Grant in Canada denied because of evolution
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2006 :  20:09:22  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
A "scholarly debate over evolution"? http://www.canada.com/montrealgazette/news/story.html?id=0a8fac12-185a-445f-a463-5d127eaa40f2&k=11346

quote:
McGill University says the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council made a "factual error" when it denied Professor Brian Alters a $40,000 grant on the grounds that he'd failed to provide the panel with ample evidence that Charles Darwin's theory of evolution is correct.

Man, Canadian social science really needs help.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Edited by - marfknox on 04/17/2006 20:09:53

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2006 :  21:28:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
Well there goes my back up plan for moving to Canada when the fundamentalists finally turn this country into a theocracy. How's the political climate in Sweden?

quote:
Jennifer Robinson, McGill's associate vice-principal for communications, said the university has asked the SSHRC to review its decision to reject Alters's request for money to study how the rising popularity in the United States of "intelligent design" - a controversial creationist theory of life - is eroding acceptance of evolutionary science in Canada.

That is just too funny. He can't study the effect of intelligent design on Canada's acceptance of evolution because he didn't show evolution to be correct!

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2006 :  21:45:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ricky

Well there goes my back up plan for moving to Canada when the fundamentalists finally turn this country into a theocracy. How's the political climate in Sweden?

None of the crazy stuff over here yet.
We have election in about 6 months, and though the right-wing political block has a very slight lead, the social-democrats (the biggest party in Sweden) usually pick up the slack on election day. I predict it's going to be tight this time, and the nationalist party is going to get at least twice as many votes than last time (though not enough to get a seat in the parliament) all thanks to the Muslim response to the Danish Muhammed-cartoons and the sitting government's lack of balls to speak up on Denmark's behalf (bloody traitors).
Christian extremists are a non-factor. Science and reason are taught in schools over here.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Maverick
Skeptic Friend

Sweden
385 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2006 :  12:50:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Maverick a Private Message
I'm tired of our government. They let American agents operate in Sweden and cooperate with Swedish agents to violate our constitution. They don't speak up for Denmark or freedom of speech, not loud enough anyway. The Secret Service apparently shut down a website with Muhammed cartoons. I think we're just afraid of making anyone upset or angry. Obviously, people will vote for them again. I think it's because we're not tired of the unemployment and weak economy yet.

But at least creationism is rare among our politicians, if not non-existent. But I do recall that the leader of the Youth Christian Democrats said she believed in the creation story. I'm not sure how literal her interpretation is (that is, how her beliefs align with the story she claim to believe).

"Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of this astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy." -- Carl Sagan
Edited by - Maverick on 04/18/2006 12:51:25
Go to Top of Page

Ghost_Skeptic
SFN Regular

Canada
510 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2006 :  13:18:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ghost_Skeptic a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by marfknox

Man, Canadian social science really needs help.

At least our paleontologists "Rock"

University of Alberta Paleontologists Finds a Therapod Bigger than T-Rex

I am not that surprised - the social sciences tend to attract the kind of people who take a perverse pride in ignorance of the "hard" sciences. As well, many of them don't like the Theory of Evolution for ideological reasons.

B.B. King is right.

"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. / You can send a kid to college but you can't make him think." - B.B. King

History is made by stupid people - The Arrogant Worms

"The greater the ignorance the greater the dogmatism." - William Osler

"Religion is the natural home of the psychopath" - Pat Condell

"The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter" - Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2006 :  16:00:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Maverick
But at least creationism is rare among our politicians, if not non-existent. But I do recall that the leader of the Youth Christian Democrats said she believed in the creation story. I'm not sure how literal her interpretation is (that is, how her beliefs align with the story she claim to believe).

I used to know one of the top guys in the Youth Christian Democrats, Magnus Jacobsson, but I lost contact with him almost 15 years ago. About the same time he was studying at "Livets Ord"'s bible-school. I don't know how much dammage that school did, but the little I talked to him after his graduation, he was not too far gone.

Expect the Christian Democrat's Youth to be slightly more radical than it's mother party.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Ghost_Skeptic
SFN Regular

Canada
510 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2006 :  23:52:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ghost_Skeptic a Private Message
quote:
The members of the SSHRC committee that rejected Alters's application were: chairperson Susan Bennett of the department of English literature at the University of Calgary...

Now there's someone qualified to judge the validity of the theory of evolution.

"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. / You can send a kid to college but you can't make him think." - B.B. King

History is made by stupid people - The Arrogant Worms

"The greater the ignorance the greater the dogmatism." - William Osler

"Religion is the natural home of the psychopath" - Pat Condell

"The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter" - Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.