Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Geri_Berri

Ireland
11 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2006 :  13:57:04  Show Profile Send Geri_Berri a Private Message
Hi
I am quite skeptic on a lot of things but here are my views....

I believe in God...why? I just do...

Can I prove it?.... NO!!

Can I prove he doesnt exist?....NO!!

Do I believe in the bible and it's teachings?....NO!!

Do I follow a religion?.... NO!!

Do I go to church?...NO..but I used to till I caught myself on lol

I believe the bible to be 99% myth...I just stick to my belief in God and most of all this is very important...I believe in myself

Do I look down at those who don't believe?....NOPE! I believe that non elievers have great minds

What sickens me about religion?.....The way christians are always in my face trying to convert

Since I am new here I would like to start a fresh with the rest of you and find out just what is it you believe and why?

Thanks

PS I only make the font bigger cuz my glasses have still to get repaired LOL

Make the world a smarter place....Be A Skeptic

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2006 :  14:28:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
You are a theist, then. You are in good company, as a goodish percentage of this country's Founding Fathers were as well.

I myself, am an atheist. I have neither beliefs nor faith in anything supernatural, and precious little of either in anything else.

I've been told that I live a very unfulfilled life, but I fail to understand the reasoning behind that. I don't feel unfulfilled.....

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2006 :  14:30:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
When I was in fourth grade, sometime just before Christmas in about 1954, my public school teacher asked her class to raise hands if they believed in Santa Claus. I threw up my hand instantly, then looked around in growing humiliation to find that my classmates all had kept their hands down. Many were giggling, and my teacher was grinning.

My hand dropped, as my faith in Santa evaporated in that instant. Within a few hours, I no longer believed in God, as I could see no essential difference between that magical flying invisible bearded guy, and the one in the red suit. I suspected the main differnce was that most adults maintained a belief in God, while they promoted children's belief in Santa just for the fun of it.

Every skeptic probably has their own story about how they came to their faith in doubt. That's mine.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 02/19/2006 14:31:49
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2006 :  14:45:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
I am an atheist. I believe if one took a scientific view of evaluation of god(s), religions and religious beliefs one would conclude the evidence points to religion being a purely man made construct. It seems silly to me to say we can't test for the existence of god with science. We can test for evidence claimed by the religious to show their god exists. For example does prayer have an effect? The studies so far indicate there is no action god undertakes when one prays that can be shown to actually occur.

All that aside, I understand the theoretical reasons for the definition that science cannot test for gods based on some definitions of what a god is. We've had this discussion before here and I have no argument with that position. But once you claim god interacts with people, and if you don't claim god purposefully hides his tracks (which makes no logical sense to me because if the tracks were hidden then you again have no perceptible interaction), I see no reason the scientific process cannot test for the god hypothesis. I'm also confident you will find no evidence for the existence of god(s).

My further opinion of the Bible is there is clear evidence it was written by men in one region of the world just as other religions developed in their own respective regions. There is nothing in the Bible which indicates there was anything shared with the writers that wasn't already known to the people at the time. In other words, there nothing in the Bible to suggest anyone other than men inspired and wrote it. Nothing in the Bible reflects any knowledge of the rest of the planet, let alone the actual Universe.
Edited by - beskeptigal on 02/19/2006 14:46:49
Go to Top of Page

Geri_Berri

Ireland
11 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2006 :  15:02:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Geri_Berri a Private Message
I may believe in God but not religion the bible & church BUT..

I tend to befriend non believers my best friend - Sheri_Berri is a non believer and many non believers I find have very strong and keen minds....I aint far behind you all

What I can't stand is when some religious nut looks down on NB's (non believers) some have said that NB's have no intelligence ect..thats a load of coblers...I have yet to meet a religious person that is truly smart

I thought a lot of you would jump on me and tear me appart for my eliefs in God...and I dreaded the responces...but thankfully you have accepted me as I am

Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2006 :  15:25:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
Geri_Berri, your beliefs sound quite a bit like theistic humanism. I am an atheistic Humanist (I capitalized the "H" for me since I'm involved in Humanist communities.) Philosophical humanism is the idea that we should base our values on what best serves people in this life. The first philosophical humanists were Christians, and the Unitarian Universalist church - which was originally a Christian church (but is today encompasses many spiritual worldviews) - is a religion that promotes humanism as a philosophy to live one's life by.

