Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

zandore

21 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2006 :  08:32:02  Show Profile Send zandore a Private Message
Take the Gospel Story quiz: http://exchristian.net/3/

I scored 0

Some Bible statistics

The Bible was written by about thirty-nine persons over a period dating from about 1700 B.C. to about 100 A.D.

(KJV)
Number of books: 66
Chapters: 1,189
Verses: 31,173
Words: 773,692

39 Authors (an ongoing controversy on that subject) wrote over a span of 1,600 years (another controversy) 31,173 verses containing 733,692 words and some Christians say there are no contradictions in the Bible......

"No philosophy, no religion, has ever brought so glad a message to the world as this good news of Atheism.
Annie Wood Besant (1847-1933)"

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2006 :  09:19:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Heh, hadn't seen that one before. pretty good.

The Bible, like most if not all religious texts is an interesting, if grindingly slow in spots, read. And like all of the others, it is filled with ledgend, lore, and other, mystical nonsense.

"All religions are confusing; that is what keeps priests in business." -- The Last Tomb

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2006 :  12:35:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
It's like a trivia quiz. The Skeptic's Annotated Bible is a good reference for finding all the things people believe the Bible says aren't really in there, and all the things believers think are in there aren't.
Go to Top of Page

Sheri berri

24 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2006 :  13:21:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Sheri berri a Private Message
I'm with you Zannie i scored a whopping zero......Namaste Sheri

WHEN ONE CEASES TO HAVE A SUBJECTIVE EXPEREINCE WITH 'GOD' , 'GOD' WILL NO LONGER EXIST

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2006 :  13:39:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
B. cited:
quote:
It's like a trivia quiz. The Skeptic's Annotated Bible is a good reference for finding all the things people believe the Bible says aren't really in there, and all the things believers think are in there aren't.

Dammit, I can't find "The Skeptic's Annotated Bible" as such at Amazon, though there is "The Skeptic's Annotated Bible: Corrected and Explained, The Collegiate Workbook" which is definitely a Christian publication, from Jesus Christ Saves Ministries, no less. Probably not the same book you are writing about.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2006 :  13:56:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner

B. cited:
quote:

Dammit, I can't find "The Skeptic's Annotated Bible" as such at Amazon, though there is "The Skeptic's Annotated Bible: Corrected and Explained, The Collegiate Workbook" which is definitely a Christian publication, from Jesus Christ Saves Ministries, no less. Probably not the same book you are writing about.

It's a website, 'mooner. I had it, but somehow it got lost. A google will fix that.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2006 :  14:07:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
filthy fulminated:
quote:
It's a website, 'mooner. I had it, but somehow it got lost. A google will fix that.

Oh. That's different. Never mind.

For those interested, here's the link:

http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com/

Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2006 :  14:11:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Sheri berri

I'm with you Zannie i scored a whopping zero......Namaste Sheri

Just so you know, zero is the only possible score. Since these are contradictions, the bible actually gives both answers, so whichever one you pick there will always be another "correct" answer.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2006 :  14:43:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Fascinating stuff at that Skeptic's Bible site.

Reading there, I stumbled onto this: In Leviticus 15, verses 1 through 15, are verses that appear to be highlighted as "absurdities" by the site creators, but I think they missed a point in this case.

These verses seem to me to be a list of primitive hygenic procedures intended to prevent the spread of staph infections to others, indicating some inkling of epidemeolgy. Ritual uncleanliness and infection seem to be equated. The priests were probably also physicians. Without any reference to the use of boiling water, the procedures aren't nearly as effective as they could be, and afterwards, "appropriate" religious rituals are spelled out:

http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com/lev/15.html#2
quote:

15:1 And the LORD spake unto Moses and to Aaron, saying,

15:2 Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them, When any man hath a running issue out of his flesh, because of his issue he is unclean.

15:3 And this shall be his uncleanness in his issue: whether his flesh run with his issue, or his flesh be stopped from his issue, it is his uncleanness.

15:4 Every bed, whereon he lieth that hath the issue, is unclean: and every thing, whereon he sitteth, shall be unclean.

