Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Lisa
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2001 :  00:18:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Lisa a Private Message
I'm seeing the military tribunals as more of a symptom than the problem itself. In the name of fighting terrorism: attorney/client privacy is in question, wiretaps..and then the tribunals. Now there's some new software, (magic lantern?) that the feds can use to see our every keystroke.
Sorry, I can't resist:
**!!!HEY ASHCROFT!! Fuck yourself up the ass if it will stretch that far!!!***
I'm sure that will make his day. Or at least give him something to do.
Anyway, in the name of "fighting terrorism", I'm seeing an erosion of our civil rights. I'm all for fighting terrorism. Hell, if they caught ObL tomorrow, why bother with a trial? A bullet costs 11 cents.
If we're successful in our quest to wipe out terrorism, will the folks who've been given rather enormous extra-constitutional power give it up? Or will they find a new enemy that's threatening the free world? Who will that enemy be?
Lisa

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room.
Go to Top of Page

Mespo_man
Skeptic Friend

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2001 :  08:02:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Mespo_man a Private Message
I just thought of a good trial ballon for military tribunals...

Put the heads of the U.S. intelligence services on trial, starting with Thomas Pickard of the CIA. What other country had such a massive intelligence breakdown, leading to thousands of deaths, and yet the chiefs still have their jobs, not to mention their heads!

The main advantage would be a quick trial by a kangaroo court, no embarassing public revelations, ("And just WHAT EXACTLY did 30 BILLION tax payer dollars paid to the intelligence community buy us, Mr. Pickard?") and a quick death by firing squad in the court yard by a Spanish speaking captain, played by Antonio Banderas.

What the hey. They DID ask Hollywood to help in the war on terrorism, didn't they?

(:raig
Go to Top of Page

Lisa
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2001 :  14:24:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Lisa a Private Message
Maybe the FBI and CIA were too busy playing with their remote viewers and their ouija boards to notice.
Lisa

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room.
Go to Top of Page

Tokyodreamer
SFN Regular

USA
1447 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2001 :  11:27:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Tokyodreamer a Private Message
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A25203-2001Nov27.html

------------

Sum Ergo Cogito
Go to Top of Page

Mespo_man
Skeptic Friend

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2001 :  12:08:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Mespo_man a Private Message
Keep an eye on Spain. The U.S. wants, but hasn't asked, to extradite the 8 terrorists in Spanish custody. Don't think it's going to happen.

http://www.cnn.com/2001/US/11/28/ret.aznar.bush/index.html

(:raig
Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2001 :  12:52:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message
LOL, just because someone is a terorist does not mean the US gets to try them all in secret courts. If Bush thinks he has jurisdiction over the whole world he had better think twice.

While the rest of the world condemns terrorism, they also condemn the US's socially retarded and backwards death penalty. Throw in secret military tribunals and you're not going to get a lot of extradition. These military tribunals look like a bad idea the farther we go with this. Bush should be raped on them come the next election.

@tomic

Gravity, not just a good idea...it's the law!
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2001 :  13:47:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:

LOL, just because someone is a terorist does not mean the US gets to try them all in secret courts. If Bush thinks he has jurisdiction over the whole world he had better think twice.

While the rest of the world condemns terrorism, they also condemn the US's socially retarded and backwards death penalty. Throw in secret military tribunals and you're not going to get a lot of extradition. These military tribunals look like a bad idea the farther we go with this. Bush should be raped on them come the next election.

@tomic

Small spelling question. Raped? Did you mean rapped (to strike or fault) or raped (forced sexual intercourse)? Either one is acceptable by me. :)

Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2001 :  13:55:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message
I mean raped

@tomic

Go to Top of Page

Tel

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2001 :  14:33:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Tel a Private Message
What are you all worried about ?
It just aint gonna happen
The networks wont let it happen
Theres just too much good tv in what would be the trial of the century
I hear Don King has offered to promote it
And McDonalds to sponsor it
And NBC have promised 25 hour a day coverage
All the defendants will get free turbi-twists
(in a choice of their favorite colors)
And Disney will turn it into a movie, called Alladinsane
And Bruce Springstein will write another crap song about it
Ho Hum ,
I can hardly wait !!!!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.