Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 14

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2006 :  14:01:57  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message
I took the family to the Field Museum in Chicago. There latest exhibit is Evolving Planet, a walk through the history of Earth, with scientific explanations for a ton of stuff, lots of cool fossils, and more than a few huge dinosaurs. The kids really enjoyed it. It was also encouraging to see that the place was packed with visitors.

I highly recommend a visit if you're in Chicago. In any case, check out the link above.

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion

Bill scott
SFN Addict

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2006 :  14:44:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bill scott a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by R.Wreck

I took the family to the Field Museum in Chicago. There latest exhibit is Evolving Planet, a walk through the history of Earth, with scientific explanations for a ton of stuff, lots of cool fossils, and more than a few huge dinosaurs. The kids really enjoyed it. It was also encouraging to see that the place was packed with visitors.

I highly recommend a visit if you're in Chicago. In any case, check out the link above.

Evolving Planet
Opens March 10, 2006

What did the world look like through the eyes of a 500-million-year-old trilobite?

(bill) Wow, they got some digital pictures or something?

What could you see and hear in the swampy forest that was Chicago…300 million years ago?

(bill) Answer: Nothing.

Evolving Planet takes visitors on an awe-inspiring journey through 4 billion years of life on Earth,

(bill) 4 billion years of life on earth all stuffed into one little museum. They must be experts in space management....

from single-celled organisms

(bill) Were they in the warm little pond?

to towering dinosaurs and our extended human family.
(Bill) That would be one heck of a family reunion... Better cater that party....

Unique fossils,

(bill) Next time can you pick me up one of those transitional fossil key chains they sell at the gift shop on your way out?

animated videos,

(bill) Oh of course, animated videos. I thought, maybe, they had cell phone pics or something.

hands-on interactive displays, and recreated sea- and landscapes help tell the compelling story of evolution—

(bill) That is right, story. Fairytale is more like it.

the single process that connects everything that's ever lived on Earth.

(bill) Ah yes, random process and natural selection. Masters of complex and creative designs or so we think....

"Lets get one thing clear, Bill. Science does make some assumptions." -perrodetokio-

"In the end as skeptics we must realize that there is no real knowledge, there is only what is most reasonable to believe." -Coelacanth-

The fact that humans do science is what causes errors in science. -Dave W.-

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2006 :  14:55:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
You obviously don't, Bill. Think so, that is. Of course, most evolutionary biologists don't think that, either. You should start your own strawman museum.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2006 :  15:15:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message
quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
What did the world look like through the eyes of a 500-million-year-old trilobite?

(bill) Wow, they got some digital pictures or something?

No, Bill, digital cameras hadn't been invented yet. But based on the evidence available we have a pretty good idea of what the Earth was like 500 million years ago.

quote:
Evolving Planet takes visitors on an awe-inspiring journey through 4 billion years of life on Earth,

(bill) 4 billion years of life on earth all stuffed into one little museum. They must be experts in space management....

Actually, it's a pretty damn big museum. And yes they're pretty good at space management considering all the supporting evidence and facts they present.

quote:
What could you see and hear in the swampy forest that was Chicago…300 million years ago?

What evidence do you have that the part of the continent where Chicago now sits was not a swampy forest 300 million years ago?

quote:
from single-celled organisms

What warm little pond? Find me on the Evolving Planet website where that term is used.

quote:
to towering dinosaurs and our extended human family.
(Bill) That would be one heck of a family reunion... Better cater that party....

Yes it is one heck of a family reunion. Nice turn of phrase there Bill.

quote:
Unique fossils,

(bill) Next time can you pick me up one of those transitional fossil key chains they sell at the gift shop on your way out?

Maybe this will help you understand why your blather about transitional follsils simply reveals your ignorance:

quote:

Misconception: The only proof for evolution is the fossil record, which has “gaps” in it, so evolution must be incorrect.

Answer:

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2006 :  15:45:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message
There once was a lad named Bill scott
His thinking abilities weren't all that hot
Rationality and logic was not applied
And everyone sighed
Can't he just return to his cot

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page

tw101356
Skeptic Friend

USA
333 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2006 :  16:13:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send tw101356 a Private Message
There once was a Young Earth Creationist
Whose theories were more than sensationalist.
His strawmen, erected,
Fell, when he rejected
Mere facts from a skeptical rationalist.

Ed. to improve rhyme scheme.

- TW
Edited by - tw101356 on 03/30/2006 16:14:58
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2006 :  17:29:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Greetings from a warm, little pond...

