Still Fascinating
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2006 :  19:26:34  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
So I was just out walking the dog, and saw what I really did think was a plane coming towards my location, until I realized I couldn't see any blinking lights. It was really freakin' bright, though. And then it vanished from the skies in just a few seconds.

With the help of www.heavens-above.com (and thanks again to Mab for introducing me to that website), I was able to learn that in reality, I had just seen the International Space Station at a whopping -0.2 magnitude!

So, I got lucky. But I'd much rather watch the skies than watch the dog poop. I managed to see the Hubble Space Telescope pass over my house in the same way.

I told one of the guys at work about watching for satellites, and he didn't believe they could be seen. I told him about the above web site, and he finally went to it, looked up his own location, and wrote down the three brightest satellites listed. Then he and his wife went outside and sat waiting, and the guy told me the next day that his jaw dropped to the ground when he saw his first satellite.

And I've gotta say that I didn't at all appreciate Heavens-Above while I lived in a major population center. I could barely see the stars there, much less the (usually) dimmer satellites. Not that I live out in the sticks now, but I can look in two directions from my deck and actually see some major light pollution. In fact, the city of Fairfax destroys my ability to see the Little Dipper at this time of year. I see Polaris okay, but the rest is lost in a haze.

[Edited 'cause Hubble is a telescope, not a station, dammit.]

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2006 :  20:54:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Back in about 1960 in San Diego, I was looking west, using my Dad's old (made in 1900) 3-inch French refractor telescope to observe the moon set one early evening. The moon's visible face had just a sliver of limb lit, most of it was unlit by the sun, but softly lit by earthlight. I suddenly saw a dark, cigar-shaped object swiftly crossing the face of the moon from right (north) to left (south), trailing a bright streak. The length of the craft's body seemed to be half the apparent width of the moon, and its exhaust about the same length. There had been no launch announcement for any satellites. I later figured I'd just seen a military Thor rocket launched from Pt. Magoo, north of LA, probably bearing a spy satellite. I sketched the scene immediately after, so I'd remember it clearly.

I haven't see the ISS yet, and I envy your lucky sighting, Dave.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 05/06/2006 20:56:01
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2006 :  21:08:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Very cool, Half.

I may have gotten lucky, but listings of the positions of the ISS for any given time/date are widely available. That sort of data transparency is what made this image possible. APOD also (once) posted a photo of the ISS in silhouette against a much-fuller Moon, but I don't have time right now to track it down.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2006 :  07:39:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.
I may have gotten lucky, but listings of the positions of the ISS for any given time/date are widely available. That sort of data transparency is what made this image possible.

Now that is a really cool picture!

I hope you track down that APOD pic.

quote:
With the help of www.heavens-above.com (and thanks again to Mab for introducing me to that website
You are welcome, and the pleasure is mine.
I would recommend everyone to try to spy some Iridium Satellite Flares.
If you get the chance to see a -7 or -8 magnitude flare, take it, then post here and tell us how likely you think it is for UFO-buffs to take it for an extra-terrestrial spacecraft...

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2006 :  16:22:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

...I managed to see the Hubble Space Telescope pass over my house in the same way...

There's lots of interesting human made machinery as well as junk up there. Iridium flares are cool to spot too. I've seen two in the daytime, and several at night as predicted by heavens-above. Some are startlingly bright.

There's also an old Russian rocket stage that tumbles in orbit, if you're in the right spot on Earth, it's panels catch sunlight so that it appears to blink on and off as it goes over.

The freakiest things to see however are the Noss Triads. (Naval Observatory Spy Satellites.) They appear to orbit in a triad formation.

Diversity, independence, innovation and imagination are progressive concepts ultimately alien to the conservative mind.

"TAX AND SPEND" IS GOOD! (TAX: Wealthy corporations who won't go poor even after taxes. SPEND: On public works programs, education, the environment, improvements.)
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2006 :  16:39:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
quote:
The freakiest things to see however are the Noss Triads. (Naval Observatory Spy Satellites.) They appear to orbit in a triad formation.

That's what They want you to believe. The Truth is Out There.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2006 :  18:26:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by plecoThat's what They want you to believe. The Truth is Out There.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2006 :  20:45:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
So I just saw something pass over which seemed to be a satellite, but Heavens-Above didn't show anything close to its track (piercing the Big Dipper from South to North) anywhere close to the time I saw it.

But, on the plus side, I did discover a nifty trick. You can get more info out of the Web site than they tell you about. If you get, for example, the daily predictions for every of magnitude 4.5 or brighter, you'll get to a URL ending in "&Mag=4.5" If you edit the URL to read "&Mag=5.0" and click the "go" button, it'll actually show lots more (dimmer) stuff. Tonight, at my location, it nearly doubled the size of the list with tons of magnitude 4.7 and 4.9 objects, with a couple of 5.0s thrown in.

Still no luck in finding the object I saw go by, though. And 5.0 seems to be the real limit. Setting it to 6.5 (for example) only gave me 5.0 or brighter. So the creators know people will tinker with the URLs by hand, and correct "out of bounds" numbers. They just don't correct them to match the available settings on the main location page.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.