Repeal the 19th Amendment
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2006 :  07:20:26  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
http://fathers.ourfamily.com/19th.htm

Holy fragging crap.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2006 :  07:47:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
Seems perfectly biblical to me...

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2006 :  07:48:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message
quote:
From the site:
Only 12% of men and 9% of women support such "liberal" concepts as the Nineteenth Amendment.

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Edited by - furshur on 03/21/2006 07:49:01
Go to Top of Page

sts60
Skeptic Friend

141 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2006 :  08:37:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sts60 a Private Message
For some reason I'm reminded of the Dave Barry bit which goes something like this:

Good news: Women finally get the right to choose our leaders after millenia of suppression.
Bad news: Women turn out to be as stupid as men.
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2006 :  08:50:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
Erm, please tell me that is a spoof?

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2006 :  09:05:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
A while back, the Man Show went around with a petition to end woman suffrage, trying to get women to sign it. Not knowing that suffrage has nothing to do with suffering, many women did.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2006 :  11:40:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Siberia

Erm, please tell me that is a spoof?

I could tell you that. But it wouldn't be true.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2006 :  12:06:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ricky

A while back, the Man Show went around with a petition to end woman suffrage, trying to get women to sign it. Not knowing that suffrage has nothing to do with suffering, many women did.

Kind of reminds me of one of Jay Leno's famous "Jay-walks", where he asked people on the street how they would react if they found out that their neighbour was homo sapien.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2006 :  12:37:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
So is this one guy with a twisted perception of reality or a group of guys with a twisted sense of reality? I suppose blaming the deficit on women's suffrage is a change from blaming Clinton.
Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2006 :  15:01:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message
I thought I'd check out just how well developed their ideas and articles were, but the first half dozen of so links I tried were all broken, did anyone else find that?

Perhaps "yahvh" can sense that I'm an infidel and caused the holy web server to go all 404 on me. If only http error codes went into the 600's, or perhaps something could have caused an "Your modem (or other connecting device) is not functioning." error.

I also believe the first line of their survey is somewhat of an oxymoron:

"I, as a submissive woman of God, and of sound mind..."

Not being terribly informed when it comes to politics in the USA, how scary are these groups? I know they're quite capable of wasting a lot of time and money, which is bad enough, but are they really likely to be seriously listened to, to an extent that could change policy?

John's just this guy, you know.
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2006 :  15:15:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
If you click on the View the Signatories to the Petition link, the general consensus seems to be that this is a spoof site created by a feminist group--ostensibly to satirize the direction they believe the political climate to be heading--although that opinion isn't universal and no one seems to know for certain.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 03/21/2006 15:17:24
Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2006 :  15:46:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by H. Humbert

If you click on the View the Signatories to the Petition link, the general consensus seems to be that this is a spoof site created by a feminist group--ostensibly to satirize the direction they believe the political climate to be heading--although that opinion isn't universal and no one seems to know for certain.

Thanks H, that explains a few things.

The fact that I (and I'm sure others) consider(ed) that this could have been authentic is an indicator of how ridiculous things are. Or perhaps it just shows that my subconscious underlying assumption about religiously inspired politicians is that they'll try pretty much anything. Or perhaps I am just too gullible and not sceptical enough.

Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2006 :  17:08:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message
For a more obvious piss-take, here is a brief article by them wonderful folks at The Onion.

quote:

Constructionist Supreme Court To Revisit Women's Suffrage

March 17, 2006 | Issue 42•12

WASHINGTON, DC—The Supreme Court, demonstrating its new constructionist leaning since the appointment of Justice Samuel Alito, will re-examine arguments behind the 19th Amendment this week. "There was no constitutional precedent for amending the law of the land so dramatically," the Heritage Foundation's Trent England said Monday. "A case could be made on social grounds, but what the Court will determine is exactly what the framers of the Constitution wanted." While it's difficult to predict an outcome, observers believe Ruth Bader Ginsburg will use her three-fifths of a vote to oppose.

Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2006 :  19:25:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
John said:

quote:
I know they're quite capable of wasting a lot of time and money, which is bad enough, but are they really likely to be seriously listened to, to an extent that could change policy?

Do they have a chance at overturning the 19th ammendment? Not currently.

This is the same type of mentally deficient person who wants to replace the teaching of evidence based science with "biblical" science in our public schools though. The mindset is, unfortunately, fairly wide spread.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2006 :  02:40:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
It's a spoof.

There is no professor John Lott at the University of Chicago. And they mixed the name of the school up -- dead give-away.

There is, however a Prof. John Lott, but he apparently has little to do with such as this.
quote:
John R. Lott Jr., Ph. D. (born May 8, 1958) is currently a resident scholar at the American Enterprise Institute. His research interests include econometrics, law and economics, public choice theory, industrial organization, public finance, microeconomics, and environmental regulation.

Trying to open some of the links on the page gave me a Lott (snicker) of 404 errors.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.27 seconds.