New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2006 :  05:06:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
Sorry my joke was a little too inside, I implied that asking questions was the devils work... like questioning the sun revolving around the Earth.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2006 :  05:17:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by H. Humbert
Ah, I see what he meant now. I guess it's sort of how you look at it then. The ball and the Earth would have the same rotational speed, but individual points on the outermost edges would be moving at radically different velocities...

Well, if you're talking about rotation, the only non-arbitrary measure is angular velocity. If you're talking about surface velocity, you have to take into account that it varies, and also that velocity has a directional component (it's a vector). The directional component is always changing (in any earth-bound frame of reference), so you might also have to explain accelleration if you go down this route. Methinks this could be getting a little messy to do for a 4 year old. I like the time lapse pic idea.

quote:
Originally posted by Ricky
Teaching her the right way to think is much more important than teacher her the right things to think.

I couldn't agree more Ricky. My daughter's only just turned two, but has started talking about the sun going to "sleep". I made the mistake of agreeing once, and have been wondering about explaining to her that it's only "hiding", and not really asleep ever since. I may be getting a little ahead of the game, she just want the sun to "wake up" so she can go jump on her "tram-leen" again.

John's just this guy, you know.
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2006 :  06:30:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
Start with the basics of particle physics and work your way up to the sun.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

woolytoad
Skeptic Friend

313 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2006 :  07:32:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send woolytoad a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf

Start with the basics of particle physics and work your way up to the sun.

LOL. I have a cousin who is much younger than me. I have a degree in Physics, and an Uncle who is a professor of Physics.

So one day she asks us about how metal conducts. So we start simple. She doesn't like our answers so we slowly get more and more complicated. She wasn't impressed.
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2006 :  08:12:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:
So one day she asks us about how metal conducts. So we start simple. She doesn't like our answers so we slowly get more and more complicated. She wasn't impressed.

That's the one problem about physics. The simpiler the question gets, the more complex the answer becomes.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

trogdor
Skeptic Friend

198 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2006 :  13:10:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send trogdor a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf

Sorry my joke was a little too inside, I implied that asking questions was the devils work... like questioning the sun revolving around the Earth.

I'm in your sig? sweet!

all eyes were on Ford Prefect. some of them were on stalks.
-Douglas Adams
Go to Top of Page

Wendy
SFN Regular

USA
614 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2006 :  08:23:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Wendy a Yahoo! Message Send Wendy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

quote:
Originally posted by Wendy

Be ready to explain to her why she doesn't come down in a different place when she jumps.

Are you a denier of the Coriolis-effect? Of course she never comes down in the same place she started...

Not at all, Dr. Mabuse. I understand the child is moving with the Earth and continues to do so even while she is in the air. However, I have a house full of children who understandably think like children. In short, I've been asked that question a few times.

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do on a rainy afternoon.
-- Susan Ertz
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2006 :  15:23:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Maybe too hard for a concrete thinker (all 4 year olds) but you could at least bring up the subject of acceleration/deceleration as the reason we feel movement, not the actual movement itself. A elevator is a good place for a demonstration. Don't expect instant results but the seed will be planted.
Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2006 :  05:24:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message
As soon as I get some good ideas here, I go home and she did not ask me for the first time in a week. I asked her at bedtime about it and she said that "I beleive you daddy" and went on to something else. I think she lost interest. As it is with her, she will ask again in a month or two. I hope to have a better answer for her. Thanks for the ideas.

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. - George Washington
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.