New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2006 :  10:29:36  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
link

Now theres another excuse for an invasion. Sad day, I guess theyll just shoot the atheists.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini

Edited by - BigPapaSmurf on 05/19/2006 10:30:21

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2006 :  10:51:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf

link

Now theres another excuse for an invasion. Sad day, I guess theyll just shoot the atheists.

Now, that reminds me of something.... What the hell is it....? Wait, wait, it'll come to me...

Stupid, fundie idiots!

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2006 :  12:12:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Wup, wait a minute. Not so hasty. I just found a disagreeing article that for some reason won't link at Raw Story.
quote:
Iran report of Holocaust-style badges questioned
2006-05-19 12:01:29

The National Post is sending shockwaves across the country this morning with a report that Iran's Parliament has passed a law requiring mandatory Holocaust style badges to identify Jews and Christians.

But independent reporter Meir Javedanfar, an Israeli Middle East expert who was born and raised in Tehran, says the report is false.
"It's absolutely factually incorrect," he told The New 940 Montreal.
"Nowhere in the law is there any talk of Jews and Christians having to wear different colours. I've checked it with sources both inside Iran and outside."

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 05/20/2006 09:21:10
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2006 :  12:47:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
SHHHHH! (Whispers to Filthy) We're trying to start a war here, sheesh!

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2006 :  13:26:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
"Absolutely factually incorrect" Right, not different colours. I guess that means all badges would have the same (yellow?) colour.

This is alarming, but the skeptic in me says that not even religious fundies are that stupid. Islamic or not.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2006 :  13:38:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
On the other hand, my brother wrote me this:

Until a number of mullas (among them at least one woman) publically says it's OK to convert from Islaam, I will contimue to expect the worst from the leaders of Islaam... sorry

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2006 :  20:59:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf

link

Perhaps atheists should not be there or anywhere if they'd be afraid of getting shot.
It does no good to complain about the way a county chooses to run it's government because there's nothing one can do or should do.
Go to Top of Page

ktesibios
SFN Regular

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2006 :  21:45:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ktesibios a Private Message
I'm getting a "this story is no longer available" at the link in the OP. It's not common for a story on a commercial news site to disappear in less than 24 hours.

The headline to an English-language story on the same subject is still there, but the page itself is blank. I did find a French-language version which includes these paragraphs:

quote:
En Iran même, les journalistes occidentaux ont affirmé ne pas être au courant d'une telle loi adoptée par le parlement. Et même les politiciens du pays, incluant un député juif, ont nié la nouvelle du Post.
"Jamais le parlement n'a eu à étudier un tel projet de loi, a déclaré Morris Motamed, un député juif qui fait partie de la communauté de 25 000 membres en Iran. Ce genre de nouvelles, rapportées par les quotidiens étrangers, est insultant pour les minorités religieuses en Iran."
Selon un autre député iranien, le quotidien canadien a mal interprété un projet de loi devant le parlement qui veut resserrer la réglementation sur les vêtements que doivent porter les musulmans.

As near as I can make out that means that Western journalists in Iran have said that they knew of no such law being passed, and that local politicians, including a Jewish deputy, have denied the Post's story, with one saying that the Post has misinterpreted a bill before Parliament which aims at tightening the country's dress code for Muslims.

This a dilemma. I have plenty of regard for the ability of fundie loons, as found in Iran, to do things that are batshit insane. I also know that our very own Dear Leader lied like a rug to get his war in Iraq, and I place very little confidence in the veracity of neocon asslickers like Harper, Howard and the owners of CanWest.

I think I'll wait and see if any sources of demonstrated sanity and integrity say anything illuminating about this before I draw any conclusions.

"The Republican agenda is to turn the United States into a third-world shithole." -P.Z.Myers
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2006 :  00:52:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
I put nothing beneath this administration, the Republican Party, and Religious fundamentalists of any stripe -- the Three Stooges writ large. All have an almost enviable track record of duplicity and outright criminality.

Could the article have been a plant, even though in a Canadian paper? Sure, why not? It could certainly arouse anti-Whatsisface feelings, perhaps making a strike against Iran more palatable to the public and give our alleged president a boost in the polls. That is the way they operate -- try and get their way by scaring the living shit out of everyone.

If true, I wonder if they'll get caught at it this time, and if it'll make any difference.

Edit: We don' need no steenkin' batches!