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2006 :  02:02:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
I for one would love to see it. Seattle has a small natural science museum at the U of WA but otherwise our science museum is more full of the hands on kind of exhibits. I plan to go to the science fiction museum that recently opened. It should be good. Paul Allen of Microsoft built it along side his music experience museum.
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2006 :  05:44:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
quote:

Are you a YEC (Young Earth Creationist), Bill, meaning you believe the literal interpretation of the book of Genesis from the Judeo/Christian/Muslim religious texts?

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Edited by - pleco on 03/31/2006 05:44:43
Go to Top of Page

Bill scott
SFN Addict

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2006 :  06:26:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bill scott a Private Message

quote:
But based on the evidence available we have a pretty good idea of what the Earth was like 500 million years ago.

(bill) Code for, "with our biased dogmatic worldview all ready completely engrossed in naturalism, we can look at the evidence with are biased glasses on and predict the past with our biased conclusions. With that prediction of the past rubber stamped approved we can paint a picture, or make a cartoon video, of what we want the earth to look like 500 million years in the past."

quote:
quote:
4 billion years of life on earth all stuffed into one little museum. They must be experts in space management....

Actually, it's a pretty damn big museum. And yes they're pretty good at space management

(bill) I am just saying if they go through 4 billion years of life here on earth in one, three hour visit to a museum then I am very sure they are giving you the "directors cut" version...

quote:
considering all the supporting evidence and facts they present.

(bill) Oh yeah, the cartoon videos...

quote:
quote:
quote:

What evidence do you have that the part of the continent where Chicago now sits was not a swampy forest 300 million years ago?

(bill) What evidence do you have that the planet earth was even here 300 million years ago, let alone the base foundation for Soldier and Wrigley field?

quote:
quote:

What warm little pond? Find me on the Evolving Planet website where that term is used.

I never said the Evolving Planet did have a warm little pond, I asked. Did you not see the question mark? I was asking if the single cell organism was in Darwin's "warm little pond?"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/4702336.stm

quote:
Yes it is one heck of a family reunion. Nice turn of phrase there Bill.

(bill) You would think with 100,000 of years of these ancestors being buried in the ground we might find huge amounts of fossils showing the 100,000's of years they crawled, dragged their knuckles, or walked the face of the planet? Instead the field museum will just produce a cartoon video on how it was so...

quote:
Maybe this <http://www.fieldmuseum.org/evolvingplanet/allabout_7.asp> will help you understand why your blather about transitional follsils simply reveals your ignorance:

Answer: False. Given the extremely rare occurrence of fossilization, gaps in the record are only to be expected.

(bill) Most humans bury their dead. Where are all the dead people buried that have died over just the last 100,000 years? That would be a gigantic amount of carnage buried in the earth. Then go back 200,000 years. Where are all those people buried?

quote:
While the fossil record on its own is not enough to demonstrate the forces of evolution at work,

(bill) So the naturalist just takes three or four just-so stories and rubber stamps their thesis based on sheer volume of gibberish...
Evolutionist: Speculative and incomplete evidence in the fossil record + Speculative and incomplete evidence for natural selection + Speculative and incomplete evidence for random mutations creating new information = Empirical evidence for molecules to man evolution.

Oh good grief...

quote:
scientists also have at their disposal other lines of evidence supporting the theory of evolution, such as genetic analysis, biochemistry, developmental biology, and comparative anatomy.

Evolutionist: Speculative and incomplete evidence + Speculative and incomplete evidence + Speculative and incomplete evidence = Empirical evidence for molecules to man evolution.

quote:
Spotty as it is,

(bill) No, not spotty. Try non-existent.

quote:
the fossil record documents steps of transition (e.g., feathered dinosaurs and the origin of birds).

(bill) Billions of years of life and death here on earth they can not even produce one fossil showing a jump from one species to a new...

quote:
The animated videos are used to explain concepts such as natural selection such that even my 9-year old could understand it.

(bill) Right, just like Walt Disney used animated video to bring his fairytale mouse to life for all the kids as well.

quote:
quote:
Ah yes, random process and natural selection. Masters of complex and creative des

"Lets get one thing clear, Bill. Science does make some assumptions." -perrodetokio-

"In the end as skeptics we must realize that there is no real knowledge, there is only what is most reasonable to believe." -Coelacanth-

Edited by - Bill scott on 03/31/2006 07:01:51
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2006 :  06:27:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by pleco

quote:

Are you a YEC (Young Earth Creationist), Bill, meaning you believe the literal interpretation of the book of Genesis from the Judeo/Christian/Muslim religious texts?

Hah! Good luck with that, pleco! I've been barkin' up that tree ever since Bill came aboard. He still has offered no info at all on what belief system he follows aside from neoconservative (choke) philosophy.

I dunno. Maybe he feels that it weaves a little mystery into our otherwise drab and fact-riddled lives.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2006 :  06:52:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message

quote:
<BIG FUCKING SNIP!>

quote:
Spotty as it is,

(bill) No, not spotty. Try non-existent.

quote:
the fossil record documents steps of transition (e.g., feathered dinosaurs and the origin of birds)

(bill) Billions of years of life and death here on earth they can not even produce one fossil showing a jump from one species to a new...

quote:
The animated videos are used to explain concepts such as natural selection such that even my 9-year old could understand it.

(bill) Right, just like Walt Disney used animated video to bring his fairytale mouse to life for all the kids as well.

quote:
quote:
(bill) Ah yes, random process and natural selection. Masters of complex and creative designs or so we think....

That's right, Bill.

(bill) Randomness creates dis-information, not new and complex information...

What the hell happened? You were doing pretty good with your formatting, now this! There is no way I nor anyone is going to dig through it. But I will comment on the last line:

References please, and preferably not something gibbered up by Hovind or Ham. Would prefer the product of exacting research rather than fairy tales.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Bill scott
SFN Addict

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2006 :  07:24:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bill scott a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

Greetings from a warm, little pond...

Very cute filth. But the truth paints a different picture, or animated video, take your pick...

"We are now testing Darwin's idea, but in 'hot little puddles' associated with the volcanic regions of Kamchatka (Russia) and Mount Lassen (California, US)."

"The results are surprising and in some ways disappointing. It seems that hot acidic waters containing clay do not provide the right conditions for chemicals to assemble themselves into 'pioneer organisms.'"

"Understanding how life emerged on Earth within 1,000 million years of its formation is a fascinating scientific problem"
Prof Ian Smith, University of Cambridge

"However," he added, "in our experiments, the organic compounds became so strongly held to the clay particles that they could not undergo any further chemical reactions."

"Martian existence?"

"While our understanding of the world is rapidly increasing, the answer to how life began on Earth remains elusive."

"He believes the answer may lie in interstellar dust, and will be talking about the possibility that a comet or asteroid may have provided Earth with the raw ingredients needed for life."

"One possibility is that life really did begin in a 'warm little pond', but not in hot volcanic springs or marine hydrothermal vents," he added.

Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2006 :  07:30:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
quote:
(bill) Code for, "with our biased dogmatic worldview all ready completely engrossed in naturalism, we can look at the evidence with are biased glasses on and predict the past with our biased conclusions. With that prediction of the past rubber stamped approved we can paint a picture, or make a cartoon video, of what we want the earth to look like 500 million years in the past."

The same dogmatic view that theorizes that e=mc^2, f=ma, or other sciences like forensic science (using science to re-create a crime scence that happened decades or centuries past), modern medicine, the computer you type your dribble on, etc.....Theory backed up by evidence - what a terrible way to look at the world.

You believe the world is a sphere? The earth rotates around the sun, right? You believe a man walked on the moon? You haven't seen this for yourself, so why do you believe it (if you do)?

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Edited by - pleco on 03/31/2006 07:33:19
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2006 :  08:01:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:

Very cute filth. But the truth paints a different picture, or animated video, take your pick...

"We are now testing Darwin's idea, but in 'hot little puddles' associated with the volcanic regions of Kamchatka (Russia) and Mount Lassen (California, US)."

"The results are surprising and in some ways disappointing. It seems that hot acidic waters containing clay do not provide the right conditions for chemicals to assemble themselves into 'pioneer organisms.'"

"Understanding how life emerged on Earth within 1,000 million years of its formation is a fascinating scientific problem"
Prof Ian Smith, University of Cambridge

"However," he added, "in our experiments, the organic compounds became so strongly held to the clay particles that they could not undergo any further chemical reactions."

"Martian existence?"

"While our understanding of the world is rapidly increasing, the answer to how life began on Earth remains elusive."

"He believes the answer may lie in interstellar dust, and will be talking about the possibility that a comet or asteroid may have provided Earth with the raw ingredients needed for life."

"One possibility is that life really did begin in a 'warm little pond', but not in hot volcanic springs or marine hydrothermal vents," he added.

I might remind that the failure to success ratio of experiments rather leans toward failure; but with each failure, a little more is learned. The research continues.

Incidentally, evolution doesn't "jump" from one species to another. Rather, it is a orderly process as can be seen in this link discussing the thecodonts: transitional species between mammals and reptiles.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2006 :  08:33:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
Not a sphere! A geoid! There is a difference, you know

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 14 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.51 seconds.