15:5 And whosoever toucheth his bed shall wash his clothes, and bathe himself in water, and be unclean until the even.

15:6 And he that sitteth on any thing whereon he sat that hath the issue shall wash his clothes, and bathe himself in water, and be unclean until the even.

15:7 And he that toucheth the flesh of him that hath the issue shall wash his clothes, and bathe himself in water, and be unclean until the even.

15:8 And if he that hath the issue spit upon him that is clean; then he shall wash his clothes, and bathe himself in water, and be unclean until the even.

15:9 And what saddle soever he rideth upon that hath the issue shall be unclean.

15:10 And whosoever toucheth any thing that was under him shall be unclean until the even: and he that beareth any of those things shall wash his clothes, and bathe himself in water, and be unclean until the even.

15:11 And whomsoever he toucheth that hath the issue, and hath not rinsed his hands in water, he shall wash his clothes, and bathe himself in water, and be unclean until the even.

15:12 And the vessel of earth, that he toucheth which hath the issue, shall be broken: and every vessel of wood shall be rinsed in water.

15:13 And when he that hath an issue is cleansed of his issue; then he shall number to himself seven days for his cleansing, and wash his clothes, and bathe his flesh in running water, and shall be clean.

15:14 And on the eighth day he shall take to him two turtledoves, or two young pigeons, and come before the LORD unto the door of the tabernacle of the congregation, and give them unto the priest:

15:15 And the priest shall offer them, the one for a sin offering, and the other for a burnt offering; and the priest shall make an atonement for him before the LORD for his issue.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 02/20/2006 15:07:04
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2006 :  15:02:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
By the way, zandore, that quiz is wonderful. Odd, I just can't seem to do very well on it, though...

Go to Top of Page

Sheri berri

24 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2006 :  19:57:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Sheri berri a Private Message
Just so you know, zero is the only possible score. Since these are contradictions, the bible actually gives both answers, so whichever one you pick there will always be another "correct" answer.

quoted by humbert

i didn't know that i just figured i didn't know enough i should try it both ways that is an interesting point.. or are you kidding lol thanks Namaste sheri

WHEN ONE CEASES TO HAVE A SUBJECTIVE EXPEREINCE WITH 'GOD' , 'GOD' WILL NO LONGER EXIST

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2006 :  20:05:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
My awful results with the quiz did puzzle me until I figured out what was going on. Still, those were topics that had never been touched upon in my Sunday School religious instruction. Now I know why. They'd rather ignore the contradictions.

Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2006 :  20:15:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
i didn't know that i just figured i didn't know enough i should try it both ways that is an interesting point.. or are you kidding lol thanks Namaste sheri

Nope, I wasn't kidding. It's a rigged test. (Of course, still making a valid point in the process.)

BTW, in order to quote someone else's text, just click the icon with the little blue arrow that appears above their post. Alternatively, if you click on the blue text that reads Forum Code on the left hand side when composing a message, you will see the various codes used to format posts.

And I know you said weren't a great typist, and by no means do I wish to come off as excessively critical, but a little bit of punctuation in your sentences might prove helpful. In many of your posts, your words all tend to run together, often making them difficult to parse. Simple things like following capitalization conventions or inserting a period before continuing on to a new thought would go a long ways in aiding clarity, irrespective of misspellings. Just a suggestion.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

Edited by - H. Humbert on 02/20/2006 20:19:29
Go to Top of Page

Sheri berri

24 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2006 :  21:22:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Sheri berri a Private Message
For you humbert, i will try harder. Thankyou for your constructive critisism. lol

Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2006 :  21:34:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:

For you humbert, i will try harder. Thankyou for your constructive critisism. lol

Your effort is not unappreciated. I thank you.

Go to Top of Page

Sheri berri

24 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2006 :  21:40:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Sheri berri a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by H. Humbert

quote:

Your effort is not unappreciated. I thank you.

I guess you are an expert in the field of writing, I read you are an editor, so a big thankyou is in order. I feel I'm getting top notch attention Namaste Sheri

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.34 seconds.