There are two things about humanism that persuaded me to call myself that and even get involved in Humanist communities:

1.) There is no dogma. There is a manifesto, but it was originally written to be a "living" document that would change with society, there have been 2 revisions so far, and many Humanists refused to sign it all three times. To me, dissent within a religious/religious-like group is a good sign - it shows they don't have group-think.

2.) I am quite firm about my atheism, and beskeptical's response is pretty close to my own thoughts on that matter. But I like humanism because it incorporates a positive life philosophy based on people taking responsibility for ourselves, rather than fearing or depending on supernatural influences that there is no evidence for. If there is a god or gods, I'm convinced he/she/they are rather uninvolved in the affairs of humankind, and perhaps, don't even give a crap about us. We are a tiny speck in the grand scene of the universe, after all. And who knows what's beyond that? Better to enjoy living and help each other out while we can during our brief and wonderful little lives.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Edited by - marfknox on 02/19/2006 15:30:16
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2006 :  15:26:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Geri_Berri harried:
quote:
I have yet to meet a religious person that is truly smart

I have. Try talking with a Jesuit someday, if you want to see intellectual (though ultimately wheel-spinning) brilliance. Some are even real scientists.

Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2006 :  15:35:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
I have. Try talking with a Jesuit someday, if you want to see intellectual (though ultimately wheel-spinning) brilliance. Some are even real scientists.

I'm quite fond of the philosophical and theological thinking promoted by many liberal Christians churches, such as certain Epicopal congregations or the Church of Christ. Also Reform Judaism, Quakers, and Unitarian Universalists. All of those groups have acknowledge the hypocrasy of trying to desperately hold onto outdated and dogmatic traditions, and yet all find spiritual (not rational) reasons to hold on to religious beliefs. One example, Bishop John Spong wrote some great books like "Rescueing the Bible From Fundamentalism". He is a controversial figure in the Epicopal Church, but he's definitely intelligent.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2006 :  17:00:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Yup, Marfknox, indeed we should never underestimate the raw, and even the refined, intellect of the religious. The question is often not so much existence of intelligence, but how it is used.

On another matter, in my own definition set, I see a distinction without any difference, in the belief in God(s) versus being religious. To me, belief in a God itself, including Deist belief, is a religious phenomenon. Being member of a religious sect, though, that can be distinct from belief in a Deity.

Go to Top of Page

Sheri berri

24 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2006 :  17:24:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Sheri berri a Private Message
Geri berri, Thats interesting you have a definition for this leg of your journey, theist humanist, kool, You already know my thoughts on everything but many don't here so i will share i don't do labels I just allow life to show me the wonders and mysteries of life through the living of my life and it serves me well so far , I have to say this is the most Atheists i've seen in along time many of us are from another forum which has gotten to 'religous' half moon I loved what you said, I agree ther is a place for lack of intellegence and its not so much that as how you use it, a good kind person goes alnog way in my book. Namaste sheri

WHEN ONE CEASES TO HAVE A SUBJECTIVE EXPEREINCE WITH 'GOD' , 'GOD' WILL NO LONGER EXIST

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2006 :  17:25:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Geri_Berri

I may believe in God but not religion the bible & church BUT..

I tend to befriend non believers my best friend - Sheri_Berri is a non believer and many non believers I find have very strong and keen minds....I aint far behind you all

What I can't stand is when some religious nut looks down on NB's (non believers) some have said that NB's have no intelligence ect..thats a load of coblers...I have yet to meet a religious person that is truly smart

I thought a lot of you would jump on me and tear me appart for my eliefs in God...and I dreaded the responces...but thankfully you have accepted me as I am
[emphasis mine].

All are welcome here, as we are interested in all points of view. A very few have managed to wear that welcome out, and some few more are all too seldom visitors.

These fora can get very rough, but only to those who bring it on themselves by demonestrating chronic dipshitness. So again, a welcome to you and your views!

