Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2006 :  13:55:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

My word, an epidemic! Very glad you only needed a stint and are doing well. Those have been very successful.

So, Dave, would that be exercise you'd be referring to? Might I suggest a dog? I get a good hour a day running behind too little poodle-terriers that are so anxious to be out walking they pull with incredible strength for their size. I swear they could match a Husky pulling a sled.

I also advocate those statins if one suits you. I take one. Gotta take advantage of that science, you know.

You can suggest a dog, and of course I appreciate the suggestion, but I'm not sure that I wouldn't have chosen death over having to walk a dog and pick up shit. Cat's, while offering no real chance for exercise whatsoever, do have the decency to shit in a box.

I do plan to walk and ride a bicycle and whatever the doctor suggests I do. But I am pretty active in my profession. I am eating a restricted diet and I quit smoking. And yes, I am on Lipitor, Lisinopril and blood thinners…

I will be getting another stint…

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

skepticality
Skeptic Friend

USA
105 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2006 :  14:09:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit skepticality's Homepage Send skepticality a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kil

Hi everyone. Well, here's the deal. I just got out of the hospital. I had a heart attack last Thursday morning. I had to have a procedure called an Angioplasty including the insertion of a stint in one completely closed artery. I will undergo the procedure again in about a month to open a second artery that is getting only a 15% blood flow.

Man! What is it with the karma surrounding this community? All of us Skeptical folks are dodging a ton of heart/blood type bullets! Me, Randi, now Kil!! We need to make a website just for "Skeptical Heart Problems Support" related stuff!! Ok, at least, so far, all of us have made through all the surgeries and the 'worst' part of it as told to me by my doctors.

I said it when the New Year hit, I'll say it again! Can all of us make sure we make it to the NEXT year without our hearts or brains killing us? :)

Love ya Kil, keep on doing what you do, we are all out here rooting for ya! :)

Derek Colanduno
host - skepticality
http://www.skepticality.com/
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2006 :  14:48:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by skepticality

Man! What is it with the karma surrounding this community? All of us Skeptical folks are dodging a ton of heart/blood type bullets! Me, Randi, now Kil!! We need to make a website just for "Skeptical Heart Problems Support" related stuff!! Ok, at least, so far, all of us have made through all the surgeries and the 'worst' part of it as told to me by my doctors.

I said it when the New Year hit, I'll say it again! Can all of us make sure we make it to the NEXT year without our hearts or brains killing us? :)

Love ya Kil, keep on doing what you do, we are all out here rooting for ya! :)

Thanks Derek!

You know, it occurs to me that we are becoming the poster kids for evidence-based medical science. It's just our little way of contributing to the cause of spreading reason in an irrational world.

Of course, anyone who chooses to have a stroke or heart attack for that reason, or chooses to have one for any reason at all should probably be considered certifiable…

Just a thought…

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2006 :  15:13:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
skepticality observed:
quote:

Or, it could be it's not simple, rational karma at all, but the one-size-fits-all Wrath of God, being called down on our heads by the Fundies.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Zandermann
Skeptic Friend

USA
431 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2006 :  19:24:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Zandermann an AOL message Send Zandermann a Private Message
...adding my best wishes for your continued recovery, Kil.

Take care of that ticker, and watch the ol' blood pressure

"If in the last few years you haven't discarded a major opinion or acquired a new one, check your pulse. You may be dead."
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2006 :  19:48:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
Glad to hear your alright, and even better that you'll have more time to spend here. I just knew you couldn't go without finishing that Kil Report you've been working so hard on lately.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Paulos23
Skeptic Friend

USA
446 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2006 :  09:16:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Paulos23's Homepage Send Paulos23 a Private Message
Take care of yourself Kil. Glad you ducked the first shot.

