New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 12

trogdor
Skeptic Friend

198 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2006 :  14:10:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send trogdor a Private Message
Okay I found my source. unfortunetly, not only is it from Discover Magizine (not a scientific journal by any means) it is also on a page that you need a password to get to.

anyway, this is the article.

some quotes:
quote:
Marsupials have tailored the basic mammalian trait of breast-feeding to suit a specific set of survival skills. Nourishing offspring outside the womb permits more flexibility for mothers facing a fickle environment, says Renfree. If drought decimates the food supply, a red kangaroo can simply halt milk production and let her baby die—another will soon be on the way. Fertile female kangaroos keep one or two embryos queued up in suspended animation, and once a baby dies, another embryo begins development and will be born four weeks later. By contrast, a pregnant moose, say, must nourish the fetus for eight months until birth, regardless of how conditions change. Under harsh conditions, extra energy demands can endanger the mother.

all eyes were on Ford Prefect. some of them were on stalks.
-Douglas Adams
Go to Top of Page

BaccaBerri

12 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2006 :  16:58:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send BaccaBerri a Yahoo! Message Send BaccaBerri a Private Message
it's so nice to see all you people who think abortion is wrong....tell me how many unwanted kids do you have in your home? if the answer is none i think you need keep your opinion as your personal opinion and stop trying to make the choice for everyone else. If the answer is one or more then good for you for being such a good person, but there are a few million more in the world so you'd better buy a bigger house or else i repeat your choice is yours but leave me to make mine...k

Commit Random Acts of Kindness
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2006 :  22:08:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
marfknox said:
quote:
Also, I just went through this entire discussion looking for where I accused you of being rude, but it isn't in this discussion. So, what, are you harboring some resentment from a previous discussion?

I was just pointing out that you are rude, and hypocritical to boot. It IS fucking rude to tell somebody they are ignorant, even if true. The un-rude thing to do would be to simply point out their error and indicate that they are mistaken.

That you have the audacity to accuse anyone here of being rude is fairly amazing.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2006 :  22:47:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
Dude
quote:
I was just pointing out that you are rude, and hypocritical to boot. It IS fucking rude to tell somebody they are ignorant, even if true. The un-rude thing to do would be to simply point out their error and indicate that they are mistaken.

That you have the audacity to accuse anyone here of being rude is fairly amazing.

I direct you to this website that lists logical fallacies: http://www.datanation.com/fallacies/index.htm

Specifically, take note of #3 under "Attacking the Person", which is "the person does not practise what is preached".

I agree with you, it would have been less distracting to just point out Halfmooner's error rather than calling him ignorant. I admit my mistakes. Too bad you can never admit yours.

I find it rather amusing that you bring this up in this thread, despite the fact that I never called you rude in this thread. I don't even have a personal problem with you as evidenced by when I voice my agreement with your opinions.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Edited by - marfknox on 02/25/2006 22:47:55
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2006 :  00:16:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
marfknox cited:
quote:
I direct you to this website that lists logical fallacies: http://www.datanation.com/fallacies/index.htm

Great guide to fallacious arguments there. Note that site's explanation of the "Slippery Slope" fallacy (significantly listed under the heading, "Fallacies of Distraction"), the exact fallacy verso used here with a surprising degree of success.

I had written earlier:
quote:
The anti-abortionists use the "where do you draw the line" argument only for obfuscation. In fact, they and the laws they sponsor actually "draw the line" at "protecting" an unimplanted single-cell fertilized ovum. That definition is what freedom of choice people are actually fighting against in the US.
I hadn't known that verso's "slippery slope" had an identical formal name as a fallacy, when I wrote the above.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2006 :  00:23:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by marfknox

Human life does start at conception, Halfmooner. By denying this plain biological fact...
The reason people are making the "spontaneous abortion" argument is that life starting at conception is not a plain biological fact. The first conception of my wife and I did not result in anything which could be considered remotely human. That blob of undifferentiated cells would never have developed a heartbeat or brain waves, as it was incapable of generating either a heart or a brain, yet verso would have us convicted of murder for having it aborted, because it was conceived. verso's argument that conception is a non-arbitrary dividing line between life and non-life is shown to be false because there can be - and frequently is - conception without any potential for life (my wife's OB/GYN put the figure at 65%). The conception "line" is just as arbitrary as any other.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2006 :  11:44:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Ricky wrote: Are you stating that you think abortions should be legal until the moment of birth?

No. ... I was saying that I think we need to come up with an "arbitrary" line, and I think the arbitrary line come up with by the Roe v. Wade ruling is quite a reasonable and humane solution.

The reason I say we need an arbitrary line is because the two non-arbitrary lines: conception and birth, are both unacceptable.

- To draw the line at conception is unacceptable because the child is so undeveloped at first that it is silly to regard it having equal rights to persons. That would mean complete banning of fertility clinics, the birth control pill and other abortifacients, the morning after pill, and all embryonic stem cell research. In fact, if we draw the line at conception, a woman could be prosecuted for manslaughter if she miscarried due to reckless behavior.

- To draw the line at birth is problematic because right before birth we have a human being that is independently viable - he or she just haven't exited the womb yet. At that point they've also developed full senses and even recognize the sound of their mother's voice. Although the fetus at the late stages is still a parasite on the mother, it is so fully developed, to abort it without good medical cause is alarming to a common sense of morals and ethics. In short, allowing abortions in the third trimester, without good medical cause, does indeed lower our society standards on the value of human life.

Because neither non-arbitary line is acceptable, we must turn to the gray area. Roe v. Wade was a brilliant decisions, and it is a damn shame that so many people in America who appose the ruling don't even know the specifics of what it said.

This is an excellent post.
Edited by - beskeptigal on 02/26/2006 11:47:42
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2006 :  17:46:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
marfknox said:
quote:
I find it rather amusing that you bring this up in this thread, despite the fact that I never called you rude in this thread.

Who cares what thread it is in? You have taken it upon yourself to bitch at anyone on these boards you deem to be "rude".

If you can't live up to your own standard, then you can surely expect nothing less than people pointing our your hypocritical behavior.

Frankly, it is a miracle that somebody hasn't laid into you yet about this.

If you don't like other people being rude, and you complain to them about it, you forfeit your right to be rude to anyone.

You can't even admit that you were rude to Half. So I doubt you will be issuing an apology or recognizing your hypocrisy.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2006 :  18:12:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
Halfmooner wrote:
quote:
Great guide to fallacious arguments there. Note that site's explanation of the "Slippery Slope" fallacy (significantly listed under the heading, "Fallacies of Distraction"), the exact fallacy verso used here with a surprising degree of success.

I had written earlier:

quote:The anti-abortionists use the "where do you draw the line" argument only for obfuscation. In fact, they and the laws they sponsor actually "draw the line" at "protecting" an unimplanted single-cell fertilized ovum. That definition is what freedom of choice people are actually fighting against in the US.

I hadn't known that verso's "slippery slope" had an identical formal name as a fallacy, when I wrote the above.
Even though I had that fallacies directory linked as a favorite, I haven't actually gone through and studied it, so I didn't know either that "slippery slope" arguments are logically fallacies. I've actually read philosphical academic articles using slipperly slope arguments in debating the ethics of abortion, which is why I considered it a legitimate argument. Silly me - I trusted the Humanities. ;-)

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Edited by - marfknox on 02/26/2006 18:14:57
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2006 :  18:21:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
Dave W. wrote:
quote:
The reason people are making the "spontaneous abortion" argument is that life starting at conception is not a plain biological fact. The first conception of my wife and I did not result in anything which could be considered remotely human. That blob of undifferentiated cells would never have developed a heartbeat or brain waves, as it was incapable of generating either a heart or a brain, yet verso would have us convicted of murder for having it aborted, because it was conceived. verso's argument that conception is a non-arbitrary dividing line between life and non-life is shown to be false because there can be - and frequently is - conception without any potential for life (my wife's OB/GYN put the figure at 65%). The conception "line" is just as arbitrary as any other.

It doesn't matter if it is fragile, undeveloped human life, it is still human life. Newborn babies haven't developed the cognitive abilities of adults, but we don't deny that they are human lives. At conception, it is alive, right? So if not human life, then what sort of life is it? I'm talking about the biological fact, not any cultural qualifiers like personhood. Biologically, once there is all the genetic material together and the thing is consuming, producing waste, and growing, it is alive and of whatever species its genetic code dictates.

The problem is that in the political debate, it sounds just awful to say the debate is over whether all human life should be valued and protected equally because in the political context, "human" means more than biology. It means concepts of personhood that I would argue the embryo doesn't have yet. But to get biological, it is human life.

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2006 :  18:28:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
marfknox wrote:
quote:
Even though I had that fallacies directory linked as a favorite, I haven't actually gone through and studied it, so I didn't know either that "slippery slope" arguments are logically fallacies. I've actually read philosphical academic articles using slipperly slope arguments in debating the ethics of abortion, which is why I considered it a legitimate argument. Silly me - I trusted the Humanities. ;-)

I'd guess a "slippery slope" could work either way, either as an honest analogy, or as a fallacious argument. I've often used the term myself, and not with the intention of deliberate distraction. In verso's case, I think if was a deliberate, or perhaps "instinctive," fallacy intended to distract. I'm slowly learning a lot here about logical argument, or at least I hope I am. Most of my life, it seems, I've been using too many fallacies, as I suspect most other people do.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2006 :  18:48:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
quote:
Who cares what thread it is in?

