Psych!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2006 :  20:42:14  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
A new series on USA:

quote:
Psych centers on Shawn Spencer, who possesses uncanny powers of observation honed by his police officer father, Henry, who drilled young Shawn to note even the smallest details of his surroundings.

When Shawn is accused of committing a crime that he actually solved for the police department (by calling in a tip), he convinces the cops that he's a psychic.

With the reluctant assistance of his best-friend Gus, Shawn starts solving cases for an ever-skeptical -- but grudgingly impressed -- police force.

Sounds like an interesting show, showing how even though some events seem paranormal, there is always something going on behind the scenes.

It premiers this summer.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov

dv82matt
SFN Regular

760 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2006 :  21:49:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dv82matt a Private Message
Very cool looking show Ricky. Thanks for the heads up.
Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2006 :  22:18:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ricky

A new series on USA:

quote:
Psych centers on Shawn Spencer, who possesses uncanny powers of observation honed by his police officer father, Henry, who drilled young Shawn to note even the smallest details of his surroundings.

When Shawn is accused of committing a crime that he actually solved for the police department (by calling in a tip), he convinces the cops that he's a psychic.

With the reluctant assistance of his best-friend Gus, Shawn starts solving cases for an ever-skeptical -- but grudgingly impressed -- police force.

Sounds like an interesting show, showing how even though some events seem paranormal, there is always something going on behind the scenes.

It premiers this summer.

Most cop shows annoy me. This one, however, could be good. Shall we all hold our breath together?

John's just this guy, you know.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2006 :  23:34:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Looks to be funny. I will take a look at it when it comes out.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2006 :  03:07:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Agree with John; don't like cop shows but this one might be a cut above most. Unfortunately, I don't have cable and so, will miss it.

The premise is pretty good, but I can see the possibility for it to get hokey a ways down the road. On the other hand, if it's worked just right, it could bring forth squeals of unbearable pain from the psy-quacks.

I like to hear quacks squeal. It reminds me of the autumn hog slaughterings of my youth -- happier days, happier days.....

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2006 :  03:53:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
Though being skeptical at first, I actually liked NUMBERS. The show was cancelled in Sweden though. It sounds like this one has potential as well.

Have anyone seen "Faceless"? (Starring Sean Bean)

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2006 :  04:36:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

Though being skeptical at first, I actually liked NUMBERS. The show was cancelled in Sweden though. It sounds like this one has potential as well.

Have anyone seen "Faceless"? (Starring Sean Bean)

I didn't mid "Numbers", although I only saw it occasionally.

I haven't seen "Faceless", but I've liked Sean Bean in everything I've seen him in thus far, does that count as a review by association?

As to the new one, I don't have cable either, not that it'd be shown on Australian cable anyway. We'll probably get it on free to air in a year or five.

John's just this guy, you know.
Go to Top of Page

Wendy
SFN Regular

USA
614 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2006 :  07:53:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Wendy a Yahoo! Message Send Wendy a Private Message
All that AND "Charlie" from the West Wing! I'll check it out. Hopefully it will make writing the check for my monthly cable payment slightly less painful.

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do on a rainy afternoon.
-- Susan Ertz
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2006 :  16:01:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by JohnOAS
I haven't seen "Faceless", but I've liked Sean Bean in everything I've seen him in thus far, does that count as a review by association?

Have you seen any of the "Sharpe" movies?

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2006 :  16:55:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Great plot premise, if I understood it right! So, I understand this guy simply has extraordinary powers of observation, deduction, and induction, but has to call himself a "psychic" so the cops can put his ability into a pigeonhole they recognize?

Sorry to digress, but here's a thought that occurred to me after reading this show's premise: On some rare occasions, people do come up with extraordinary and unaccountable insights and predictions that later prove correct. In 1982, I publicly predicted the Israeli invasion of Lebanon, on Stuart II BBS. I specifically stated that Israel would invade Lebanon very soon, and would hold a strip of territory in southern Lebanon for years afterward. Within less than 24 hours, the massive invasion happened. There'd been no public warnings, nor news leaks. Washington was said to have been surprised.

Now, I don't consider myself a psychic. I think I made that prediction by using a semi-unconscious political "Spidey-sense," having put myself in the mindset of Israeli leaders. But there wasn't very much consciously logical about the prediction I made. I'm convinced that the conscious part of our minds represents a fairly minor part of what's going on in our brains. There's a lot of important "background number-crunching" going on.

An honest person, having made such a prediction as I had, might consider himself to have psychic powers. I didn't, and don't. But I accept that some "psychics" do believe in their powers. Not all are liars, some are simply mistaken.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 05/01/2006 17:15:39
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2006 :  04:43:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
Nope your REALLY psychic, just like Randi.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2006 :  11:53:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

Though being skeptical at first, I actually liked NUMBERS. The show was cancelled in Sweden though....

The premise was OK but the show deteriorated into this absurd explain everything to the point of making the show some boring quasi-educational crap. It ruined the drama completely.
Go to Top of Page

sts60
Skeptic Friend

141 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2006 :  13:25:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sts60 a Private Message
Being a traditionalist, I've always favored Law & Order, which has had episodes in which a quack was prosecuted for giving someone Laetrile instead of useful medical treatment, and one in which a "psychic" was exposed doing hot reading. True, they've also had the odd repressed-memory episode, but L&O is still the only cop show ever to air an episode in which the stability of the proton was a significant plot element!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.