Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

PhDreamer
SFN Regular

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2001 :  15:31:24  Show Profile  Visit PhDreamer's Homepage Send PhDreamer a Private Message
As you may have heard by now, Bush emphatically does not support cloning for stem cells. I happen to think that legislating by personal morality is a bad idea, especially when said morality is arguably myth-based, so imagine my 'surprise' when I hear this from Bush, "[human cloning] is morally wrong. That's my opinion." I happen to think this remark is going to cause him a bunch of trouble. Comments?

There was an earthquake! A terrible flood! Locusts! It wasn't my fault, I swear to god! - Jake Blues

Lisa
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2001 :  16:07:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Lisa a Private Message
Gee Ph, haven't you heard? Shrub is the moral compass for the entire world! Just ask Ashcroft. If it wasn't for them, I'd be sitting here drinking beer and smoking cigarettes. Oops. Okay, end of sarcasm.
As far as the stem cell research goes, I think the US can kiss a lot of R&D goodbye. If I was a medical researcher, I think I'd already be polishing my resume and investing in some Berlitz language tapes. Isn't Bush supposed to have a science advisor? Or is he too busy throwing money at the CIA to fund remote viewing?
In his latest book, Dave Barry pointed out that yes, we pay a lot of taxes, but look at all the entertainment we get in return.
Lisa

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2001 :  16:38:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
If it can be done, it WILL, sooner than later, be done, and ethics / morals be damned. (Cleaned up a little puncuation).

The prospect of cloning for procreation makes me a little queasy, but for medical purposes I can see it. It is NOT person; it's a blastocyst!

f

The more I learn about people, the better I like rattlesnakes.

Edited by - filthy on 11/26/2001 16:40:06
Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2001 :  17:21:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message
And the difference between cloning for procreation and medical purposes is what exactly? We allow infertile couples to use artificial insemination and there was a big hullabaloo about that at first. People fear it because it's new and there have been all kinds of scary things written about it. I don't see any problem with it myself and don't see why there should be legislation against it.

@tomic

Gravity, not just a good idea...it's the law!
Go to Top of Page

Tokyodreamer
SFN Regular

USA
1447 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2001 :  17:53:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Tokyodreamer a Private Message
quote:

Gee Ph, haven't you heard? Shrub is the moral compass for the entire world!

Though this thread is about Bush in particular, let's not forget that his opinion seems to be the majority view of just about every major world government. They're all clamoring to outlaw it.

What's worse, a leader who is against it for personal religious reasons? Or one who is against it because his finger is in the wind? I don't know...

------------

Sum Ergo Cogito
Go to Top of Page

Lisa
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2001 :  18:01:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Lisa a Private Message
Some of us here are old enough to remember the "Louise Brown" case in England. She was the first "test tube" baby. For those of you who haven't heard of it, do a search and read up a little. Good for entertainment, if nothing else. Oh man, did the churches go nuts! They accused scientists of playing god. The end of civilization was predicted, due to his wrath. A merry debate was had by all. Now of course, the whole thing wouldn't elicit a yawn.
This promises to be as much fun. Of course, all the advances will once again take place outside the US. People in this country wishing to take advantage of these advances will go to other countries, taking their cash with them. The medical community will bitch, whine and cry.
When you compare stem cell with the whole "test tube" flap, its history repeating itself. By the time I'm old and gray (okay, older and grayer), the benefits from this research will have been imported, and no one will remember this debate.
If you have a very dark and twisted sense of humour, this whole thing is rather a hoot.
Lisa

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2001 :  18:03:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Actually, cloning in Nature is not all that uncommon. There are quite a few species of lizard, including some Whiptails in the U.S. (Cmenidopohorus) that are parthenogentic. All individuals of the species are female, laying fertil but unfertilized eggs. Perfectly natural.

I feel uncomfortable with human cloning for, if no better reason, than there are other options. A plus might be that the mother won't get multiple babies, as happens occasionly with artificial insemination, but still... I oppose it. Call it a conscience thing.

Medical research is a different story. If, as we've been told, new organs can be 'grown', spinal cord injuries repaired, dieases like St. Vitis Dance (Parkinson's) cured, and so forth, It will benefit our species as a whole. I still maintain that the blastocyst is not a human being, realizing that that statment is strictly a matter of individual interpretation.

luck,

f

The more I learn about people, the better I like rattlesnakes.
Go to Top of Page

Tokyodreamer
SFN Regular

USA
1447 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2001 :  19:43:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Tokyodreamer a Private Message
quote:

If, as we've been told, new organs can be 'grown', spinal cord injuries repaired, dieases like St. Vitis Dance (Parkinson's) cured, and so forth, It will benefit our species as a whole.

And you can be damn sure that the same politicians that are opposed to this now will be first in line to take advantage of the benefits of this if it pans out. Stupid hypocrites.

