New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 15

trogdor
Skeptic Friend

198 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2006 :  14:00:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send trogdor a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by trogdor

quote:
Originally posted by Bill scott

quote:
Originally posted by Paulos23

Yes, I was correct. Here are the links:

http://www.talkorigins.org/indexcc/CC/CC352.html
and
nature.com

And, the claim was made in a non-peer reviewed magazine, not by published scientests. Just an example of someone
pulling a fast one to make a buck and someone not looking closely enough. It happens. However, science was able to pull
something valuable from this mess.

quote:
And, the claim was made in a non-peer reviewed magazine, not by published scientests. Just an example of someone pulling a fast one to make a buck and someone not looking closely enough. It happens.

(bill) My point was not to highlight that the fossils was a fake, but rather to highlight that they are still looking for that "missing link" that does connect birds and dinos.

Yes science will continue to look for new discoveries. that is how humankind progresses.

[qoute] Sloan described it as, "a missing link that would connect dinosaurs and birds". He did not say it was another missing link that would connect dinosaurs and birds. Demonstrating that they are still looking for a missing link that connects birds to dinos...

you have got to be kidding. Because he did not put in "another" it means that they had never found a missing link between dinos and birds? so when I say " Bill scott is a creationist scumbag." I am saying that there is only one creationist scumbag? 'cause that's not true.

quote:
quote:
However, science was able to pull something valuable from this mess

(bill) Yes, it demonstrated that they have no missing links that connect birds and dinos and are still looking...

[satire] you mean that science is still trying to learn something new? those bastards!![satire]

[Edited to turn long URL into a link - Dave W.]

all eyes were on Ford Prefect. some of them were on stalks.
-Douglas Adams
Edited by - trogdor on 04/15/2006 17:46:38
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2006 :  14:30:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Hmmm.

Looks

I'm

not

gonna

get

a

clean

page,

one

with

no

idiot,

triathlon

links

to

fuck

up

the

format.

Ah

well.....

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 04/15/2006 14:36:39
Go to Top of Page

trogdor
Skeptic Friend

198 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2006 :  17:44:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send trogdor a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

Hmmm.

Looks

I'm

not

gonna

get

a

clean

page,

one

with

no

idiot,

triathlon

links

to

fuck

up

the

format.

Ah

well.....

well filth,
my bad. I was wondering what the fuck was up with my post. and now I've messed up yours
I will try to get you a new page

really I will.

I will try so hard.

why did the little girl fall off the swing?

because she had no arms

I feel terrible.

so, Bill do you any response to the good info that's posted on this thread?

all eyes were on Ford Prefect. some of them were on stalks.
-Douglas Adams
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2006 :  18:13:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Filthy promised:
quote:
If an ignorant redneck like me can learn it, anybody can.
Thank you, Filthy, I needed that formatting information, too.

If you have questions about formattng, and forum-codes or whatever, throw them out here. Sooner or later (but probably sooner) someone will answer them.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2006 :  01:17:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
well filth,
my bad. I was wondering what the fuck was up with my post. and now I've messed up yours
I will try to get you a new page

It ain't no big deal.
I'll just hold off posting
my favorite transititonal until
the thread gets straightened out.
No point in putting it up when there
is little chance it will be read, is there?
So, I'll leave it shelved a while and post this:

The Evolution of Sex

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2006 :  08:27:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Howzzat, filthy?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2006 :  08:54:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Much better! We all thank you!

I'll probably put my favorite fossil(s) up in the morning. Still gots a little polishing to do...

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2006 :  02:30:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
THE TRANSITIONAL TURTLES?

I have stated that the Theraspids were favorites of mine, speaking transitionally. But my real favorite, transitional fossils are the ones that haven't been found..... Yet......

Picture, if you will, a sea turtle, a huge sea turtle, the like of which has never been seen by even the most doughty of sailors, swimming slowly, ponderously, but powerfully and with a certain grace, through ancient waters. This is quite an elderly turtle, one who has survived a multitude of attacks by the predators of her times, including the ancestors of the terrible Carcharodon megalodon. She has lost her right, rear flipper, quite possibly to proto-megalodon.

But it has been a long time since she has had much to fear from her former tormentors. At over fifteen feet and something like four thousand pounds, she is simply too big to attack.

A placid creature despite her monstrous bulk, her diet is much like that of the sea turtles of today; jellies of all sorts, dead and injured fish, crustaceans, and a bit of scavenging when the opportunity arises. Her name is Archelon ischyros and she currently is thought to be the largest chelonian that ever lived.

In her lifetime, she had laid eggs numbering in the thousands and of those, perhaps hundreds of her offspring survived to adulthood, but it makes no matter; her lineage is coming to an evolutionary dead end. Her last, surviving relative is considered to be the endangered Leatherback, the giant turtle of today.

The rest of our modern sea turtles descended from other species.

The great turtles of the sea did not originate there. Their ancestors were terrestrial chelonians that became semi-aquatic and ultimately, as they became still more aquatic, their legs evolved into flippers and they gained the ability to eject excess salt. They moved comfortably into their new niche and the pelagic life.

And now, we have the first of our yet-to-be-found transitional species: the land chelonians that went to sea. These, like all transitional forms, will show a series of changes much as did the cetaceans. Some of this can be observed in a few modern, fresh water species such as the Pig Nosed Turtle (Carettochelys insculpta)

But there are older, more important, and far more difficult species to track down: the one(s) that would ultimately become the chelonians.

The oldest fossil of a turtle, Proganochelys , dates back some 210 million years and was a far different animal than those of today. It could not retract it's spike-protected neck into it's shell and had a stout, knobbly tail.

But still, it was a turtle and had no teeth to go with the tail, so we must look back a lot farther for our possible transitionals. But how does one identify a lizard of sorts that might have been an ancestor of an entirely different creature? Especially as no intermediate fossils have been discovered.

Among other studies, by the examination of fossil skulls.

http://www.ucmp.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2006 :  12:38:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
What a wonderful contribution you have shared with us, Filthy! Thank you for helping me, in a small way, to join in this evolving mystery of turtle origins. I very much appreciate the fact that you are always trying to share your wonderment of nature and history, even down to the detail of your post "signatures," many of which I have researched via the included links.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2006 :  03:08:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Thanks 'mooner. It was fun to do and at least now the thread is back on topic.

I've been hoping that others would do one rather than just putting up bitchy responses. This still has the potential to be a very interesting thread.

Re: the signature; the world has been blessed with so many abominable people that I will either die or get bored with it long before I run out of material.

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 04/18/2006 03:15:43
Go to Top of Page

Bill scott
SFN Addict

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2006 :  08:03:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bill scott a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

Sorry Bill, but it certainly was not fully a bird.

The claim has ben made many times and it is a reflection of creationist tunnel vision that they are still blathering about it.
quote:
Claim CC214.1.1:
Archaeopteryx was fully bird. It had fully formed wings and feathers.
Source:
Watchtower Bible and Tract Society, 1985. Life--How Did It Get Here? Brooklyn, NY, pp. 79-80.
Morris, Henry M., 1974. Scientific Creationism, Green Forest, AR: Master Books, p. 85.
Response:
Archaeopteryx is defined to be a bird (technically, an avialan). However, it had many more dinosaurian traits than bird traits. Its main bird traits are
long external nostrils.
quadrate and quadratojugal (two jaw bones) not sutured together.
palatine bones that have three extensions.
all teeth lacking serrations.
large lateral furrows in top rear body of the vertebrae.

Other birdlike traits of Archaeopteryx are found also on several non-avian dinosaurs. These traits include feathers, a furcula (wishbone) fused at the midline, and a pubis elongate and directed backward. The birdlike hallux (toe) attributed to Archaeopteryx may be an error due to poor preservation (Middleton 2002).

Dinosaurian traits include the following:
no bill
teeth on premaxilla and maxilla bones
nasal opening far forward, separated from the eye by a large preorbital fenestra (hole)
neck attached to skull from the rear
center of cervical vertebrae that have simple concave articular facets
long bony tail; no pygostyle
ribs slender, without joints or uncinate processes, and not articulated with the sternum
sacrum that occupies six vertebrae
small thoracic girdle
metacarpals free (except third metacarpal), wrist hand joint flexible
claws on three unfused digits
pelvic girdle and femur joint shaped like those of archosaurs in many details
bones of pelvis unfused
and over 100 other differences from birds (Chiappe 2002; Norell and Clarke 2001).

In addition, Archaeopteryx was intermediate between dinosaurs and modern birds in the shape of the coracoid and humerus bones and the brain (Elzanowski 2002; Nedin 1999).

Now then, when are we going to learn and starting using the url code?I for one, am getting tired of fifteen foot links fucking up the format and making the page a pain in the ass to read.

Here it is again: All you've got to do is paste the address between the quotation marks and the bit of text you want to be the link between the center parenthesis, thus:

[url='whatever_ the_link_is']Whaddafuck?[/url].

This will give you Whaddafuck in blue and clickable. I have modified the quotation marks so that the example wouldn't work. Turn the apostrophies back into a quotation marks, and you will get this:

Whaddafuck?

Which will give you an error, but go ahead and click the fucker anyway.

If an ignorant redneck like me can learn it, anybody can.

quote:
Sorry Bill, but it certainly was not fully a bird. The claim has ben made many times and it is a reflection of creationist tunnel vision that they are still blathering about it.

(bill) This dude is no creationist and even he can fully admit that

"Lets get one thing clear, Bill. Science does make some assumptions." -perrodetokio-

"In the end as skeptics we must realize that there is no real knowledge, there is only what is most reasonable to believe." -Coelacanth-

The fact that humans do science is what causes errors in science. -Dave W.-

Go to Top of Page

Bill scott
SFN Addict

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2006 :  08:08:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bill scott a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by marfknox

Bill, you fail to understand many thing regarding the bird-dinosaur connection. First of all, you keep saying that supposedly it was already established so why would we need a "transitional fossil", but you never explain how it has been established. The theory that birds evolved from a specific group of dinosaurs called theropods has been established by other comparisons. Read all about it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theropod
quote:
Among the features linking theropods to birds are the three-toed foot, a wishbone, air-filled bones, and (in some cases) feathers and brooding of the eggs.
Also, you say Archaeopteryx was a bird, but it has been called a protobird or primitive bird because of pronounced similarities to dinosaurs: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archaeopteryx
quote:
Archaeopteryx was similar in size and shape to a magpie, with short, broad wings and a long tail. The feathers resemble those of living birds, but Archaeopteryx was rather different from any bird we know of today: it had jaws lined with sharp teeth, three fingers ending in curving claws, and a long bony tail.
The matter over bird evolution from dinosaurs is rather complicated and all the pieces aren't there, but there is certainly enough of the puzzel put together at this point to see that there is a connection. By the way, of all the science you posted about archaeopteryx, did it ever occur to you that you are using science. That in fact, the only way we can prove anything about the nature of the natural world is through science? Only science disproves bad science. Only scientific testing gives more evidence for or against a theory. Your religious ideas are not based on science. They are based on Biblical assumptions. And whenever science doesn't produce the results you want, you throw it out. And whenever science hasn't gotten around to completely proving without a shadow of a doubt something that doesn't mesh with your narrow-minded theology, you point at any gaps in knowledge as evidence of your claims. You could be worse, I suppose. You could be religiously defiant even in the face of evidence that proves without a shadow of a doubt - such as flat earthers. So yours is simply a milder form of denial.

Seriously, Bill, what the hell do these scientists as a whole have as their motivation to be lying to themselves and everyone else? Many of them are Christian and other religions. How can there possibily be this worldwide, 150-year-old conspiracy of willful ignorance in the face of plain evidence to the contrary among people whose careers are devoted to discovering the truth about the natural world?

quote:
The matter over bird evolution from dinosaurs is rather complicated and all the pieces aren't there, but there is certainly enough of the puzzel put together at this point to see that there is a connection.

(bill) That is your arbitray opinion. Many, including evolutionists, come to a very different conclusion, looking at the same evidence.

quote:
By the way, of all the science you posted about archaeopteryx, did it ever occur to you that you are using science.

(bill) Yes, of course it did. Why would it not?

quote:
That in fact, the only way we can prove anything about the nature of the natural world is through science? Only science disproves bad science. Only scientific testing gives more evidence for or against a theory.

(bill) Your blind indoctranation that any naturalist, agnostic, atheistic etc... thinker holds exclusivity to "science", by default, is absurd.

quote:
Your religious ideas are not based on science.

(bill) Your naturalistic philospy is surrly not based on science, I can tell you that.

quote:
They are based on Biblical assumptions.

(bill) Yours come straight from naturalistic philosopical assumptions.

quote:
And whenever science doesn't produce the results you want, you throw it out. And whenever science hasn't gotten around to completely proving without a shadow of a doubt something that doesn't mesh with your narrow-minded theology,

(bill) And yet you cling to gradualism in spite of a complete lack of evidence in this hypothetical theory...

quote:
you point at any gaps in knowledge as evidence of your claims.

(bill) Right, I point out the lack of evidence in the fossil record to the gradualism crowd. I can understand why you do not like this.

quote:
You could be worse, I suppose. You could be religiously defiant even in the face of evidence that proves without a shadow of a doubt - such as flat earthers. So yours is simply a milder form of denial.

(bill) I was just happy that nobody posted Nebraska man...

quote:
Seriously, Bill, what the hell do these scientists as a whole have as their motivation to be lying to themselves

(bill) To deny their creator.

quote:
and everyone else?

(bill) So they can they can indoctranate with their "science." (really a philosophy)

quote:
Many of them are Christian and other religions. How can there possibily be this worldwide, 150-year-old conspiracy of willful ignorance in the face of plain evide

"Lets get one thing clear, Bill. Science does make some assumptions." -perrodetokio-

"In the end as skeptics we must realize that there is no real knowledge, there is only what is most reasonable to believe." -Coelacanth-

Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2006 :  08:30:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
Liar.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

Bill scott
SFN Addict

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2006 :  08:45:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bill scott a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by pleco

Liar.

quote:
Liar.

Who marf? I may call her misguided but that is a far cry from calling her a liar...

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2006 :  09:07:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Sorry Bill, but it certainly was not fully a bird. The claim has ben made many times and it is a reflection of creationist tunnel vision that they are still blathering about it.

quote:
(bill) This dude is no creationist and even he can fully admit that the critter is a bird.

Dr. Alan Feduccia, professor and former head of biology at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, and the author of the encyclopedic The Origin and Evolution of Birds (1999).

Paleontologists have tried to turn Archaeopteryx into an earth-bound, feathered dinosaur. But it's not. It is a bird, a perching bird. And no amount of ‘paleobabble' is going to change that."

Archaeopteryx: Early Bird Catches a Can of Worms by V. Morell, Science 259(5096):764–65, 5 February 1993.

And:

"Archaeopteryx probably cannot tell us much about the early origins of feathers and flight in true protobirds because Archaeopteryx was, in a modern sense, a bird."

Science 259:790-793 (1993).

http://www.trueauthority.com/cvse/archaeopteryx.htm

A bird with teeth and a reptilian tail? How very interesting! And what does the gentleman have to say about Microraptor and all of the other, feathered fossils, hmmm?
quote:
One of the most outspoken critics of dinosaur to bird evolution is Dr. Alan Feduccia, professor and former head of biology at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, and the author of the encyclopedic The Origin and Evolution of Birds (1999).

Feduccia is a sincere evolutionist, and believes that the common ancestor of both ancient and modern bird orders was a small, ground-dwelling reptile that took to the trees for hiding, sleeping, or nesting. When it comes to Archae, however, he believes it was just one of nature's experiments. One of his most well-known quotes (and perhaps the most despised among many evolutionists) was that made in February of 1993.

This argument and others similar have been going on for a long time. Simply scientists disagreeing, and that is what makes science great. When a consensus is finally reached, it is most likely correct.

Microraptor gui
quote:
Microraptor, the most primitive dromaeosaur, is also the most birdlike; specimens have been found with undisputed feathers on their wings, legs, and tail (Hwang et al. 2002; Xu et al. 2003). Sinornithosaurus also was covered with a variety of feathers and had a skull more birdlike than later dromaeosaurs (Xu, Wang, and Wu 1999; Xu and Wu 2001; Xu et al. 2001).

The link will show a few more.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 15 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.83 seconds.