Post/Thread of the Month, May 2006
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2006 :  19:55:13  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
I'd like to issue the SFN's regular call for nominations for both "Post of the Month" and "Thread of the Month," for May. We'll collect the nominations here in this thread, and then the staff will make the final choices, and publish links to the selected post and thread in the first Skeptic Summary following the beginning of the next month, and I'll edit the selected items to reflect their status.

Please keep in mind the SFN's mission statement when nominating posts and threads:
The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.
The reason I'm starting this thread now is that I'd like you to go ahead and post nominations while things are fresh in your head, instead of trying to remember stuff after the month in question is over. Feel free to nominate more than one post and/or thread, or even to "de-nominate" your own previous nominations if you feel that a better post or thread comes along later in the month.

Please do not nominate your own posts, or even threads you've started. And let's definitely refrain from arguing about nominations (or the results). Also, while I've got high hopes for this effort, I feel I must say that the staff reserves the right to disqualify, modify or otherwise ignore any and all nominations for "Post of the Month" and "Thread of the Month," and we also reserve the right to change, modify or otherwise ignore any rule or guideline, whether they be express, implied or completely unstated.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2006 :  20:30:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
The good Doctor stated:
quote:
Also, while I've got high hopes for this effort, I feel I must say that the staff reserves the right to disqualify, modify or otherwise ignore any and all nominations for "Post of the Month" and "Thread of the Month," and we also reserve the right to change, modify or otherwise ignore any rule or guideline, whether they be express, implied or completely unstated.
So, the rule is, you are bound by no rules?

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2006 :  00:28:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
This one by Dave W. There is something about verlch that can make one wax eloquent.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Wendy
SFN Regular

USA
614 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2006 :  06:50:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Wendy a Yahoo! Message Send Wendy a Private Message
I'd like to nominate this one by filthy. Well done, as always.

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do on a rainy afternoon.
-- Susan Ertz
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2006 :  09:40:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner

The good Doctor stated:
quote:
Also, while I've got high hopes for this effort, I feel I must say that the staff reserves the right to disqualify, modify or otherwise ignore any and all nominations for "Post of the Month" and "Thread of the Month," and we also reserve the right to change, modify or otherwise ignore any rule or guideline, whether they be express, implied or completely unstated.
So, the rule is, you are bound by no rules?

It's the standard disclaimer that makes us able to do whatever we pleases. Feels kind of good, because then noone can blame us for breaking our own promises and rules, should we act against someone not playing nice.
I'm just a humble moderator, and the post was blatantly copied and pasted from one of Dave_W's earlier posts.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2006 :  09:42:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message

Remember, we take nomimations for both posts and threads.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

GeeMack
SFN Regular

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2006 :  11:14:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GeeMack a Private Message
For May's "Post of the Month" I would like to nominate this post, in the thread, Which came first?: Answer at last! (the Chicken or the Egg), by the user Zebra. And give it an Honorable Mention for best first post by a new user, too.
Go to Top of Page

GeeMack
SFN Regular

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2006 :  11:50:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GeeMack a Private Message
For "Thread of the Month" for May I would like to nominate Fundamentalists HATE Noah's Ark!, started by filthy (with an excellent OP by the way, a PotM nominee). Several members have provided very informative, well written contributions. A couple of our resident religious zealots kept the thread lively with their fairly standard claims of, "My belief in magic trumps your history, facts, and science." Given the length of the thread (8 pages and over 110 posts), and despite some small effort on the part of the aforementioned superstitious woowoos to derail it, it has stayed amazingly true to the topic of the OP.
Go to Top of Page

Ghost_Skeptic
SFN Regular

Canada
510 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2006 :  23:59:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ghost_Skeptic a Private Message
I nominate Filthy's Noah's Ark thread. I had always known the story was ludicrous, but I had always wondered how ridiculous it was. As the thread developed fresh absurdities appeared.

Filthy even pointed out that this story would have made sense to the Jews since they were desert nomads who had no clue about ship building and knew of only a few species of animals.

The absurdity of the God Did It argument became more an more obvious as the thread went on. (Apparently God does things in round about ways that make good campfire tales for nomadic herders) This thread was the first time I have seen Bill effectively shut down.

"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. / You can send a kid to college but you can't make him think." - B.B. King

History is made by stupid people - The Arrogant Worms

"The greater the ignorance the greater the dogmatism." - William Osler

"Religion is the natural home of the psychopath" - Pat Condell

"The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter" - Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.