Seminar on Age of Earth?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2006 :  05:00:22  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
I saw this over at AMERICABlog. It's dated to February of '06, so perhaps the news hype came and went, and I just missed it. But perhaps it was just under the radar the whole time. Has anyone had heard anything about it? If so, is there a link somewhere? Here's the story:
quote:
Russell Humphreys to speak, Monday, February 13, 2006.

Title: Evidence for a Young World

Abstract:

Few people are aware that most of the relevant scientific data are in favor of a young world. I've been studying such data for 36 years. Of the several hundred natural processes that have some bearing on the age issue, I estimate (very roughly) that only about 10% favor billion-year ages. The other 90% — little publicized and therefore unknown to most scientists — favor much smaller ages, ages that could be as small as the face-value Biblical age of 6,000 years.

This seminar is a brief sketch of the evidence, giving a dozen samples of the “90%” type of data, including: galaxy rotation, supernova remnants, decay of comets, seafloor sediments, sodium in the sea, geomagnetic energy decay, “mitochondrial Eve,” Neanderthal DNA, T-Rex blood cells, stone age graves, and the shortness of history.

I will also give several samples of exciting new evidence that addresses the “10%” type of data: the existence of carbon 14 in all fossils (and even in diamonds), and a helium diffusion age of only 6,000 years for Precambrian zircons. These and other new lines of evidence would drastically compress the billion-year ages of such dating methods as potassium/argon and uranium/lead. I and other creationist scientists have reported these data at the annual meeting of the American Geophysical Union in San Francisco in December 2003. I hope to discuss these new data in more detail at a later seminar.

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2006 :  05:14:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
quote:
I and other creationist scientists have reported these data at the annual meeting of the American Geophysical Union in San Francisco in December 2003.

If it were so compelling you'd think everyone would have heard about it - despite the atheist conspiracy.

For some reason, I think this "evidence" for a young earth is not goin to change anyone's mind.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2006 :  06:13:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by pleco

quote:
I and other creationist scientists have reported these data at the annual meeting of the American Geophysical Union in San Francisco in December 2003.

If it were so compelling you'd think everyone would have heard about it - despite the atheist conspiracy.

For some reason, I think this "evidence" for a young earth is not goin to change anyone's mind.

No, I didn't expect that. But this guy apparently works for some government lab or other, and I found it odd that on the one hand he's (presumably) doing serious scientific work while on the other he's going on about the giant conspiracy against creationism!
Edited by - Cuneiformist on 05/12/2006 06:14:01
Go to Top of Page

TG
Skeptic Friend

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2006 :  09:27:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send TG a Private Message
Nothing new. He's been around for a while ... http://www.nmsr.org/humphrey.htm
Go to Top of Page

leoofno
Skeptic Friend

USA
346 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2006 :  11:38:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send leoofno a Private Message

I never get a chance to go to creationist talks. Maybe I could start a Christian Network at work and get them to come HERE. Now that would be sweet. Gonna have to think about that.....

"If you're not terrified, you're not paying attention." Eric Alterman
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.