You can go wrong by being too skeptical as readily as by being too trusting. -- Robert A. Heinlein

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
Go to Top of Page

astropin
SFN Regular

USA
970 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2006 :  10:31:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send astropin a Private Message
Kil, I wish you a speedy recovery. My former occupation was in Cardiac Rehabilitation at William Beaumont Hospital. My wife currently runs the cardiac rehab center in our town. Listen to what they tell you! On a side note (besides heredity which is always the biggest factor) it's not being overweight that hurts you; it's being inactive. You can be overweight (to a degree) as long as you are active. What's active? At least 30 minutes a day of walking, jogging etc...

I would rather face a cold reality than delude myself with comforting fantasies.

You are free to believe what you want to believe and I am free to ridicule you for it.

Atheism:
The result of an unbiased and rational search for the truth.

Infinitus est numerus stultorum
Go to Top of Page

Wendy
SFN Regular

USA
614 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2006 :  11:30:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Wendy a Yahoo! Message Send Wendy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kil

I am eating a restricted diet and I quit smoking.

Then you're already in hell! My hat is off to you for managing to do both those things at once.

Be well, Kil.

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do on a rainy afternoon.
-- Susan Ertz
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2006 :  13:57:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kil...I am eating a restricted diet and I quit smoking...

Best wishes. Hang in there, and follow your personal bliss. As for the new menu, there's lots of good food out there that is healthy, tasty and even spicy without salt. Maybe your doctor can put you in touch with a hospital nutritionist.

Diversity, independence, innovation and imagination are progressive concepts ultimately alien to the conservative mind.

"TAX AND SPEND" IS GOOD! (TAX: Wealthy corporations who won't go poor even after taxes. SPEND: On public works programs, education, the environment, improvements.)
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2006 :  14:42:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
Thanks for all of the advice and encouragement. I am told that the hospital I went to was exactly the right place for cardiac problems and procedures. It was the Santa Monica UCLA Medical Center. I saw a nutritionist and all of those kinds of people. I am following their orders. Unless someone decides to give me a dog as part of an exercise regime, I plan to keep on living…

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  14:40:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message
Dearest Kil,

My thoughts are with you...One postive thing is that hopefully you will come to chat more with that biting humor I so love of yours!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2006 :  19:58:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

So, Dave, would that be exercise you'd be referring to? Might I suggest a dog? I get a good hour a day running behind too little poodle-terriers that are so anxious to be out walking they pull with incredible strength for their size. I swear they could match a Husky pulling a sled.
I've got a dog, a lab/shepard mix. Left to his own devices, he'd pick a spot on the lawn and sniff it for an hour. It's I who drag him to various places to do his business.

My friends and I used to beat the tar out of each other with bamboo practice swords in the backyard a couple times a week. I'm getting back into that, except inside where it's warm and dry, and alone to save myself embarrassment and bruises (not to mention that I don't need all the cumbersome armor, either). I put Gladiator or somesuch into the DVD player and pretend I'm a badass. It gets the heart pumping and the muscles humming.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2006 :  20:29:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
While I am quite sorry to hear about your health problems, and I wish you a speedy recovery, I'm happy to hear you'll likely be writing on here more. Your comments are usually above the average in both quality and charm. Take care of yourself.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2006 :  10:50:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
About that cat shit in the box comment, Kil...it's not like you never have to do anything else with it. My bro has an auto box that empties itself but they still have move the poo along to the next phase in the pick up cycle. It's not much different from my Kong Klaws I use to get the doggy dumplings with. At least their stuff is outside. Then there's my pissy neighbor's cat who manages to stink up my yard on a regular basis and in locations one cannot just leave for fertilizer. But to each his own I guess.

BTW, lovastatin is the only generic statin available so far. That's what I take. It works fine so far (2 years+). The cost difference is $300 vs $50/month. Insurance or not, the cost gets paid by the individual somewhere in the system.

Dave, glad to see you didn't go off and get yourself checked into some treatment facility or something. That, "shot across the bow, I'm going to be here less often", comment left me wondering. For indoor exercise, I've taken to bouncing 3 tennis balls in the kitchen for the dogs to chase. I also get great laughs out of it.

Wonderful summary, BTW.
Edited by - beskeptigal on 02/26/2006 10:53:33
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.