.html

Also, it seems that you would want to put a news agency out of buisness for their content and not for anything illegal they may have done. When it comes to politics or religion there is alot of bias here for a skeptics site.

Edited to fix link.

If Fox hires Mike Gallagher, uses him as a guest host, collects advertising dollars for his programming, and transmits his stuff nationwide, and has not fired/broken off their arrangement with Gallagher after he gave an hour for Phelps to spew hate, then since when is Fox not responsible? The airways are not in all respects identical to other means of free expression -- the FCC does have an duty to require that corporations do not abuse the limited bandwidth of the public airways. I stand by my call to delicense Fox.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2006 :  14:14:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:

It is unavailable?

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2006 :  15:31:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

quote:

It is unavailable?

It's still up in the link, although I rather doubt it'll be found on any web page associated with Fox at this late date. And Fox is not the only one that IDd Foley as a Democrat. I've read that some other mainstream news organs did as well, including Associated Press.

The consequences of such an act are, or at least should be, grave and I'm a bit suprised that they did it. If it's really a mistake, they look like idiots and need to fire their editorial staff; if not and they get outed, they look like scumbags and need to fire everybody and start over from scratch. I opt for idiots either way; how could they think that this would fly? Do they really believe that we are that stupid?

If I remember what I've read about it over the last several days, the picture was put up on Bill O'Reilly's half-ring circus -- the pic posted looks like it might have been taken from a TV screen. So, was it a mere mistake? Or pure scumbaggery?

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 10/07/2006 15:36:50
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2006 :  16:19:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message
They must have done it deliberately so as to plant a seed in their viewer base of pro-Bush supporters. They can always claim an error later but it was done just to get the disinformation out. Fox viewers can then say:

"Evee Buddee noooes dat we dun foun weapons a' mass duction in Eye-rack n' dat theyer Mark Foelee izza Demcrat perv."

Diversity, independence, innovation and imagination are progressive concepts ultimately alien to the conservative mind.

"TAX AND SPEND" IS GOOD! (TAX: Wealthy corporations who won't go poor even after taxes. SPEND: On public works programs, education, the environment, improvements.)
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2006 :  04:40:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
Do you think that there is any relation?

http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/economics/laureates/2006/

"Any religion that makes a form of torture into an icon that they worship seems to me a pretty sick sort of religion quite honestly"
-- Terry Jones
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.