LIbertarians are mad as hell too.
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2006 :  10:28:04  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
Snake calls Democrats morons and such. I have yet to see her call the current crop of Republicans any such names. She is clearly under the spell of Republican rhetoric that does not jibe up with what they are actually doing.

As a Libertarian it seems to me that these things should concern her.

The current administration, with the aid of a Republican congress are making a full frontal assault on our civil liberties. Are Libertarians comfortable with the Patriot Act and other attacks on our liberties? No.

The current administration has presided over the largest expansion of government since Lyndon Johnson's Great Society. Are the Libertarians comfortable with that? No.

The current administration is in bed with the Religious Right. They favor and end to a woman's right to privacy by ending a woman's right to choose to have an abortion. They also favor teaching ID in science classrooms and have poured millions into faith based charities and schools. They also favor a loosening of the current interpretation of the establishment clause to demonstrate everywhere they can that this a Christian nation. Is the Libertarian party comfortable with that? No.

The current administration supports an illegal war that is sucking our nations resources (money) and has cost well over 2000 American lives, not to mention many lives of Iraqi citizens along the way, all the while destabilizing relations with many other countries, including our traditional allies. Is the Libertarian party comfortable with that? No.

The current administration has run deficit spending up to levels unheard of before now. Is the Libertarian party comfortable with that? No.

I could go on…

Snake, go ahead and call the Democrats morons. Lately I might even agree with you, but not for the same reasons, I'm sure. The fact of the matter is that you are betraying many of the very positions the party you love is for by aligning yourself more with this current crop of republicans, seemingly for the one bone they threw you. A tax cut. Of course they threw most of the money back to those who are much richer than you, but hey…

I find your defense of the Republicans by not calling them “morons” as well, completely hypocritical. You seem to be willing to sell out your own values for a few tax dollars. True Libertarians are about way more than that…

I looked at the Libertarian site and they are mad as hell at Bush… They seem to know better than to bash the Democrats while it is the Republicans who are busy robbing them of most of their agenda…

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2006 :  10:45:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
While I am quite sure that the Libertarians are pleased with the proposed cuts in spending and further tax cuts, they seem to be quite appalled with the assault on the Constitution that this administration is conducting. Specifically, the assaults on the 4th Amendment.

The grevious stance Bush and Co. have made on domestic wire taps completely thwart the rule of law, mere formality it may be. His refusal to go through the FISA court is appalling. His weakening of due process is criminal.

I have noticed a definate Republican bent to Snake. I have to ask, what changed, Snake?

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2006 :  11:57:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Well, since Kil put Snake's name in the title of this thread, it's a guarantee that she'll never read these posts.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2006 :  18:23:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

Well, since Kil put Snake's name in the title of this thread, it's a guarantee that she'll never read these posts.

Well, I dunno. But I changed the title...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2006 :  18:30:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Though I believe the overall Libertarian agenda is at best riddled with the impossible, the impractical, and the undesired, I do credit them with being a real force of conscience in their defence of civil liberties. And they are pretty consistent about that, too.

The Libertarians certainly don't defend Bush and Cheney.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2006 :  02:14:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
I read the Libertarian platform in '04 and it was absurd. They strive for private ownership of everything including the road connected to your driveway. So I guess you'd need to pay toll after toll to go anywhere and if someone owned all the land around you and didn't like you, you couldn't leave your house. I asked some Libertarians on a forum how you could even begin to carry that stuff out but they just got mad at me. Guess I was too confrontational. Lots of people get mad when they can't answer.

But I think Republicans and Libertarians who voted for this group are just voting for an image of less government and fiscal responsibility. It's taken some of them 6 years to see what the rest of us knew right after the Iraq invasion started. Billions lost, wasted, mis-spent, given to cronies, personal freedoms endangered, yet many of the others are still convinced the Republicans fit the image version rather than the real version.
Edited by - beskeptigal on 02/14/2006 02:16:14
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.