filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2001 :  15:25:25  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
http://dailynews.yahoo.com/htx/nm/20011116/en/film-potterschool_1.html

Nonsense from North Dakota.

f

The more I learn about people, the better I like rattlesnakes.

Lisa
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2001 :  15:51:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Lisa a Private Message
Why is it that most kids recognize the difference between reality and fiction, but their parents seem a little unclear on the concept?
Lisa

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room.
Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2001 :  16:43:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message
I think there's one important thing someone forgot. A movie is usually considered a work of fiction and religion is considered to be not just truth but absolute truth. I know, let's toss every book out of school that so much as mention Jesus or any god. There goes history class!

@tomic

Gravity, not just a good idea...it's the law!
Go to Top of Page

Lisa
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2001 :  17:04:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Lisa a Private Message
So? Religion is part of history. I mean, its started enough wars, caused enough strife, and generally contributed to oppression and human misery, right?
A while back, when the outcry over the Potter books started, I asked several kids what they thought. Of course, they loved the books. I then asked how much of it they thought was real. Can we really make brooms fly? Are spells possible? The little brats looked at me like I was a nutter. That's pretend! they exclaim. Who'd be dumb enough to actually believe that stuff?
Well, at least we have our answer now: Fargo, North Dakota.
Lisa

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room.
Go to Top of Page

Peter de Blanc

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2001 :  20:49:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Peter de Blanc's Homepage  Send Peter de Blanc an AOL message Send Peter de Blanc a Private Message
quote:

Can we really make brooms fly? Are spells possible? The little brats looked at me like I was a nutter. That's pretend! they exclaim.

Shows what they know. It just takes a little clever engineering ;)

Go to Top of Page

Trish
SFN Addict

USA
2102 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2001 :  01:33:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Trish a Private Message
Do these people even have something other than a Hollyweird concept of what *Witchcraft* is? Don't they understand that witchcraft as depicted in the movies has little to nothing to do with the practice of Wiccans? And banning books!?

Do adults actually beleive that the fantasy presented in Harry Potter represents reality?

OK, anyway - hopefully Tues I'll get to take my kid to go see Harry Potter.

It is by the goodness of God that in our country we have those three unspeakably precious things: freedom of speech, freedom of conscience, and the prudence never to practice either of them. -Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2001 :  04:53:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message
I like this part;

The fact that some consider witchcraft a religion, the protesters said, meant that the school-led trip to the movie theater would constitute a violation of the separation of church and state and possibly lead to legal action.

Yeah, right. If they had wanted to take the kids to see a christian centred movie such as 'Prince of Egypt' I guarantee those protestors wouldn't have been there. If there's any silver lining in this cloud it's that those children will hopefully see the protestors for what they really are; a bunch of close-minded bullies with no respect for individual rights.

A pox on the lot of them.

Free speech; excercise it or SHUT UP!
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2001 :  05:40:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Yes, all this while the Bible has references to magic and witchcraft scattered all through it: Water into wine, bread and fishes, raising the dead, spirits and demons, and so forth.

I swear, I fail to see the diference.

f

The more I learn about people, the better I like rattlesnakes.
Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2001 :  05:43:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message
quote:

Yes, all this while the Bible has references to magic and witchcraft scattered all through it: Water into wine, bread and fishes, raising the dead, spirits and demons, and so forth.

I swear, I fail to see the diference.

But that wuz all dun by JEEEEEEEZUS!

That means it's ok, right?

Free speech; excercise it or SHUT UP!
Go to Top of Page

cygonaut

12 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2001 :  07:14:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit cygonaut's Homepage Send cygonaut a Private Message
Where's a wand when you need one.

Go to Top of Page

Espritch
Skeptic Friend

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2001 :  07:36:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Espritch's Homepage Send Espritch a Private Message
What was interesting was that all the children scheduled for the trip had already gotten their parent's approval. So, as usual, the protestors weren't acting to protect the delicate morals of their own children. They were trying to cram their foolishness down the throats of other people's children.

And as usual, the School adminstration demonstrated it's commitment to freedom of thought by folding like a jellyfish at the first hint of controversy. What a wonderful example for the children.

God, sometimes I really hate religious conservative wackos. If I only believed in witchcraft I could hex the whole bunch of them with big nose warts or something equally appropriate.

Go to Top of Page

cygonaut

12 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2001 :  08:04:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit cygonaut's Homepage Send cygonaut a Private Message
Right, Espritch, it's all so crazy. The kids got their parents' approval and a few wackos managed to turn the damn ship around -using intimidation and threats. Wayne Newton says, "No, not good." So it's off. Idiots can indeed control our lives.

George

Go to Top of Page

ljbrs
SFN Regular

USA
842 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2001 :  11:59:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ljbrs a Private Message
Busybody humans are such sad individuals. They are afraid that somebody else will have moments of enjoyment. I have neither read the Harry Potter books (I glanced through parts of one in the bookstore) nor seen the movie, so I am hardly an authority on things *Harry Potter*... On the other hand, anything which gets children to read AVIDLY has to be a positive learning experience.

Then again, using a flashlight under the covers is a great way to damage one's eyesight.

This country was founded by a lot of religious loonies (my ancestors), so when it came time to write the Constitution and the Bill of Rights, the *framers* carefully ruled out the possibility of state religions.

One of the best ways to make atheists and non-believers is to force children to sit all day quietly *contemplating the Lord* or some other such nonsense. Works like magic!

ljbrs

*Nothing is more damaging to a new truth than an old error.* Goethe
Go to Top of Page

ljbrs
SFN Regular

USA
842 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2001 :  12:08:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ljbrs a Private Message
Just for the record, I am not an atheist. Science is a great way of finding out about the unknown, although nothing in science is set in stone, and all theories are kept open for possible change. I believe in the methods of science which are always open to peer review...

ljbrs

*Nothing is more damaging to a new truth than an old error.* Goethe
Go to Top of Page

cygonaut

12 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2001 :  13:36:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit cygonaut's Homepage Send cygonaut a Private Message

That's completely false.

Creationists don't lack peer review. What they lack is evidence.

Go to Top of Page

Trish
SFN Addict

USA
2102 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2001 :  19:24:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Trish a Private Message
quote:
Busybody humans are such sad individuals. They are afraid that somebody else will have moments of enjoyment.

This country was founded by a lot of religious loonies (my ancestors), so when it came time to write the Constitution and the Bill of Rights, the *framers* carefully ruled out the possibility of state religions.

ljbrs,

They aren't sad individuals, they are frightening lot of mindless automotons and they won't be happy until everyone joins their mindless ranks.

Fortunately we have freedom of religion and hopefully freedom from religion. However, these types of groups would like nothing better than to see their particular religion be the New Theocracy of the Suppressed States of America.

It is by the goodness of God that in our country we have those three unspeakably precious things: freedom of speech, freedom of conscience, and the prudence never to practice either of them. -Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds.