New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

drmabus
BANNED

128 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2006 :  11:44:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send drmabus a Private Message
Copyright? Are you joking or something? Do you UNDERSTAND what is being said here.....
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2006 :  11:49:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by drmabus

I would like for you to give an other example where D.M. can be fit into the context of prophecy....

That is pretty much what it takes. Nostradamus' writings were pretty vague and are completely dependent upon people like you to give them any meaning. As far as being prophetic is concerned, not likely. As pointed out by others you are simply using his words to predict the past.
quote:
Originally posted by R.Wreck

Tell me, according to Nostradamus, exactly what is going to happen next. Specific date, location, parties involved, and outcome.

Seems like an extremely fair question to me. And your answer was
quote:

IN THE PATH OF THE HOLLOW MOUNTAINS....
That is NEXT

Keep it vague and non sensical. Can't afford to step too far out on that limb.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

drmabus
BANNED

128 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2006 :  11:56:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send drmabus a Private Message
Well, they were written for the future... So of course translators are necessary.......

quote:
Originally posted by moakley

quote:

I would like for you to give an other example where D.M. can be fit into the context of prophecy....

That is pretty much what it takes. Nostradamus' writings were pretty vague and are completely dependent upon people like you to give them any meaning. As far as being prophetic is concerned, not likely. As pointed out by others you are simply using his words to predict the past.
quote:
Originally posted by R.Wreck

Tell me, according to Nostradamus, exactly what is going to happen next. Specific date, location, parties involved, and outcome.

Seems like an extremely fair question to me. And your answer was
quote:

IN THE PATH OF THE HOLLOW MOUNTAINS....
That is NEXT

Keep it vague and non sensical. Can't afford to step too far out on that limb.

Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2006 :  12:11:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message
quote:

Well, they were written for the future... So of course translators are necessary.......

That in no way invalidates my point, that Nostradamus writings were always vague and often non sensical. That any use of his writings has been limited to the grand farce of predicting the past.

Can any of his writings be used right now to make a specific prediction for next week, next year, within the next 10-20 years? You have been challenged by others use his writings to predict something significant and specific, and in the future. Or you can use anything from the past as long as you can prove that the prediction was made prior to the event.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

drmabus
BANNED

128 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2006 :  12:22:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send drmabus a Private Message
you try to evade the central point here....essentially you are dust in the grand scheme of things......and for that reason you need to humble yourself before God....
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2006 :  12:38:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Now wait a minute, wait a minute -- you are basing your argument on a Greek play?! From your link:
quote:
The Bacchae

Dramatis Personae

DIONYSUS: divine son of Zeus and Semele, also called Bromius or Bacchus.
TIRESIAS: an old blind prophet
CADMUS: grandfather of both Dionysus and Pentheus, an old man
PENTHEUS: young king of Thebes, grandson of Cadmus, cousin of Dionysus
AGAVE: mother of Pentheus, daughter of Cadmus, sister of Semele
FIRST MESSENGER a cattle herder
SECOND MESSENGER: an attendant on Pentheus
CHORUS OF BACCHAE: worshippers of Dionysus who have followed him from Asia, also called Maenads or Bacchants.
SOLDIERS and ATTENDANTS around Pentheus

Supplementary List of Characters and Places

The following names are frequently mentioned but are not speaking characters in the play.

Actaeon: hunter destroyed by his own dogs as punishment for boasting that he was a better hunter than goddess Artemis, son of Autonoe (one of Cadmus' daughters).
Aphrodite: goddess of erotic love and sexuality.
Autonoe: sister of Agave, Ino, and Semele, daughter of Cadmus, mother of Actaeon
Cithaeron: sacred mountain close to Thebes.
Ino: daughter of Cadmus, sister of Agave and Semele
Semele: human daughter of Cadmus, mother of Dionysus, killed by Zeus' lightning bolt.
Thebes: a major Greek city, where (according to some legends) the Greek race originated.
Tmolus: sacred mountain in Asia Minor, associated with Dionysus.

A thyrsus (pl. thyrsoi) is a hollow plant stalk, usually decorated with ivy, and carried as a symbol of Dionysus in the dancing celebrations (where it can acquire magical powers).

[Scene: The Greek city of Thebes, outside the royal palace. Dionysus, appearing as young man, is alone, with the palace behind him, its main doors facing the audience. He speaks directly to the audience]

Ok, I get it.... But April Fools ain't 'till Saturday. You're running a little early.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2006 :  12:41:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message
quote:

you try to evade the central point here....essentially you are dust in the grand scheme of things......and for that reason you need to humble yourself before God....

Which God would that be? Man has feared and worshipped 1000s of gods and spirits.

Besides I thought that the central point was the predictive nature of Nostradamus writings. If you want to change it to gods there is a Religion folder for that.

Life is good

Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2006 :  12:44:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:

Copyright? Are you joking or something? Do you UNDERSTAND what is being said here.....

Copyright. Dr. Mabuse is well within his authority here as moderator to insist that the copyright laws be adhered to. You, sir, agreed to these self same strictures when you signed up as a user. It is in the TOS.

Since we mere mortals have to deal with the courts, you are required to remove the entire quote by either paring it down to the crux of your argument and providing a link to the rest, or remove it in its entirety and provide a link to the original.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2006 :  12:58:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
quote:

Whatever, dude. Of course we're nothing in the grand scheme of the universe.
Produce that God for us to see, and then we'll talk.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

drmabus
BANNED

128 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2006 :  15:27:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send drmabus a Private Message
UNDERSTAND?
Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2006 :  15:57:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message
quote:

UNDERSTAND?

Nope. I guess I must be STUPID.

I might be able to save you some time though. I'm not sure how long it takes you to put together these posts so chock-full of usefult information, but you could try this random sentence generator.

Below are a couple of samples. In my opinion, it generates statements and arguments just as valid as any I've seen posted by you, drmabus.

"When the judge toward the defendant feels nagging remorse, an overripe grizzly bear ruminates. When a hydrogen atom trembles, some revered burglar gets stinking drunk. Any movie theater can organize the completely dreamlike minivan, but it takes a real plaintiff to find subtle faults with the tomato near a wedge. An overpriced grain of sand hardly buys an expensive gift for a tornado, or a carpet tack related to a diskette cooks cheese grits for a frozen pickup truck."

"ndeed, the overwhelmingly self-loathing diskette derives perverse satisfaction from the sandwich. Furthermore, a dolphin daydreams, and a shabby tripod requires assistance from a mating ritual around the canyon. Any bullfrog can sell the gentle bowling ball to a fighter pilot toward another ocean, but it takes a real plaintiff to graduate from a cocker spaniel. The fruit cake near the short order cook hesitantly borrows money from a polar bear over a roller coaster. Indeed, a dirt-encrusted power drill goes deep sea fishing with the often hairy satellite."

Actually, in hindsight () Some of these aren't bad candidates for future postdiction attempts.

John's just this guy, you know.
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2006 :  15:57:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message
quote:

UNDERSTAND?

One word post are hardly worthwhile. What is it that you would like us to understand? Try complete sentences maybe even a paragraph, then we will see if we can reach an understanding.

Keep in mind that this is a skeptics forum, you will find no choir here.

Life is good

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2006 :  16:12:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:

UNDERSTAND?

Yes, yes rather I do......

Sorry, but I get sufficient fantasy from si-fi, British comedy, The Simpsons, and Harry Potter.

However, if you will organize your thoughts and present them in such a fashion as to appear less hysterical, we might get a discussion going.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2006 :  17:16:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message
Perhaps...this is more relevant. Providing a broader perspective:

http://www.xanga.com/Nostradumbass

Diversity, independence, innovation and imagination are progressive concepts ultimately alien to the conservative mind.

"TAX AND SPEND" IS GOOD! (TAX: Wealthy corporations who won't go poor even after taxes. SPEND: On public works programs, education, the environment, improvements.)
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2006 :  19:36:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
This is essentially a copy of the post I left in place of the deletion I made…

drmabus, I am unwilling to sift through your original post in this thread and figure out what parts may be copyright violations, if any. Since you were warned twice by moderators on this site to clean the post up and provide links to the text, I feel the time has come to take an administrative action by deleting the whole post.

Feel free to repost any part of your original post so long as you include links to the original material and only post a small part of the original text. Usually a copied paragraph is enough. The people on this site do open links, so they will be read. Include the point you are tying to make in your own words.

Also, consider this an official warning. We take copyright infringement very seriously.

Kil

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.