republishing of "Yes, We Murder Journalists"
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2006 :  19:18:41  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
I recently read the article “Yes, We Murder Journalists” in the latest issue of Humanist Magazine. It is a bit outdated as it was originally published in the Dec. 8th 2005 issue of ArtVoice. Here it is online: http://artvoice.com/issues/v4n49/yes_we_murder_journalists

The reason I bring it up now is because the topic is still relevant. I had read plenty before about how the US has kept journalists out of certain areas, how the US military has occasionally planted positive stories about the war in Iraqi newspapers, and harsh criticism from conservative politicians and pundits of any media that reports on the horrible aspects of the war. However, I hadn't yet heard about things this corrupt and severe, and I am surprised that the first I heard of it was now when apparently this news has been out for nearly a year. In particular:

quote:
At one point, whenever the TV crew would attempt to broadcast, U.S. jets would target their signal, even though it was unlike any of the rudimentary communication devices employed by the harried resistance fighters.

Al Jazeera critics wrote off the network's complaints as sensationalism. By the time the U.S. attacked Fallujah, however, there was already a growing body of damning evidence indicating that the Pentagon was in fact targeting the last remaining unembedded TV network with an effective on-the-ground operation in Iraq. U.S. forces, one year earlier, bombed Al Jazeera's Baghdad offices, killing reporter Tareq Ayoub, after the network naively gave their GPS coordinates to the Pentagon in order to prevent an accidental attack. A few days earlier, U.S. forces bombed a hotel in Basra that was used exclusively by Al Jazeera. American forces also seized several Al Jazeera reporters, imprisoning them in now infamous gulags including Abu Ghraib and Guantanamo, where they claim they were tortured. Two years earlier we bombed Al Jazeera's Afghanistan studios in Kabul.
and
quote:
Last month, Britain's Daily Mirror reported that George W. Bush, during the siege of Fallujah, approached British Prime Minister Tony Blair with a plan to silence Al Jazeera once and for all. Having failed to kill their crew on the ground in Fallujah, Bush supposedly wanted to put out a hit on the whole damned network, in effect going to war against Qatar, by bombing Al Jazeera's global headquarters in Doha, Qatar's capitol.
So have I just really been out of the loop or has this sort of thing just really been buried?

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Edited by - marfknox on 05/23/2006 19:19:48

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2006 :  00:46:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Amy Goodman on Democracy Now has been reporting on and documenting US deliberate attacks on journalists in Iraq for quite some time. The US mainstream news media has hardly said a word. Here are some links. You can search the site for many more going back to the beginning of the war.

Friday, February 3rd, 2006
Democracy Now! in Doha…"Why Did You Want to Bomb Me Mr. Bush and Mr. Blair?": Al Jazeera Director Demands More Information on Secret Memo

Thursday, February 2nd, 2006
Democracy Now! in Doha... How Arab TV Challenged the World: A Look at Al Jazeera's Origins

Tuesday, November 29th, 2005
Al Jazeera in the Crosshairs: Did Bush Really Want to Bomb the Arabic TV Network's Headquarters in 2004?

Wednesday, November 23rd, 2005
Al Jazeera London Bureau Chief Responds to Report of British Memo Alleging Bush Wanted to Bomb Network HQ in Doha

Thursday, October 13th, 2005
Top Al-Jazeera Reporter Yousri Fouda On the Media and His Interviews with Al Qaeda Leaders
quote:
Investigative reporter Yousri Fouda from Al-Jazeera, the Arabic satellite television station, talks about his interviews with the al Qaeda members behind 9/11 and the danger al-Jazeera correspondents risk in light of the U.S. bombings of networks stations, the killing of correspondents, and the jailing of al-Jazeera reporters. Fouda speaks about the international attitude towards the network as it grows. [includes rush transcript] Their offices were bombed twice in Afghanistan. Their Baghdad correspondent was killed In Iraq. One of their top correspondents was sentenced to seven years in prison after he was convicted of collaborating with al Qaeda. Their reporter was arrested en route to a summit in Crawford. Their New York correspondents were thrown off the floors of the New York Stock Exchange and NASDAQ. We're talking about al-Jazeera, the Arabic satellite television station based in Qatar.

And some related stories:

Thursday, October 20th, 2005
Killing the Witness: Spanish Judge Orders Arrest & Extradition of U.S. Soldiers in Death of Spanish Journalist Jose Couso in Iraq

Friday, April 14th, 2006
Iraqi CBS Cameraman Released After 1 Year Imprisonment by U.S. Forces

Friday, April 7th, 2006
Amy Goodman Questions Fmr. Chief Military Spokesman in Iraq About U.S. Killing, Detaining of Journalists and Planting of News Stories in Iraqi Press

Wednesday, April 5th, 2006
Inside the Resistance: Leading Arab Journalist Zaki Chehab on the Iraqi Insurgency and the Future of the Middle East

Friday, March 24th, 2006
The PsyOps War: A Look at the Lincoln Group and the U.S. Military's Planting of Stories in the Iraqi Press

http://www.democracynow.org/article.pl?sid=06/02/24/1513221&mode=thread&tid=25Friday, February 24th, 2006
The News Dissector Danny Schechter Calls For March 21 Protests Targeting Media's Complicit
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2006 :  08:08:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
So I am out of the loop. Good thing grad school is over with.

Thanks for the links, be!

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2006 :  09:45:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
Yeah never rely on the american media for this type of thing, its bad for ratings and causes execs headaches so they avoid it like the plague. Isnt this topic covered in 'Control room'?

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2006 :  11:53:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by marfknox

You are welcome and BTW, CONGRATULATIONS!!! Was there a congratulatory thread on you completing grad school somewhere?
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2006 :  14:01:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

quote:
Originally posted by marfknox

You are welcome and BTW, CONGRATULATIONS!!! Was there a congratulatory thread on you completing grad school somewhere?

If you had read the Skeptic Summary, it was mentioned in the Chat Summary. Another reason not to skip the Chat...

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2006 :  21:14:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf

Yeah never rely on the american media for this type of thing, its bad for ratings and causes execs headaches so they avoid it like the plague.
I think the obvious take-home message here is that the mainstream US media outlets don't want to be bombed or have their journalists assassinated. Talk about bad for ratings...

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2006 :  23:11:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
I'd join the chat more often but it's not worth fighting my son for the computer then.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2006 :  07:12:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

I'd join the chat more often but it's not worth fighting my son for the computer then.

It's ok... Some battles you choose to loose in order to win more important others.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2006 :  14:52:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Here's another source for unembedded journalism from Iraq.

http://www.unembedded.net/main.php

This is a book from 4 photo-journalists who spent considerable time in Iraq. I saw their book promo talk on CSPAN yesterday. It was very impressive. GHAITH ABDUL-AHAD, one of the authors, was one of the people interviewed on Democracy Now in the above link, "Friday, April 7th, 2006, Amy Goodman Questions Fmr. Chief Military Spokesman in Iraq About U.S. Killing, Detaining of Journalists and Planting of News Stories in Iraqi Press".
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds.