Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Our Skeptic Forums
 Creation/Evolution
 Here's something new and interesting.......
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2001 :  08:10:25  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
I wonder- is this for real(????) or just more of the same, old washing of the hog?

http://www.earthfiles.com/earth303.htm

Or perhaps a little of both, and why have I not heard about it until now? Am I into the wrong arkie sights?

f

The more I learn about people, the better I like rattlesnakes.

cygonaut

12 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2001 :  08:49:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit cygonaut's Homepage Send cygonaut a Private Message
Philosophy was the highest level of knowledge you could obtain in ancient Greece - higher than math, physics, and even metaphysics.

One of the assignments philosophers had was to imagine and write about a Utopian culture.

Atlantis was simply Plato's doctorate if you will. He made it up.

George

Go to Top of Page

PhDreamer
SFN Regular

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2001 :  09:13:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit PhDreamer's Homepage Send PhDreamer a Private Message
I didn't realize question begging was such an integral part of the scientific method.

Frank Joseph has this to say about some language on some artifacts found by a Spanish oil expedition in the Azores:
quote:
I haven't seen what they found down there. It sounds like if it looks Greek, but isn't Greek, that might be that it's Etruscan. I'm not saying the site underwater is an Etruscan site. That's probably unlikely. The Etruscans did not build things that look like Teotihuacan, that's for sure! But the Etruscans, where did they get their written language? It's possible that what we're looking at in Etruscan is a variation of the Atlantean language. We don't know what the Atlantean written language looks like. But it appears to be the precursor, not just of Greek, but other written languages in other parts of the world.

So this guy hasn't even seen the language samples, yet it's likely that they are Etruscan variation of Atlantean, which is the precursor of Greek, etc

Your honor, the defense's case is clearly built on speculation. The prosecution rests.

There was an earthquake! A terrible flood! Locusts! It wasn't my fault, I swear to god! - Jake Blues
Go to Top of Page

Espritch
Skeptic Friend

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2001 :  10:22:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Espritch's Homepage Send Espritch a Private Message
I'm not an expert on this sort of thing, but I did notice the article cited an "expert" who had written a book called "Edgar Cayce and Atlantis". At that moment I stoped reading and decided it was all pure B.S.

Go to Top of Page

cygonaut

12 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2001 :  11:12:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit cygonaut's Homepage Send cygonaut a Private Message
PhDreamer - like finding Superman's wallet.

Go to Top of Page

ljbrs
SFN Regular

USA
842 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2001 :  11:35:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ljbrs a Private Message
This is a skeptics' site. I do not think that there will be many folks here who will take the bait of anything so questionable. There is absolutely no real evidence. Everything seems to be kept a mystery. And Atlantis? I do not suppose that rehashing Atlantis will bring any skeptics over to becoming true believers.

ljbrs ZZZzzz...

*Nothing is more damaging to a new truth than an old error.* Goethe
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2001 :  11:46:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
I am wondering if monoliths, or something that look like monoliths, have actually been found off the west Coast of Cuba at some 434 fathoms. I follow these things closely enough that I think I'd have heard about it before now. But maybe not.

I suspect that the whole thing is a 'fund raiser', monoliths or not.

f

The more I learn about people, the better I like rattlesnakes.
Go to Top of Page

ljbrs
SFN Regular

USA
842 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2001 :  12:17:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ljbrs a Private Message
I am a subscriber to and an avid reader of SCIENCE and NATURE (both of which cover important findings in all fields of science). I have other scientific journals and magazines. I have yet to hear of this miraculous find anywhere in the scientific literature.

I do not waste time with speculative thinking which is set in mystery. And on the subject of ATLANTIS (or anything similar to ATLANTIS), forget it.

ljbrs

*Nothing is more damaging to a new truth than an old error.* Goethe
Go to Top of Page

cygonaut

12 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2001 :  13:42:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit cygonaut's Homepage Send cygonaut a Private Message
Very good, ljbrs.

I agree.

Also look at other information, but always be wary of sources.

George

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.