Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2006 :  20:30:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
Ricky wrote: How someone could miss this is beyond belief. This video, in short, is what I would expect to come from Jerry Falwell if he were an atheist.

Pretty much exactly what I was thinking. I love how the narrator in this video claims to know what the true message of Christianity is and the right way to interpret the Bible – exactly the flaw that fundamentalists have.

Halfmooner wrote: What was fair was pointing out what the Bible, that confused mishmash of religion, fable, tribal history, laws, and moral pronouncements says believers should do. Not all the evil described or advocated in the Bible is metaphorical. If moderate Christians want to cherry-pick the "nice" parts, while dismissing the nasty parts as "metaphorical," it's only fair to demand that they should be honest about performing this modern revisionism.

There has NEVER been a single united Christian church, nor was there even always a singular and united Christian scripture. All Biblical scholars knows this fact – including the Christian ones.

Dude wrote: 22% of people think they will be raptured in their lifetime, and an additional 22% believe that the rapture will occur "soon", they just aren't sure just when.

Indeed, I have seen many legit polls that show that about or almost a quarter of US citizens are either fundamentalists are damn close to being fundamentalists. That is scary, and that is something that we must fight tooth and nail through public mockery, politics, and good old-fashioned open debate. Those people – especially their leaders – are scary as hell and if they continue to grow in numbers, they could turn this great nation of the USA into a horror.

That said, those percentages still show a minority, even among Christians. And so Ricky's general criticism still holds.

Liberal Christians are our allies in this fight against fundamentalism. Yes, I wish they'd wake up and realize how much a danger fundies are and really start frothing at the mouth like us freethinkers do, but if things do get worse, I think the liberal Christians will start mobilizing against fundies in much greater numbers. Among liberals Christians are many brilliant theologians and Biblical scholars. If we succumb to the ridiculous belief that the Bible is such a simplistic and purely moral instructional guide, then we are no skeptics; we are no better than the mindless masses.

Oh yeah - welcome to all the berries and other new members. Thanks for stirring things up.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Edited by - marfknox on 02/19/2006 20:31:56
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2006 :  20:38:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
marfknox states:
quote:
Oh yeah - welcome to all the berries and other new members. Thanks for stirring things up.

Amen to that, Brother!

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Sheri berri

24 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2006 :  20:40:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Sheri berri a Private Message
Thankyou for welcoming all of us the berri's sheri Geri and Bacca , Zandore And shambala, we are the misfits from another forum, we look forward to many great discussions, i hope its okay we are stirring things up lol Namaste sheri

WHEN ONE CEASES TO HAVE A SUBJECTIVE EXPEREINCE WITH 'GOD' , 'GOD' WILL NO LONGER EXIST

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2006 :  21:23:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Sheri berri sharied
quote:
we are the misfits from another forum

What did you all get exiled for? Extreme reasonableness?

Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2006 :  23:10:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
Welcome, Sheri berri. I like the quote you have in your signature.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

Sheri berri

24 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2006 :  23:42:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Sheri berri a Private Message
Thanks guys we self banished , the extremism was too extreme, we are looking for our own kind, people who think, people who respect that others have perspectives, I'll put it this way discrimination is alive and well not to far off in cyber space.... Again thanks for the welcome i speak on behalf of all of us...Namaste Sheri

WHEN ONE CEASES TO HAVE A SUBJECTIVE EXPEREINCE WITH 'GOD' , 'GOD' WILL NO LONGER EXIST

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2006 :  23:50:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Well welcome to you all, even though they didn't kick you out.

Go to Top of Page

Geri_Berri

Ireland
11 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2006 :  03:16:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Geri_Berri a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Sheri berri

Thankyou for welcoming all of us the berri's sheri Geri and Bacca , Zandore And shambala, we are the misfits from another forum, we look forward to many great discussions, i hope its okay we are stirring things up lol Namaste sheri

LOL @ misfits form the other forum...well yea we are LOL...we come in peace...if some of you are christians dont attack us just yet give us time to get settled in 1st LOL

Make the world a smarter place....Be A Skeptic
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2006 :  03:49:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Geri_Berri

quote:

LOL @ misfits form the other forum...well yea we are LOL...we come in peace...if some of you are christians dont attack us just yet give us time to get settled in 1st LOL

We have a number of Christians in the membership -- rather thick-skinned Christians, I'm happy to state -- and their input too, is valued, albeit often argued with. Without an opposing point of view, sincerely rendered, what would be the point of skepticism?

Extend an invitation to your evangelical friend to pay us a visit. If he/she feels the need to preach the Gosple and convert the heathen, this forum is a fertile field. You might add that many if not most of us have read the Bible, cover to cover, and at least one of us has used it's pages for emergency cigarette papers; a far more practicle application than it is normally put to.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

zandore

21 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2006 :  06:57:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send zandore a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Sheri berri sharied
quote:

Some of us for our out spoken heathen ways....OH WELL! <heavy on the sarcasm

"No philosophy, no religion, has ever brought so glad a message to the world as this good news of Atheism.
Annie Wood Besant (1847-1933)"
Go to Top of Page

geo berri

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2006 :  10:18:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send geo berri a Private Message
quote:

Add another misfit to the berri patch. Maybe if we stir things up well enough we'll make some good wine or is it whine.

Throw open the windows of your life and let the winds of knowledge blow through your mind, geo
Go to Top of Page

Sheri berri

24 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2006 :  10:41:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Sheri berri a Private Message
Geo berri ((((hugs)))) thankyou for coming and bringing your endless wisdom I hope you all enjoy her as much as we do.lol what would be the point of skeptisim if we had noting to be skeptical over , we just happen to know lol@ wine/whiny religous folks, anyhoo Namaste sheri

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2006 :  10:49:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

Here's yer Rupture Rapture!

You enjoy being blunt, Filthy?

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2006 :  11:02:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by zandore

quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Sheri berri sharied
quote:

Some of us for our out spoken heathen ways....OH WELL! <heavy on the sarcasm

Some of us used to read Rapture Ready Bulletin Board, but I haven't done so for more than a year. They are just too unreasonable.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Sheri berri

24 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2006 :  12:16:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Sheri berri a Private Message
Had not heard of that site, i guess its the same everywhere.....Namaste sheri

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.