Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2006 :  19:05:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

I Googled Dr Sarich. He seems to be a prominent geneticist, evolutionist and is a professor at Stanford. I suggest you go through his works and find the numbers because they are incorrect and I think ol' Marv took something out of context or is mis-quoting the professor. If we have 3 million differences just between one human and another it seems unlikely those numbers as stated are correct. Perhaps he used the numbers as a hypothetical example rather than saying they were factual.
I think that Mab nailed the reason for the numbers being off. Dr. Sarich's real claim to fame is being instrumental in the development of the "molecular clock" idea in 1978, just a year before those numbers were put forth in a debate he had. The result he came up with - that humans and apes diverged only five million years ago - was extremely controversial at the time (the fossil folks had it pegged at 13 million years), and in the last 27 years, Dr. Sarich's number has been revised upward. Last I saw, it was getting closer to seven million years. Given that the "tick rate" of the molecular clock has also been revised over that same 27 years, I think you'll find the current numbers to be higher.

But, bibleland said he isn't worried about the actual numbers, just whether or not the speciation event(s) are even measurable (at least that's the impression I had before he posted Lubenov's email). When you think about it, to a young-Earth creationist, all the numbers are moot, anyway, since there was no speciation event and any answer over 6,000 years is impossible.

By the way, one of the genetic data points I find handy when thinking about these sorts of comparisons, along the lines of your "3 million differences just between one human and another," is that if you compare the DNA of two random white guys in the U.S., the number of differences will probably be larger than if you compare the DNA of the average white guy to the average African-American male. If the differences between "races" are less than the differences between individuals of a single race, then I doubt that the three-million BP difference you cite would be strictly comparable (in a sort of linear fashion) to the differences between an "average human" and an "average A. afarensis," for example.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2006 :  20:14:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
Right, Dave.

And consider this...
If there really was a global flood roughly 4000 years ago, then the mutation rate of the genome has to be enormous in order to produce the genetic diversity we see to day in humans.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2006 :  10:15:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
Not just humans, remember all the non-arked animals were killed off then as well.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2006 :  10:23:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
Just thought of a great one-panel cartoon for who-ever wants it...and pre-sorry for offending someones.

Scene is the dining room on the Ark with a calender on the wall with 20 or so days marked off, Noah is clearly enjoying the meal and behind him Noah's wife wispers to someone else "Just dont tell him its stegasaurus burger."

The punch line has some huge leeway if you want to change it... or have Noah say it. (Noah didnt build the ark to get away from his wife right?)

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Edited by - BigPapaSmurf on 04/05/2006 10:24:26
Go to Top of Page

Bibleland
Skeptic Friend

USA
51 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2006 :  13:23:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Bibleland's Homepage Send Bibleland a Private Message
Well I did it and I'm sure it will not make too many here happy.
www.lostworldmuseum.com
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2006 :  13:28:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Bibleland

Well I did it and I'm sure it will not make too many here happy.
www.lostworldmuseum.com

I don't see any dinos in that painting

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

Bibleland
Skeptic Friend

USA
51 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2006 :  14:05:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Bibleland's Homepage Send Bibleland a Private Message
Please take a closer look:

https://www.lnfbooks.com/~bls/catalog/images/Hi_Res_Not_For_Print.jpg
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2006 :  14:05:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
Ah, thanks! Hard to tell from the small image.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Edited by - pleco on 04/06/2006 14:06:05
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds.