Evangelical Christians defending human rights
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2006 :  22:58:17  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
Today on Radio Times, Marty Moss-Coane interviewed Allen D. Hertzke, author of Freeing God's Children: The Unlikely Alliance for Global Human Rights. The discussion and book were about the role evangelical Christians have played in lessening human rights abuses abroad and about the strange alliances they've made in those efforts.

Here's the radio broadcast of the interview: http://www.whyy.org/podcast/032006_100630.mp3
Here's the book's website, which includes excerpts: www.freeinggodschildren.com

Hertzke names several reasons for writing the book, but the fourth is most interesting, and final is most controversial (at least for skeptics):
quote:
Fourth, Freeing God's Children provides a window into the changing religious landscape, at home and abroad. For the past three decades, much American religious commentary has focused on the clash between conservative and liberal religionists over the nation's meaning and direction. In this book we will encounter alliances that belie that simplistic dichotomy. Liberal Jewish groups team up with conservative Pentecostals, the Catholic Church with Tibetan Budhists, Episcopalians with the Salvation Army, black churches with secular activists, feminists with evangelicals. Especially robust is Jewish activism for persecuted Christians, which flows in part from Judaism's historical commitment to human rights, but also from a growing sense of kinship with those whose persecution is written off as inconvenient. These diverse alliance of "strange bedfellows" illuminate how religous currents around the globe are impinging on American society and politics.

Finally, this exploration has something to teach us about the role of transcendent faith in the new millennium. For much of the twentieth centruy, the dominant view among intellectuals was that modernization brings an inevitable secularization of society, a waning of religious salience. Thus one reason top journalists, scholars, and policymakers have been slow to grasp the import of this new religious engagement is that they have long operated with secular "pictures in their heads" that dismiss the force of religious commitments in people's lives. Developments charted in this book not only challenge this "secularization thesis" but also suggest the need to incorporate the role of faith, particularly global Christianity, into the calculus of human rights around the world.
This sets off all my normal atheist alarm-bells. Of course I believe in church-state separation, which is secular government, and I think faith is not objective, and so religion should be personal, not public. But as I re-read that last paragraph again, I noticed it said "secularization of society", not government, which is a different thing. Also, "the need to incorporate the role of faith...into the calculus of human rights around the world" doesn't step on the toes of science or the search for objective truth because things like "human rights" are invented concepts, not evident facts of nature. Also, incorporating religious believers in the fight for human rights doesn't mean letting them take over.

Another thing that intrigued me about this discussion was the reality that not all evangelical Christians prioritize issues like gay marriage and Roe v. Wade, and in fact, not all evangelical Christians even oppose gay marriage or legal abortion. One caller was a student at a Christian college and she called to express her dismay that the media portrays all evangelicals as being on the side of people like Jerry Falwell. Hertzke admitted that happened because the evangelical political movement did start with socially conservative issues, but he argues that the movement has branched out beyond that.

OK, this post is already too long. Thoughts?

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Edited by - marfknox on 03/20/2006 23:01:33

geo berri

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2006 :  10:40:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send geo berri a Private Message
I agree with you on the fact that these days many christians aren't correlating todays civil rights issues with their religion. If there is anything we've learned from our past is that civil rights are infringed upon when religion takes the helm. At this time in history the conservative fundies will say and do anything to promote their selfserving causes. They will go down but not without a fight. In the US they thought GW Bush was their salvation,boy were they off the mark on that one. Activists like this don't scare me they just annoy me more than anything.

Throw open the windows of your life and let the winds of knowledge blow through your mind, geo
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2006 :  11:24:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
geo berri wrote:
quote:
I agree with you on the fact that these days many christians aren't correlating todays civil rights issues with their religion. If there is anything we've learned from our past is that civil rights are infringed upon when religion takes the helm. At this time in history the conservative fundies will say and do anything to promote their selfserving causes. They will go down but not without a fight. In the US they thought GW Bush was their salvation,boy were they off the mark on that one. Activists like this don't scare me they just annoy me more than anything.
Huh? You might try reading the post again.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Go to Top of Page

geo berri

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2006 :  12:43:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send geo berri a Private Message
I'm sorry but which part of mine didn't fit the topic? I guess I don't see the point to your last post. Give me a little more to go on, please?

Throw open the windows of your life and let the winds of knowledge blow through your mind, geo
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2006 :  13:07:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
geo berri, wow, I totally mis-read what you wrote. Very sorry. I get it now. :-)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds.