More Robertson-God Predictions
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2006 :  08:11:15  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
Is Pat Robertson anything more now than a freakish side show? Now, he predicts that-- get this-- the US will have lots of storms this year:
quote:
VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. -- The Rev. Pat Robertson says God has told him that storms and possibly a tsunami will hit America's coastline this year.

The founder of the Christian Broadcasting Network has told viewers of "The 700 Club" that the revelations came to him during his annual personal prayer retreat in January.

"If I heard the Lord right about 2006, the coasts of America will be lashed by storms," Robertson said May 8.

Wow. How bold.

Of course, at one point he does get crazy: "There well may be something as bad as a tsunami in the Pacific Northwest."

So if there is no tsunami, does that mean that he no longer hears Yahweh correctly? If so, that sucks. It's got to be a real let-down to not even be able to hear imaginary beings correctly anymore!

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2006 :  08:21:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Cuneiformist

Is Pat Robertson anything more now than a freakish side show? Now, he predicts that-- get this-- the US will have lots of storms this year:
quote:
VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. -- The Rev. Pat Robertson says God has told him that storms and possibly a tsunami will hit America's coastline this year.

The founder of the Christian Broadcasting Network has told viewers of "The 700 Club" that the revelations came to him during his annual personal prayer retreat in January.

"If I heard the Lord right about 2006, the coasts of America will be lashed by storms," Robertson said May 8.

Wow. How bold.

Of course, at one point he does get crazy: "There well may be something as bad as a tsunami in the Pacific Northwest."

So if there is no tsunami, does that mean that he no longer hears Yahweh correctly? If so, that sucks. It's got to be a real let-down to not even be able to hear imaginary beings correctly anymore!

Note he doesn't say how high the tsunami will be. A slight increase in breaker strength can be attributed to tsunami activity.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2006 :  08:46:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
Funny, I thought real scientists had already made the storm preditions.

Punk-ass bitch.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2006 :  09:20:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by pleco

Funny, I thought real scientists had already made the storm preditions.

Punk-ass bitch.

Agreed. It might have been impressive if he had identified date, time, and location, hell shouldn't god already know this. But, since he didn't, he is just predicting that a huricane might make it to the coast of the US.

Way to go out on that limb Pat.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2006 :  12:02:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
moakley wrote:
quote:
... It might have been impressive if he had identified date, time, and location, hell shouldn't god already know this. But, since he didn't, he is just predicting that a huricane might make it to the coast of the US.

No kidding. Anyone know of a single year when no hurricane force storm struck the US coast? I'm not saying there were no such years, but I can't think of any. What's Robertson trying to be, the fundies' Sylvia Browne?

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

GeeMack
SFN Regular

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2006 :  12:45:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GeeMack a Private Message
So Pat Roberston says, "If I heard the Lord right about 2006, [...]" Did he say, "if?" This is another glaring example (much like the entire Christian Bible) where the terrorist bogeyman of the faithful has the ability to do all things except communicate in a clear, unambiguous manner. The object of their idolatry is obviously unable, or unwilling, to make itself understood, even by those who profess the sincerest belief. Any sane, clear thinking person would chuck the whole concept of an all powerful supernatural being, at least until that bogeyman becomes capable of intelligible communication.
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2006 :  13:19:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner

moakley wrote:
quote:
... It might have been impressive if he had identified date, time, and location, hell shouldn't god already know this. But, since he didn't, he is just predicting that a huricane might make it to the coast of the US.

No kidding. Anyone know of a single year when no hurricane force storm struck the US coast? I'm not saying there were no such years, but I can't think of any. What's Robertson trying to be, the fundies' Sylvia Browne?

Only 2 years going all the way back to 1870.

