Atheist Manifesto
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2006 :  08:45:08  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
Some web surfing led me to this feature, titled "An Atheist Manifesto." I haven't read it yet, but thought I'd pass it on for comment.

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2006 :  09:54:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
quote:
Atheism is not a philosophy; it is not even a view of the world; it is simply a refusal to deny the obvious.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2006 :  13:50:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Just how many pages of blog comments are there on that blog? If it was worth it (meaning if there are enough readers) perhaps I'll add a comment or two later. You're right about it being too long to read right now anyway.

The first comment I read, "Mr. Harris fails to show how faith is essentially irrational," will be a good place to start.
Edited by - beskeptigal on 04/15/2006 13:51:50
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2006 :  16:51:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
Christ, BSG-- I'm away for a few months and all of a sudden, you're past 2000 posts! I obviously have some catching up to do...
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2006 :  18:52:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Cuneiformist

Christ, BSG-- I'm away for a few months and all of a sudden, you're past 2000 posts! I obviously have some catching up to do...

Well, Cune... Who's to blame on that?

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Edited by - Dr. Mabuse on 04/15/2006 18:53:04
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2006 :  20:50:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

Geez, Mab, could you be any more blunt in hinting that we've gotten new "smileys" since Cune has been away?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2006 :  22:46:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
I'm getting ready to read Sam Harris's book The End of Faith this month for my Humanist book club, but I already fear I'll have some serious problems with it. I predict that I will appreciate the man's scholarship and some of the basic criticisms he makes of certain religious beliefs and religiously motivated actions. However, I also suspect that Harris is extremely angry, and that his anger will cause him to take things too far, and to develop a type of tunnel vision when it comes to monotheism.

Comment #7217 expresses my concerns better than I probably can:
quote:
I appreciate the idea of an atheist manifesto. More people—especially in the U.S.—have to know that reason is valued.

But what disheartens me—and that's putting it mildly—is that this is exactly where the irrational people want us. Only religious debate excites them. Witness their frenzied posting to any non-religious thread. They think they're thinking, but of course they arrive at the same place they started: a confirmation of what they need to believe.

So while we debate these superstitions, we are booged down. We end up almost inevitably talking about Jesus—whether he existed or not; what he would do . . . It is frustrating, because most people who aren't superstitious want to engage in more interesting things in life, and to get on with life. So much time and energy is wasted on negotiating the Big Fiction. And those of us who care about this earth—here and now—waste time. Witness me now, in the heartland, rushing off to my son's public school to make sure the phrase “Trusting in God” is taken out of the spring singing program. I have better things to do.

And I think Harris misses the boat about what motivates belief. I think any rise we see is the mark of a collective desperation about the fate of our planet. That catastrophe is unfolding and it is overwhelming. It seems like the end, which is too much to bear. A fervent fantasy of their continuation is the result.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2006 :  23:48:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Cuneiformist

I was so not paying attention I thought you were talking about someone else at first. I'm procrastinating on doing my taxes.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.