New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

NubiWan
Skeptic Friend

USA
424 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2006 :  11:09:06  Show Profile Send NubiWan a Private Message
Wow! Have always been told that the "Big Bang" wasn't actually an explosion.., but an expansion rate from "submicroscopic to astronomical" in a 'trillionth of a second,' makes the distinction kind'a moot for moi. Am a firm supporter of science over faith, but this degree of revealation of our 'reality,' is certainly not devoid of "awe and wonder" for me either...

http://www.spaceflightnow.com/news/n0603/16wmap/

Edited by - NubiWan on 03/17/2006 11:13:20

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2006 :  11:49:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
I too not only loved this discovery, but also am mind boggled about how all the stuff of the Universe could fit in the space of a marble. You have to wonder if we are correct that those quark flavors and similar particles are indeed the smallest divisions of matter. After all, weren't atoms believed to be the smallest for a while?
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2006 :  12:41:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
Or perhaps the Universe is just a lepton in another dimention. The 8th Dimention to be exact.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

NubiWan
Skeptic Friend

USA
424 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2006 :  12:33:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send NubiWan a Private Message
",..how all the stuff of the Universe could fit in the space of a marble." Try this on for size, beskeptigal.

quote:
At the big bang, theory says, all the matter and energy in the universe was compressed into a space about a trillionth of a trillionth of a trillionth of a meter across.

A press release yesterday, gave a somewhat more detailed explaination of the new data's implications, should you be interested.
http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2006-03/cuns-sdr032906.php

It seems certain to bring cosmology into the realm of the "hard sciences."

Go to Top of Page

Bill scott
SFN Addict

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2006 :  12:42:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bill scott a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf

Or perhaps the Universe is just a lepton in another dimention. The 8th Dimention to be exact.

quote:

Perhaps, or perhaps a pink and white striped circus elephant put it there?

"Lets get one thing clear, Bill. Science does make some assumptions." -perrodetokio-

"In the end as skeptics we must realize that there is no real knowledge, there is only what is most reasonable to believe." -Coelacanth-

The fact that humans do science is what causes errors in science. -Dave W.-

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.