I'm just pointing out that it is quite convenient that in order to defend myself I'd have to dig up accusations against you from other conversations. You are making a blanket accusation against me that I have generally “taken it upon yourself to bitch at anyone on these boards you deem to be ‘rude'.” I didn't accuse Half of being rude, so you just look like you're holding some kind of grudge against me for having called you rude in some other discussion.

quote:
If you don't like other people being rude, and you complain to them about it, you forfeit your right to be rude to anyone.

It's not about my personal preferences. When I've made accusations of “rudeness” I've meant them to be a criticism of statements that don't actually address the debate, but instead, turn into personal attacks. However, even that is a generalization that I am forced to make now because you are talking about my actions in a general sense instead of pointing out specific instances that I could either defend or admit to as hypocritical.

Tell ya what, I won't use the word “rude” anymore because clearly it causes confusion and gets (at least your) emotions running high. I seriously didn't think anyone would get so huffy about it, especially people whom I regularly voice agreement with! Regardless, instead I will be more sophisticated in my criticisms of what I suspect to be illogical arguments/statements.

quote:
You can't even admit that you were rude to Half. So I doubt you will be issuing an apology or recognizing your hypocrisy.

I didn't? Then what was this: “I agree with you, it would have been less distracting to just point out Halfmooner's error rather than calling him ignorant. I admit my mistakes.”

Guess that wasn't enough. Here, let me try again:

Oh, Halfmooner, I beg your forgiveness! I am a worthless slug for having called you “ignorant” instead of merely pointing out how you were being ignorant, which would have been much more kind. For the crime of my hypocrisy (well, I know it's not hypocrisy in this instance since I didn't accuse you of being rude, but whatever, Dude says I'm a hypocrite) I promise to drink decaf coffee for 10 days and recite the entire text of Carl Sagan's “Demon Haunted World” three times.

I mean, hell, if I'm gonna be a hypocrite, I might as well do it with style!

Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2006 :  19:39:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
Halfmooner wrote:
quote:
I'd guess a "slippery slope" could work either way, either as an honest analogy, or as a fallacious argument. I've often used the term myself, and not with the intention of deliberate distraction. In verso's case, I think if was a deliberate, or perhaps "instinctive," fallacy intended to distract. I'm slowly learning a lot here about logical argument, or at least I hope I am. Most of my life, it seems, I've been using too many fallacies, as I suspect most other people do.

I've been reading some stuff that makes me consider the limitations of logic, and where we go when logic can no longer help us. No doubt some people are already rolling their eyes at that very statement, but the reason pscychology and sociology are "soft" sciences, and the reason that history is sometimes considered a soft science and sometimes considered not a science at all, is because those fields cover subjects where most of the information isn't or can't be known and the thing being studied is also so darn complex that it can't only be looked at scientifically.

You know, hmmm, this is really another topic. I'm gonna go start another thread. Hope to see you there too!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2006 :  20:25:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:

It doesn't matter if it is fragile, undeveloped human life, it is still human life. Newborn babies haven't developed the cognitive abilities of adults, but we don't deny that they are human lives. At conception, it is alive, right? So if not human life, then what sort of life is it? I'm talking about the biological fact, not any cultural qualifiers like personhood. Biologically, once there is all the genetic material together and the thing is consuming, producing waste, and growing, it is alive and of whatever species its genetic code dictates.
Yes, this all boils down to what definition of "life" you'd like to use, even if we limit the discussion strictly to impersonal biology. The definition you've provided, "consuming, producing waste, and growing," is more than a little vague from a biological standpoint. Seeds, for example, don't consume, produce waste, or grow until they find their way to some nice, moist soil, but they certainly aren't biologically dead. On the other hand, there exist some human genetic mutations which prevent a zygote from growing past the fourth cell division (for example), so despite being "alive" per your offered definition, such embryos are always spontaneously aborted, often before the mother even knows she was pregnant.
quote:
The problem is that in the political debate, it sounds just awful to say the debate is over whether all human life should be valued and protected equally because in the political context, "human" means more than biology. It means concepts of personhood that I would argue the embryo doesn't have yet. But to get biological, it is human life.
And the point I was making is that there is no non-arbitrary dividing line between "human life" and every other possible state, since there are plenty of genetic faults which can cause a zygote, despite being (by definition) a fertilized ovum, to never "consume, produce waste, or grow." Simply having egg and sperm come together isn't enough to declare "that is a human life," even by your own definition.

My point is simply that biology is messy. A non-arbitrary dividing line between living and non-living humans would sure be nice, but just like a non-arbitrary definition of "species," actual biology isn't nearly as cut-and-dried as one might like. Nature doesn't give a damn that it's hard for us to pigeonhole its processes. That's why verso's logical and/or ethical arguments are fatally flawed, they all begin with the false premise that a conception will always result in a "human life" for some period of time (even if very short).

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2006 :  20:43:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Another question to ask regarding the definition of human life is, "biologically, are conjoined twins one human life or two?" This is why biology is so damned messy. Or, if a life starts at conception, are monozygotic twins (not conjoined) a single life, despite having two independent bodies?

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.64 seconds.