------------

Sum Ergo Cogito
Go to Top of Page

PhDreamer
SFN Regular

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2001 :  20:57:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit PhDreamer's Homepage Send PhDreamer a Private Message
quote:

quote:

If, as we've been told, new organs can be 'grown', spinal cord injuries repaired, dieases like St. Vitis Dance (Parkinson's) cured, and so forth, It will benefit our species as a whole.

And you can be damn sure that the same politicians that are opposed to this now will be first in line to take advantage of the benefits of this if it pans out. Stupid hypocrites.

This gets me as well. Orrin Hatch in favor of ECSR ferchrissake! Wonder what's got him going? I'd have liked to be a fly on the wall at his last checkup.

There was an earthquake! A terrible flood! Locusts! It wasn't my fault, I swear to god! - Jake Blues
Go to Top of Page

gezzam
SFN Regular

Australia
751 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2001 :  21:05:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit gezzam's Homepage Send gezzam a Private Message
quote:
Actually, cloning in Nature is not all that uncommon. There are quite a few species of lizard, including some Whiptails in the U.S. (Cmenidopohorus) that are parthenogentic. All individuals of the species are female, laying fertil but unfertilized eggs. Perfectly natural.

Forgive my lack of knowledge about this subject, but isn't the process of creating identical twins natural cloning as well?????

"Damn you people. Go back to your shanties." --- Shooter McGavin
Go to Top of Page

PhDreamer
SFN Regular

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2001 :  22:08:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit PhDreamer's Homepage Send PhDreamer a Private Message
It didn't even occur to me before, but the entire process of cloning is not even remotely analagous to ECSR. Recall, in this type of cloning, adult DNA is retrofitted into an ovum which is then basically coaxed into dividing. Now, unless someone wants to argue that God ensouls embryos after the first cell division or something, the controversy should end there. There is absolutely no way that sixteen or so young cells that contain existing adult DNA are collectively a brand spanking new human.

Edited by - PhDreamer on 11/26/2001 22:09:09
Go to Top of Page

PhDreamer
SFN Regular

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2001 :  22:15:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit PhDreamer's Homepage Send PhDreamer a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Forgive my lack of knowledge about this subject, but isn't the process of creating identical twins natural cloning as well?????

In a trivial sense, I suppose. If you want to call total zygotic division 'cloning,' I guess it would be technically correct. The difference is there's no way of knowing which one is the original (pre-division) zygote. That, to me, is an important part of cloning, as a process.

Go to Top of Page

NubiWan
Skeptic Friend

USA
424 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2001 :  09:59:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send NubiWan a Private Message

Dudya also said something to the effect, "Creating life to destory it.., is wrong." *L* Isn't Texas still "cattle country?"

Dunno, the issue of cloning, is a source of unease for me. Not of the science, itself, but in the authority that will oversee it's application. Guess me just don't have all that much confidence in our collective 'wisdom.' What guidelines, criteria, will be used, for what ends, and how will they be selected? Its mute of course, because it will be done, if for no other reason, than to see, if it can be done, like we don't already have enough peoples. The only 'real' question, is, will it be done in "public view?"

In this particular instance, its stated purpose is "therapeutic," and is a limited technological step forward. Although the technique would be the same for creating a whole human clone, the zygote (?) died after forming only three cells, just a minor glitch to be overcomed shortly, am sure. In my limited understanding, the patient would be the donor of these cells, used to create the stem cells, to prevent rejection of whatever therapy is attempted. And the offically "blessed" stem cell lines, are only good for research, not for human insertion. It seems this developement was publicly released, only to force the debate. Will this bio-technologly be allowed to bear fruit in actually treating people? Were me in charge, of course it should be.

"If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities." -Voltaire
Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2001 :  13:10:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:

[font=Arial][size=3]
Dudya also said something to the effect, "Creating life to destory it.., is wrong." *L* Isn't Texas still "cattle country?"

What a great point Nubi.

Rap Crap is to music what Paint by Numbers is to art.
Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2001 :  13:14:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:

As you may have heard by now, Bush emphatically does not support cloning for stem cells. Comments?

I've not studied much science nor have I yet taken a class in Ethics, however....will someone PLEASE explain what all the fuss is about? I just don't get it.
BIG Deal, cloning...so what!

Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2001 :  13:21:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:

As far as the stem cell research goes, I think the US can kiss a lot of R&D goodbye. If I was a medical researcher, I think I'd already be polishing my resume and investing in some Berlitz language tapes.

According to Dr. Dean Edel on his radio show yesterday (don't know if it was an orginal broadcast I heard it in the Los Angeles market) he said that's already happening.

quote:
Isn't Bush supposed to have a science advisor?

Must be creation science!
quote:

Or is he too busy throwing money at the CIA to fund remote viewing?
In his latest book, Dave Barry pointed out that yes, we pay a lot of taxes, but look at all the entertainment we get in return.
Lisa

My cousin once told me to read Dave Barry, never got around to it, maybe I should, that's a good one, LOL.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.