1907 and 1914 had no Hurricane force storms in the atlantic.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2006 :  18:43:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Hey, Val: does whatever source you've got on historical hurricane data confirm the thing I heard 15 years ago, that the only month of the year in which no hurricanes have ever been recorded to hit the U.S.A is February?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2006 :  00:56:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
Deu 13:1 If a prophet, or one who foretells by dreams, appears among you and announces to you a miraculous sign or wonder,
Deu 13:2 and if the sign or wonder of which he has spoken takes place, and he says, "Let us follow other gods" (gods you have not known) "and let us worship them,"
Deu 13:3 you must not listen to the words of that prophet or dreamer. The LORD your God is testing you to find out whether you love him with all your heart and with all your soul.
Deu 13:4 It is the LORD your God you must follow, and him you must revere. Keep his commands and obey him; serve him and hold fast to him.
Deu 13:5 That prophet or dreamer must be put to death, because he preached rebellion against the LORD your God, who brought you out of Egypt and redeemed you from the land of slavery; he has tried to turn you from the way the LORD your God commanded you to follow. You must purge the evil from among you.

Jer 14:14 Then the LORD said unto me, The prophets prophesy lies in my name: I sent them not, neither have I commanded them, neither spake unto them: they prophesy unto you a false vision and divination, and a thing of nought, and the deceit of their heart.
Jer 14:15 Therefore thus saith the LORD concerning the prophets that prophesy in my name, and I sent them not, yet they say, Sword and famine shall not be in this land; By sword and famine shall those prophets be consumed.
Jer 14:16 And the people to whom they prophesy shall be cast out in the streets of Jerusalem because of the famine and the sword; and they shall have none to bury them, them, their wives, nor their sons, nor their daughters: for I will pour their wickedness upon them.

"Any religion that makes a form of torture into an icon that they worship seems to me a pretty sick sort of religion quite honestly"
-- Terry Jones
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2006 :  02:13:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Robertson has a history making stupid statements, and they've served him well with the audience he tries to reach. That audience is not thee and me, but people who would also make stupid statements of the sort if they were articulate enough. That's where the money is and he couldn't care less what the 'non-believers' think.

It has been predicted by meteorologists, who actually have a pretty decent track record at it, that this will be a busy season for tropical storms. It will be interesting to see if he 'prays' another one away from Virginia Beach.

Here's the kicker: If the storm actually misses Virginia Beach, he can claim the ear of God, and awed parishioners will give him cash. If the storm hits, he can claim that all of the communists, atheists, queers, liberals, and Hugo Chavez were just too trying on God's patience and he regretfully had to hurricane the living shit out of them, and it's just a real pity that so many of the faithful got the Heavenly Version of a blow-job as well. Same deal with the tsunami blither -- either way, he can't miss.

That's the wonderful thing about the supernatural. You can make it do anything you want....

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2006 :  05:04:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

Hey, Val: does whatever source you've got on historical hurricane data confirm the thing I heard 15 years ago, that the only month of the year in which no hurricanes have ever been recorded to hit the U.S.A is February?

I didn't look, but that sounds about right. My source is NOAA.

Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2006 :  06:55:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
There have been more than a few tsunamis hit the US west coast. Nothing, of course, like the horrible one that killed 100k people a while back.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2006 :  08:23:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dude

There have been more than a few tsunamis hit the US west coast. Nothing, of course, like the horrible one that killed 100k people a while back.

There was a show on the science channel about tsunamis. As it turns out the Pacific North West is likely candidate for a large one in the same way California is due for an earthquake along the San Andreas fault. It's truly remarkable how Robertson and psychics are able to make predictions after scientists have made the predictions…

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2006 :  17:18:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
I would imagine the donations coming in to the PTL go up with these predictions or he wouldn't be making them.

As I channel surfed the other day I hit on two religious nuts on a couch discussing NDEs. They seemed to delight in describing the horrors of hell awaiting all those non-Jesus believers. There must be some psychological gain experienced by these people, not just believing they are destined for greatness, but that everyone who doesn't believe them is destined for pain and suffering.

I don't think psychologists have explored that human desire nearly as much as the commonness of it suggests they should. It's like revenge but not for a perceived wrong. Instead it's revenge for not believing what the guy who seeks that revenge believes.
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2006 :  17:21:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
I think everyone wants other people to believe the way they do; it validates their own beliefs. Any one who dares believe something else should have something "bad" happen, or should be considered "inferior", in order to further validate their own beliefs. And you are right, it is quite common, and not with the religious either. Sports, politics, entertainment, almost every facet where sides can be taken are affected...even skeptics.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.