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2006 :  20:16:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message
quote:

I believe the bible to be 99% myth...I just stick to my belief in God and most of all this is very important...I believe in myself

It seems that you reject a fair bit of the dogma of "conventional" christianity. Do you mind me asking what makes you believe in the God generally referred to by christianity, mostly the bible. By this I mean, do you see your god as the same one as in the bible (which I'm guessing simply because of the 99% reference) or is it just the idea of "a" god that you like? This isn't an attempt to "uncovert" you by the way, I'm genuinely interested, even though I am an atheist myself.

As to being attacked here at SFN, based on what I've seen this far, that's very unlikely unless you start evangelising without good evidence. Ideas are always fair game, people much less so. It feels a little strange about welcoming you on board, as I'm a relative noob myself, but welcome anyway.

John's just this guy, you know.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2006 :  20:45:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
JohnOAS stated:
quote:
As to being attacked here at SFN, based on what I've seen this far, that's very unlikely unless you start evangelising without good evidence.

That's right. In fact, even being rude or evangelizing are minor sins here, I've noticed. It's pretty much only failure to produce evidence, and intellectual dishonesty, that really gets people here rip-roaring pissed off.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 02/19/2006 20:45:50
Go to Top of Page

Geri_Berri

Ireland
11 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2006 :  03:13:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Geri_Berri a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by JohnOAS

quote:

It seems that you reject a fair bit of the dogma of "conventional" christianity. Do you mind me asking what makes you believe in the God generally referred to by christianity, mostly the bible. By this I mean, do you see your god as the same one as in the bible (which I'm guessing simply because of the 99% reference) or is it just the idea of "a" god that you like? This isn't an attempt to "uncovert" you by the way, I'm genuinely interested, even though I am an atheist myself.

As to being attacked here at SFN, based on what I've seen this far, that's very unlikely unless you start evangelising without good evidence. Ideas are always fair game, people much less so. It feels a little strange about welcoming you on board, as I'm a relative noob myself, but welcome anyway.

Hi John
I was taught religion as a Catholic (catholic bible) through time I began to open my eyes more and asked more questios and once those questions where not answered it was clear to me that a lot of it was false...so I dropped religion church and the bible and decided to keep my belief in God (from the bible)....why you may ask?....it was just a feeling I had...I feel in my heart he does exsist but then again I have no proof...therefore I WONT try and tell you all likewise...why should I???

I am just dont arguing with a religious nut in the UM forum over religion...he claims other beliefs are FALSE...but his own christian belief is not!!WTF?/ so I put it to him...how the heck can you or anyone say other faiths are false when you yourself have NO proof he is still beatin his gums on the subject

Go to Top of Page

geo berri

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2006 :  10:07:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send geo berri a Private Message
This is probably as good a place as any to intro myself. I'm one of those exUMers. I think I'm going to fit in here like a warm pair of socks.
I discribe myself as a nontheist although I too don't like labels. I'm somewhere between an agnostic and atheist. I have a side of me that thinks in metaphysical terms. I have the utmost repect for science and lean more in that direction but I also believe that science has a lot to learn and discover.
I'm glad to see that I don't have to fight for my beliefs on this network. I've grown weary of arguing with young pie/guy in the sky fundies who's only belief is "jesus is my lord and savior" or " jesus will return and take me to heaven". It seems as though everything I said was considered "hate speech" to them.
I'm one who likes to learn about different philosophy's that actually make sense. From what I've seen this is probably that place.

Throw open the windows of your life and let the winds of knowledge blow through your mind, geo
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2006 :  10:34:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
Geri_Berri said:
quote:
I am just dont arguing with a religious nut in the UM forum over religion...he claims other beliefs are FALSE...but his own christian belief is not!!WTF?

That is a fairly common thought pattern among the very religious. They just "know" they are right and everyone else is completely wrong and going to burn in hell unless they change their beliefs.

I have even witnessed two different type of fundies having a "debate" about the interpretation of some bible passages. It ended with screaming, lots of name calling, and eventually fists being thrown.

Anyway... welcome to the SFN Berri-people!

(format edit)

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Edited by - Dude on 02/22/2006 00:29:38
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds.