Page: of 3

dglas
Skeptic Friend

Canada
397 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2006 :  08:51:45  Show Profile Send dglas a Private Message
http://news.independent.co.uk/business/news/article755931.ece

Dear "Moral Majority."

This kind of relentless psychotic stupidity is why I despise you.

No one is going to claim that immunizing young girls to help prevent cervical cancer is going to make all sex safe. It is only in your twisted, deviant minds, jealously guarding your vicious little metaphysical empires and desperately clutching at the straws of non-issues, that this connection is made. But, even if someone did, making sex safer than it is and protecting human lives still trumps your sub-moronic, murderous dogma - at least in the minds of the sane.

Most of us would rather not have women die or have to undergo painful surgical procedures to avoid dying. Can you even begin to comprehend what kind of monsters you are?

Philosophies exist to serve humans, not the other way around.

--------------------------------------------------
- dglas (In the hell of 1000 unresolved subplots...)
The Presupposition of Intrinsic Evil
+ A Self-Justificatory Framework
= The "Heart of Darkness"

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2006 :  09:53:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
New topic:

The Moral Majority is neither moral or a majority. Discuss.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

GeeMack
SFN Regular

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2006 :  10:31:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GeeMack a Private Message
From the article linked by dglas...
quote The Independent:
Moral Majority Take On GSK and Merck Over Cancer Drugs

Conservative groups, including the influential Family Research Council (FRC), have voiced concerns that immunising young girls against the virus that most regularly causes cervical cancer, Human Papillomavirus, may lead to sexual promiscuity. "We would oppose any measures to legally require vaccination or to coerce parents into authorising it," wrote the FRC in a recent letter to the US government. "Our primary concern is with the message that would be delivered to nine- to 12-year-olds with the administration of the vaccines. Care must be taken not to communicate that such an intervention makes all sex 'safe'."
There seems to be a dangerous propensity among those of lesser intellectual capability to assume that everyone else is as stupid as they are.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2006 :  10:35:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
In the Steve Jackson Games(tm) Illuminati (a really cool game of conspiracy) they are know as "Moral Minority"

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2006 :  12:48:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by GeeMack:

There seems to be a dangerous propensity among those of lesser intellectual capability to assume that everyone else is as stupid as they are.

They also seem to have an unhealthy amount of interest in other people's sexual activities.

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2006 :  12:49:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
The Family Research Council is the blather pulpit of the utter peckerhead, Tony Perkins. It was conceived by utter peckerhead, James Dobson, a pervert who once wrote a screed on the best ways to beat children. Dobson is the head of Focus on the Family, a ministry that started and pretty much remains a radio show. Between the two, they have pretty much replaced The Moral Majority of Jerry Falwell, a double-barreled peckerhead if there ever could be one, and who, on the surface at least, seems not to have much authority over, or credibility with anyone anymore. He spent too much time putting his foot in his mouth with limp peckerhead, Pat Robertson.

With these, plus a too-large number of other, strident Bible-bellowers, we have the the American equivalent of Mullah Omar and the Talaban. Further, they represent G.W. Bush's political base and, in the last couple of decades or so, have come to vastly influence the Republican Party.

They are homophobic, against birth control in any form, seem to abhor the workings of the female body, anti-science, will shamlessly lie when convient, and, especially in the case of Perkins, lobby constantly for their "values." Their main goal is to supplant the Constitution with their own philosophies, and at least to a point, they are succeeding because the Republican Party has sold them it's soul in a blood and semen-sealed bargain worthy of Faust.

And do you want the punch line now, or would you rather I rant for a bit longer?

Eh, I'm getting tired of it. These p-heads are really a very dull and repetitive scene, so here's the part that makes for hysteria-tinged giggles: They ain't nothin' like no fuckin' majority! Never have been; never will be. In fact, they are little more than a festering carbuncle on the lower posterior of public discourse.

And it would be so easy to put the righteous smackdown on them. All we have to do is quit bitching and get off our lazy ass' and vote in every election that comes along. Get rid of their pimps in office, and you take away their power. Piece o' cake, or at least, it ought to be.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 06/11/2006 13:01:50
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2006 :  12:53:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Come on, filthy, let us know what you really think.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2006 :  13:04:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Dave, you crack me up.

So what about the virgin who marries a not so virgin who then infects her? Are these idiots claiming women should be vaccinated prior to being wed?

I am considering suggesting my son get the vaccine to prevent spreading the virus to others.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2006 :  13:39:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

Come on, filthy, let us know what you really think.

When, right or wrong, have I ever done otherwise?

Edit: It has been said that "the Truth will set you free." This is not really the case. The Truth will merely tell you why the bastards chained you up in the first place.

However, the Truth can, in this case and if it is brought forth in a manner unmistakable for anything but the Truth, has the potential to clap irons both figuritive and literal upon demogogues who richly deserve them.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 06/11/2006 14:03:16
Go to Top of Page

dglas
Skeptic Friend

Canada
397 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2006 :  14:21:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dglas a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

Dave, you crack me up.

So what about the virgin who marries a not so virgin who then infects her? Are these idiots claiming women should be vaccinated prior to being wed?

I am considering suggesting my son get the vaccine to prevent spreading the virus to others.

What I've read doesn't mention about males getting the immunization, but if that helps reduce the incidence of cervical cancer, then so be it. As a social species our problems are inter-related.

It's an immunization, not a cure, so it has to be used before the cancer develops to be effective - hence the need to use it on 9-12 year olds. So, yes, it would likely get used before being wed. I'm thinking I misread your post.

We dont even have to tell the children what it's for - let alone somehow "promote promiscuity."

From my perspective, the problem is that these "Moron Majority" types want to prevent the immunization - or stall it - on so-called "moral" grounds. I guess saving human lives and preventing surgery is not what they call moral. And, yes, if left untreated, it can develop into a spreading, lethal cancer.

http://www.universityobgyn.com/leep.htm

My ex had to have a LEEP. The procedure is crude, invasive, and distressing. Her fear and discomfort left a lasting impression on me. If that can be avoided by a simple immunization, then that strikes me as a good thing.

- dglas (In the hell of 1000 unresolved subplots...)
The Presupposition of Intrinsic Evil
+ A Self-Justificatory Framework
= The "Heart of Darkness"
Edited by - dglas on 06/11/2006 14:23:06
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2006 :  15:10:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
quote:

Every living human being with functioning sex organs should get this vaccination.

These fundie-assholes who oppose it are so clueless it isn't even funny.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2006 :  15:12:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
This kind of bull-crap, where the Human Papilloma-virus and cervical cancer are effectively praised and defended against Godless Science as God's tool for testing the purity of His sheep, is dangerous and insane.

It's also the kind of bull that is leading the theofascists to ever more widespread disrepute. Not that they ever had much attachment to reality, but they are now going off the deep end in a manner recognizable by any but their most fervent hypnotized flock.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Pernicious

35 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2006 :  18:56:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Pernicious a Private Message
quote:
"Our primary concern is with the message that would be delivered to nine- to 12-year-olds with the administration of the vaccines. Care must be taken not to communicate that such an intervention makes all sex 'safe'."

WTF??

So, in their mind, this little 9 year old girl getting vaccinated will think she can go have sex and it'll be ok? Cause, you know, there might be one or two otherthings one could contract sexually. Gee, I don't know, I think genital warts, AIDS, gonorrhea, etc. might be somewhere out there. The kid geting vaccinated doesn't need to know the details. And aren't these the same people opposed to actually educating kids about real safe sex?

If I was the Supreme Being, I wouldn't muck about with butterflies and dandelions, I'd start with lasers, eight o'clock, Day One!
-Time Bandits
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2006 :  22:40:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
I think it all comes down to the fundies being worried about the future. If someday all the sexually-transmitted diseases were to be conquered, and if birth control becomes casually easy, there would be no way they could control sex among consenting adults. "Sexual morality" would break down completely, and people would have a lot happier.

Happiness is simply never good for church attendance, especially sexual happiness. They like things as they are now, being able to set themselves up as the Sex Police. They realistically know that people are a lot more sexually constrained by the reality of sexually transmitted diseases in this world than they are by the myth of divine punishment for naughtiness in the next.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2006 :  02:30:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
quote:
Gee, I don't know, I think genital warts,

The vaccination is for the virus that causes genital warts, and is responsible for cervical cancer. Same nasty little bugger is the source of both those afflictions.

But yeah... You'd think they would have other, more meaningfull, things on their minds besides using disease and cancer to scare girls away from sex.

If I ever came face-to-face with Dobson or his minions, I'd be hard pressed to maintain civility.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Pernicious

35 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2006 :  03:12:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Pernicious a Private Message
quote:

If I ever came face-to-face with Dobson or his minions, I'd be hard pressed to maintain civility.

My personal arch-nemesis is Benny Hinn. I would pay a lot of money for just the chance to kick him in the nuts in front of the mindless hordes at one of his rallies. He's not worthy of a hit above the belt.

Benny stikes a defensive pose as I charge him with a baseball bat.

Who's with me?

If I was the Supreme Being, I wouldn't muck about with butterflies and dandelions, I'd start with lasers, eight o'clock, Day One!
-Time Bandits
Edited by - Pernicious on 06/12/2006 03:15:50
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.