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 05/20/2006 03:38:43
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2006 :  09:18:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
It's bullshit.
quote:
Saturday, May 20, 2006

Another Fraud on Iran: No Legislation on Dress of Religious Minorities

Maurice Motamed, the representative of the Iranian Jewish community in Iran's parliament, has strongly denied the rumors started by Canada's National Post that the Iranian legislature has passed a law requiring members of religious communities to wear identifying badges.

The report was also denied on Montreal radio by Meir Javedanfar, Middle East Analyst and the Director for the Middle East Economic and Political Analysis Company.

The National Post was founded by Conrad Black and has been owned by CanWest since 2003,* is not a repository of expertise about Iran. It is typical of black psychological operations campaigns that they begin with a plant in an out of the way* newspaper that is then picked up by the mainstream press. Once the Jerusalem Post picks it up, then reporters can source it there, even though the Post has done no original reporting and has just depended on the National Post article, which is extremely vague in its own sourcing (to "human rights groups").

The actual legislation passed by the Iranian parliament regulates women's fashion, and urges the establishment of a national fashion house that would make Islamically appropriate clothing. There is a vogue for "Islamic chic" among many middle class Iranian women that involves, for instance, wearing expensive boots that cover the legs and so, it is argued, are permitted under Iranian law. The scruffy, puritanical Ahmadinejad and his backers among the hardliners in parliament are waging a new and probably doomed struggle against the young Iranian fashionistas. (The Khomeinists give the phrase "fashion police" a whole new meaning).

There is nothing in this legislation that prescribes a dress code or badges for Iranian religious minorities, and Maurice Motamed was present during its drafting and says nothing like that was even discussed.

The whole thing is a steaming crock.
So the question is begged: why did this sad little, nickle & dime fishwrap print the story in the first place? Slow news day? Such were the instructions? What?

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

ktesibios
SFN Regular

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2006 :  12:29:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ktesibios a Private Message
Update: the National Post has, in essence, retracted the story.

It seems that the claims of identifying badges for non-Muslims originated with Iranian expatriates who have an obvious political axe to grind. I had a hunch that it might turn out to be something like that; remember how our own Good Grey Times was a conduit for the claims of such paragons of veracity as the Iraqi exile Ahmed Chalabi, courtesy of Judy Miller?

If I remember correctly, ol' Machiavelli warned of the dangers of relying on the claims of exiles in The Prince. If, after five centuries, we still haven't got the lesson, it's about par for the human species' learning curve.

We live in a time when entirely too many people believe that a fact is any claim which conforms to their prejudices. The experience of the last decade or so ought to serve as a warning that even when a story is printed in a perfectly respectable-looking newspaper or disseminated by an ostensibly respectable wire service, we still need to consider what we know of the political affiliations of the source in evaluating the story's probable truth value.

We also need to remember that stories which tickle our own prejudices- the ones that we would like to be true- are exactly the stories that need the most careful scrutiny before we accept them.

edit to add P.S. for Filthy: that should be "We don' need no steenking badgers"

"The Republican agenda is to turn the United States into a third-world shithole." -P.Z.Myers
Edited by - ktesibios on 05/20/2006 12:34:07
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2006 :  13:23:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
quote:
It does no good to complain about the way a county chooses to run it's government because there's nothing one can do or should do.

That is exactly how Hitler was able to get away with so much for so long. And that statement is not true to begin with. Enough pressure, from within or without, can make a change. There are plenty of examples.

Isolationism is for cowards.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Edited by - pleco on 05/20/2006 13:24:05
Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2006 :  17:41:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ktesibios

edit to add P.S. for Filthy: that should be "We don' need no steenking badgers"

That has to be the most inane web site ever created. Sheesh, what a waste of 20 minutes!

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2006 :  17:43:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
One wonders how many mushrooms were eaten during the creation of that site. One of my all time favs though!

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2006 :  17:56:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by R.Wreck
That has to be the most inane web site ever created. Sheesh, what a waste of 20 minutes!

No lie, there is something hypnotic/addicting about that web page.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2006 :  21:17:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by R.Wreck

I really, really hope you didn't spend 20 minutes looking at Badgers, but instead went on to view the creator's site, with all the other wacky stuff there. I hadn't visited in over a year, but now this is my new favorite song (especially since it pays homage to one of my favorite movies).

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.