New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2006 :  14:42:18  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
By what scale does one measure a madman? Against what standard does one define him?

In another thread, I linked to the Rev. Mark Rushdoony, president, since the death of his father, of the Chalcedon Institute. Chalcedon is the brain child of R.J. Rushdoony, who has wielded a great deal of social influnce beginning in the sixties until his death in 2001. He was a voracious advocate of strict and litersl, Old Testement Law: death by stoning for homosexuals, blasphemers, heretics, apostates, snotty children, and so forth.

It is rather suprising that he had so much influence, political as well as theological, because most people never heard of him. And even that is suprising, as he was a skilled and prolific writer. Here is an article concerning him.

Relativly unknown, Rushdoony has had a tremendous influence on the Republican Party. It is interesting to look back at the party in the time of Barry Goldwater and compare it to our current example. Much of the difference can be traced to Rushdoony and his followers, as later aided, probably unconsciously, by Ronald Reagan.

Can Rushdoony's insanity eventually come to pass in this country? I don't know, and that, of course, means it just might could. After all, our current administration and not a few in Congress reflect at least a portion of the madness that was uniquely his and has become his legacy.

Edited, again, 'cause Big Dummy got a link wrong, amongst other stuff.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 02/19/2006 13:05:09

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2006 :  14:55:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
You know, you are really good at scaring me, filthy. Great, scary article. But Rushdoony himself's not in that second article.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 02/18/2006 15:05:14
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2006 :  15:07:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner

You know, you are really good at scaring me, filthy.

Eez my yob, mon....

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2006 :  13:02:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Happened to stumble across a little more. From TheocratcyWatch:
quote:
> Small foundation seeks big change
>
> Published: January 21, 2005
>
> By SUNNY LOCKWOOD
>
> The Chalcedon Foundation's two-story gray stone building sits
> unobtrusively across Highway 4 from Red Hill Road.
>
> There are no signs on the building or along the drive to identify
> it. Ranch fields filled with grazing cows surround the grounds.
>
> Despite its bland exterior, the foundation offices bustle with
> work.
>
> There, foundation books, journals and tapes are shipped to groups
> and individuals across the nation. It is also where foundation
> President Mark Rushdoony counts on changing the world by
> promoting the controversial ideas of his late father, R. J.
> Rushdoony.
>
> An ordained Presbyterian minister with degrees from U.C. Berkeley
> and the Pacific School of Religion, R.J. Rushdoony wrote 35 books
> and hundreds of essays about applying Biblical law to every
> aspect of life.
>
> Known as the father of Christian Reconstruction, Rushdoony's
> ideas have energized some and frightened others, but his son sees
> them as the solution to a sin-filled world.
>
> "We believe (my father's) writings are based in Scripture. We
> don't believe his writings are inspired, but nobody said it
> better," says the soft-spoken former history teacher and father
> of four.
>
> Rushdoony's father established the Chalcedon (pronounced
> kal-SEE-dun) Foundation in 1965 and moved it to Vallecito in
> 1975.
It continues on, a pretty good description of the works of Rushdoony.

And so I ask: is the difference between these Christian theocrats and their Islamic counterparts merely one of gods and degree, or is there really any difference at all?

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2006 :  13:16:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
filthy asked:
quote:
And so I ask: is the difference between these Christian theocrats and their Islamic counterparts merely one of gods and degree, or is there really any difference at all?

I don't think there any differences at all in the basic intentions of either group of theocrats. Establish God's/Allah's reign on earth (as interpreted and controlled by themselves as annointed priest-kings of course). Only separate scriptures, and better pickings amongst their populace for the Islamic theocrats, mark the differences. Their plans are the same, though.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 02/19/2006 13:17:21
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds.