Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

zandore

21 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2006 :  08:08:02  Show Profile Send zandore a Private Message
This is kind of scary:http://media.putfile.com/Gods-Army

Comments....Opinions

"No philosophy, no religion, has ever brought so glad a message to the world as this good news of Atheism.
Annie Wood Besant (1847-1933)"

Sheri berri

24 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2006 :  10:58:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Sheri berri a Private Message
Hello Zannie (((hugs))) Very interesting , Morgan spurlock is into religion I loved Fast food nation. anyways God's army is only interested in killing gays, and discriminating against other religons,and people in general Not once was there a mention of 'peace, kindeness tolerance of all others, Children of a 'lesser god ......... Namaste Sheri

WHEN ONE CEASES TO HAVE A SUBJECTIVE EXPEREINCE WITH 'GOD' , 'GOD' WILL NO LONGER EXIST

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes
Go to Top of Page

zandore

21 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2006 :  11:41:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send zandore a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Sheri berri

Hello Zannie (((hugs))) Very interesting , Morgan spurlock is into religion I loved Fast food nation. anyways God's army is only interested in killing gays, and discriminating against other religons,and people in general Not once was there a mention of 'peace, kindeness tolerance of all others, Children of a 'lesser god ......... Namaste Sheri

I think you know my opinion on that by now....to say even one God is false is to say all Gods are false.

"No philosophy, no religion, has ever brought so glad a message to the world as this good news of Atheism.
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2006 :  11:41:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
Firstly, that video portrayed the extreme fundamentalists as being in the majority, when that is far from the truth.

quote:
Even some Christians today think [the Inquisition] was a bad idea.

Some? Some?!? If by some, you mean the vast majority, you'd be correct. But "some" makes it sound like less than half.

Then the video goes on to say that one can not hold the position of a moderate Christian. That is, a Christian who doesn't believe in the literal interpretation of the Bible. Some how, the creator of the video thinks that this means that Jesus only half rose from the dead, or something along those lines. But he completely misses that this just means the stories are metaphorical. They didn't actually happen, but they are just there because God wants us to get the message.

How someone could miss this is beyond belief. This video, in short, is what I would expect to come from Jerry Falwell if he were an atheist.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

BaccaBerri

12 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2006 :  11:54:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send BaccaBerri a Yahoo! Message Send BaccaBerri a Private Message
Well i suppose this is a good one to answer......Any radical extremist is dangerous as far as i'm concerend. No matter what these people are saying or preaching someone is going to believe them and there in lies the problem. Until people wake up and realize that they do not need to be told what to do and how to be etc. then people like this are dangerous.....but that's just my opinion

Commit Random Acts of Kindness
Go to Top of Page

zandore

21 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2006 :  11:57:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send zandore a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ricky

Firstly, that video portrayed the extreme fundamentalists as being in the majority, when that is far from the truth.
The main reason I posted this link is to show that there are militant Christians. A minority but none the less a reality.

Go to Top of Page

Sheri berri

24 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2006 :  12:16:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Sheri berri a Private Message
Religion is extreme in its beleifs, I don't think this video is exaggerating, to some degree 'gods' army is alive and well (be it hatred towards gays , women knowing there place , Intolerance to anothers path which is differnet than theirs, also the concept that there is everything been said already about life/god.) Its extremely dysfunctional Namaste sheri

WHEN ONE CEASES TO HAVE A SUBJECTIVE EXPEREINCE WITH 'GOD' , 'GOD' WILL NO LONGER EXIST

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes
Edited by - Sheri berri on 02/19/2006 12:39:30
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2006 :  12:24:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
The video does attempt to tar all Christians with the brush of vile Christian Reconstructionism. That part's not fair or accurate.

What was fair was pointing out what the Bible, that confused mishmash of religion, fable, tribal history, laws, and moral pronouncements says believers should do. Not all the evil described or advocated in the Bible is metaphorical. If moderate Christians want to cherry-pick the "nice" parts, while dismissing the nasty parts as "metaphorical," it's only fair to demand that they should be honest about performing this modern revisionism.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 02/19/2006 12:45:57
Go to Top of Page

Geri_Berri

Ireland
11 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2006 :  13:38:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Geri_Berri a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Sheri berri

Religion is extreme in its beleifs, I don't think this video is exaggerating, to some degree 'gods' army is alive and well (be it hatred towards gays , women knowing there place , Intolerance to anothers path which is differnet than theirs, also the concept that there is everything been said already about life/god.) Its extremely dysfunctional Namaste sheri

Hey there Sheri fancy bumping into you here LOL

It was so funny that they show discrimination against gays but as I once pointed out if homosexuality is a sin against their bible...then sex before marriage is also a sin against their bible too right?? Yet the minister invited me and my partner to join their church (which we both declined) even though we where commiting this so called sin LOL they like to pick out what suits them

Make the world a smarter place....Be A Skeptic
Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2006 :  14:02:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner

The video does attempt to tar all Christians with the brush of vile Christian Reconstructionism. That part's not fair or accurate.

I'm with HalfMooner and Ricky on this one.

While I personally believe that the world would be better much off without religion (and I'm not picking on any flavour in particular), I know a number of people with various religious beliefs who don't exhibit any of the malevolence depicted.

That aside, those religious groups who do support these "extremist" views and behaviour deserve every bit of negative publicity and the rational people of this planet can muster.

John's just this guy, you know.
Go to Top of Page

shambhala

1 Post

Posted - 02/19/2006 :  14:10:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send shambhala a Private Message
"Children of a 'lesser god"

indeed sheri,

for are not all gods less than what they are proclaimed to be?
for are they not limited by that which creates them?

fanaticism works because nothing unites like a common enemy.

"I manifested in a dreamlike way to dreamlike beings and gave a dreamlike Dharma, but in reality I never taught and never actually came." - Shakyamuni Buddha
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2006 :  14:29:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Welcome to all the new members here. I like to point out to the anti-gay fanatics that there is no mention of gays in the ten commandments but there is mention of bearing false witness yet I heard no Evangelical groups speaking out about the Swift Boat lies or for that matter, about the WMD accusations that were trumped up and all the million other lies the religious are supporting to gain political power.
Edited by - beskeptigal on 02/19/2006 14:29:26
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2006 :  14:34:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
Ricky, have you ever seen the polling data that shows how many people in teh US believe they willbe "raptured" during their lives?

I can no longer find the site that had the data, but it was a legit poll.

22% of people think they will be raptured in their lifetime, and an additional 22% believe that the rapture will occur "soon", they just aren't sure just when.

That isn't a "small" minority.

Edit:
Not to say or imply that they are all as crazy as the people shown in that video, those are a probably a smaller minority.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Edited by - Dude on 02/19/2006 14:35:59
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2006 :  14:54:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
I suspect, though I have no data to support the suspicion, that only a relative small percentage of those who expressed belief in the "Rapture" actually believe in it very strongly, as in making any real-life future plans around the event. Many people can be quite practical when it comes to how they actually behave in the real world.

I'm concerned about the Rapture of the Nerds, the "Technological Singularity" that may be coming when/if true AI emerges this century. Stock up on anti-robot weapons!

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Sheri berri

24 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2006 :  17:32:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Sheri berri a Private Message
Shamby, thats an intereseting perspective why would we be united in disdain??? I so agree with you gods are all often less than not inspirational its frustrating.......(((hugs)))) glad you are here, love the name

"Children of a 'lesser god"

indeed sheri,

for are not all gods less than what they are proclaimed to be?
for are they not limited by that which creates them?

fanaticism works because nothing unites like a common enemy.

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2006 :  17:41:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Here's yer Rupture Rapture!

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds.