Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

ergo123
BANNED

USA
810 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2006 :  19:13:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ergo123 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Neurosis

quote:
Originally posted by ergo123

quote:
Originally posted by H. Humbert

quote:
Sure, a lot of things work out the way you want when you make up the definitions of the words you use...

Ahaha! He gives you the dictionary link and you still accuse him of making things up. Or were you finally admitting fault?

Yeah, I didn't think so.

Did you try the link? It's not to his definition.

It is my definition. I will admit that I added the "in the face of contrary evidence" but that part has yet to come into play anyway. I said that only to cover religious faith which you are talking about. Even you must admit that faith in the Adam and Eve story is to overlook all of our geological and zoological and anthrolological evidence.

Regardless, the definition is accurate in the two cases brought up. And BTW people use words with an implied definition. I was only clarifying what I consider faith for the benefit of this discussion. Can you show my definition to be wrong? Oh, that's right you don't rely on logic or provide evidence for the claims you make.

That makes it not your definition... unless you have redefined the word "my!"

No witty quotes. I think for myself.
Go to Top of Page

Neurosis
SFN Regular

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2006 :  21:03:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Neurosis an AOL message Send Neurosis a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Neurosis

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by H. Humbert

quote:
Sure, a lot of things work out the way you want when you make up the definitions of the words you use...

Ahaha! He gives you the dictionary link and you still accuse him of making things up. Or were you finally admitting fault?

Yeah, I didn't think so.

Did you try the link? It's not to his definition.

It is my definition. I will admit that I added the "in the face of contrary evidence" but that part has yet to come into play anyway. I said that only to cover religious faith which you are talking about. Even you must admit that faith in the Adam and Eve story is to overlook all of our geological and zoological and anthrolological evidence.

Regardless, the definition is accurate in the two cases brought up. And BTW people use words with an implied definition. I was only clarifying what I consider faith for the benefit of this discussion. Can you show my definition to be wrong? Oh, that's right you don't rely on logic or provide evidence for the claims you make.

That makes it not your definition... unless you have redefined the word "my!"

I did not say I wrote the definition, you said that I did. I said that the definition I am using is the one I provided (coupled with defintion 4) I take your silence to mean that you do not have any criticism of me using that definition of faith. Also, you have not refuted my points and have not provided any reasoning for your assertions.

Bottom line faith has the word believe built in. Therefore, non-belief takes no faith. Also, few people will assert that they disbelieve in something that cannot be proven false. Those who do rarely mean it in an absolute way.

An atheist is just an a-theist. The "a" prefix should be taken as being used in this sense:

http://www.medterms.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=39917

Where it would mean without or lacking. Therefore, an atheist is one who simply lacks the characteristics of a theist. That is not to say they must disbelieve in God(s). If we were to use the prefix in consideration of anoxia (without Oxygen) there can be any other gases present. It does not mean that CO2 must be present (but in the body surely it is). Likewise, disbelief does not have to be present in one who simply does not believe.

Facts! Pssh, you can prove anything even remotely true with facts.
- Homer Simpson

[God] is an infinite nothing from nowhere with less power over our universe than the secretary of agriculture.
- Prof. Frink

Lisa: Yes, but wouldn't you rather know the truth than to delude yourself for happiness?
Marge: Well... um.... [goes outside to jump on tampoline with Homer.]
Go to Top of Page

ergo123
BANNED

USA
810 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2006 :  21:19:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ergo123 a Private Message
Take my silence to mean "I'm doing something else."

YOu are the one who admitted to adding to the definition you cite. And in your original post, you say you are using definition 2; now it is coupled with definition 4.

Tell you what. You go back and check your work and come back tomorrow and we can just pretend your screw-up on the definition never happened today.

And what's with the discussion of an atheist. I said "It takes as much faith to assume there is no god as it does to assume there is one." If you want to pick at what I said, have at it. But stop with all the other crap you bring it. It's a waste of cyberspace.

No witty quotes. I think for myself.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2006 :  11:50:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
Guys, you're wandering off of the discussion about the fence sitting article.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Neurosis
SFN Regular

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2006 :  12:46:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Neurosis an AOL message Send Neurosis a Private Message
quote:

Take my silence to mean "I'm doing something else."

YOu are the one who admitted to adding to the definition you cite. And in your original post, you say you are using definition 2; now it is coupled with definition 4.

Tell you what. You go back and check your work and come back tomorrow and we can just pretend your screw-up on the definition never happened today.

And what's with the discussion of an atheist. I said "It takes as much faith to assume there is no god as it does to assume there is one." If you want to pick at what I said, have at it. But stop with all the other crap you bring it. It's a waste of cyberspace.

Yes, I did admit using two seperate definitions in two seperate contexts. Then I even took time out to address the mistake. Some people can admit their mistakes.

Dr. Mabuse is right we are straying.

Facts! Pssh, you can prove anything even remotely true with facts.
- Homer Simpson

[God] is an infinite nothing from nowhere with less power over our universe than the secretary of agriculture.
- Prof. Frink

Lisa: Yes, but wouldn't you rather know the truth than to delude yourself for happiness?
Marge: Well... um.... [goes outside to jump on tampoline with Homer.]
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.27 seconds.