Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2006 :  20:14:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:

Many of the people who post on this website seem to lean toward non religion, and no afterlife, etc., so if as the saying goes, 'you only have one life to live', why does anyone care what happenes after they are gone?

Ah, it makes prefect sense now. Every environmentalists secretly, or openly, believes in reincarnation.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2006 :  23:07:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

quote:
Originally posted by Snake
Thank you John, for your thoughtful, considerate and respectful answer. I pretty much agree with you.

Oh... Your question was rethoric. Sorry, I didn't get that. Please excuse me for going off like that.

Let me put it this way, what I see on sites like this and in emails, etc., are people who don't seem to have had any debate classes in school or haven't seen any real debates. I don't mean what are called debates when candidates run for office.
I mean when a question is put to the debaters, Whereas ......., then teams talk about the pros and cons. They present arguments for their side even if they don't believe them but because they are on that team. They don't stop and say nasty things to their opponent just because they don't like or don't agree with what is said.
I like to see arguments for and against problems not snide remarks like 'What the hell', 'What is your dysfunction anyway?' or nit picking about spelling or grammar, the meaning of words or the personalities of the posters.
John, so far is the only one in this folder who really thought about what he was saying. If he meant anything facetiously or sarcastically I didn't get it because his post was proper. It would be nice if everyone took the time to get beyond their own pettiness, with remarks of the type like 'the republicans are at it again', and listen to what is being said before looking at who is saying it.
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2006 :  09:50:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
Well this isnt debate class and we are not on teams where we need to argue against our own beliefs.

However some folks forget how easy it is to go overboard on responses, lets keep it civil people.

That said, what you wrote was very insulting and inconsiderate to many people myself included, therefor a snide response shoud be expected.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2006 :  09:51:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
Snake wrote:
quote:
I like to see arguments for and against problems not snide remarks like 'What the hell', 'What is your dysfunction anyway?' or nit picking about spelling or grammar, the meaning of words or the personalities of the posters.
This is only fair if the people making what you call petty remarks only made petty remarks. But most don't. Most include a lot of meaty response along with the "snide remarks". And then you, instead of responded to the content of what [they said, are only complaining about the way we said it. Whatever, Snake. This is the Internet, not a f*cking tea house. And really, as far as I'm concerned, you've opened the door to as many insults as I feel like hurling at you since you've several times stated your irrational and discriminatory hatred of my entire gender.

So are you going to get down and actually defend what you wrote about all humans getting into spaceships before global warming starts having ill-effects, or are you just going to whine more about peoples' attitudes?

BTW - how very stereotypically womanish of you to do so.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Edited by - marfknox on 04/11/2006 09:52:36
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2006 :  10:14:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2006 :  11:00:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
That smiley is worth at least 12 words.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2006 :  11:48:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Snake

quote:
Originally posted by marfknox
Then again, maybe Environmental Defenses's strategy for drumming of fear of global warming will also drum up support for such political policies in the near future.

I don't understand why anyone cares about the future of the Earth.
Many of the people who post on this website seem to lean toward non religion, and no afterlife, etc., so if as the saying goes, 'you only have one life to live', why does anyone care what happenes after they are gone?

Don't you know by the time this planet Earth is ready to fade away (by whatever means), people will have build space ships to take them elsewhere to mess that place up.
'What Me Worry!' A. Newman

Doing the psychic thing again, Snake? And hey, lets throw in a bit of the old "atheists are hedonistic" bullshit, too.

I suppose I should feel like you made some sort of valid point, but I ain't seeing it.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2006 :  12:55:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kil

Would you like to share....?

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2006 :  17:36:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
In response to Kil's popcorn eatin' smiley: What can I say - I know you guys enjoy a good catfight every once in a while.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Edited by - marfknox on 04/11/2006 17:37:01
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2006 :  18:36:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
...and I'm proud as hell, because I posted the popcorn-smiley here first.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2006 :  18:50:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:

In response to Kil's popcorn eatin' smiley: What can I say - I know you guys enjoy a good catfight every once in a while.

Naaa… that's not it. Here is what it is. I have pretty much disengaged myself from debating with Norma. Bad for my blood pressure. Pretty much, I am taking my own advice from this thread, where you and I had a discussion...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2006 :  13:34:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:
This is only fair if the people making what you call petty remarks only made petty remarks. But most don't.

This reply is the only one that makes at least some comprehendible sense, the others have no meaning at all, so I'll answer in a simpler way so you might understand.
I've heard that about 10% of the population is atheist. And about 3 or 4% is of genius ability. The numbers could be off but the point is that only a small percentage of people are in those groups. I've also heard that more highly intelligent people are atheists (or is it vice versa?). So, I expected, I guess, too much of people here. But it appears that posters to this site fit into the consensus much like in the general population, only a very few are intelligent enough to realize what's being said. As in real life, I'll just have to live with it.
As far as hating a gender, grow up! Not everyone is going to love everyone else for whatever reason. Move on.
If you are the age you say you are and have gone to school in the USA then I can only assume you don't have much of a well rounded education. (my daughter is older than you, she was in AP classes and as intelligent as I think she is, she was greatly lacking in the knowledge of too many subjects. Don't worry. It's not your fault, it's the schools and the democrats,) You are very young to talk to now, unless you are not American. You sound like you need more experience. As do many Americans of any age really.
It's unfortunate that a lot of people don't understand. Oh well!
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2006 :  13:49:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
Ah the hubris.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2006 :  18:41:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Hubris? I thought it was sheer egotism.

"I am so smart! I am so smart! S-M-R-T! I mean S-M-A-R-T!" - Homer Simpson

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2006 :  18:49:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
Ok, how about both? Should cover all the bases.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.