New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

woolytoad
Skeptic Friend

313 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2006 :  04:03:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send woolytoad a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Pernicious
[quote] He's not worthy of a hit above the belt.

You are a bigger man than I.

I would kick him in the balls. And when he is on the ground I would kick him above the belt just to make sure.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2006 :  04:36:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
We kick the scumbag Hinn around fairly regularly, in here.

I'd like to see him bitten by any of my permanent residents and watch while God fails to heal his lying ass.

A good, hot viperid bite is beyond pain and lasts much longer than a mere whack in the happy sac. And perhaps, like me, he might be sensitive to equine serum -- hehehe. Then he'll pray for real!

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2006 :  07:16:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
From

quote:
Genital HPV infection is very common, with estimates suggesting that up to 75% of women will become infected with one or more sexually-transmitted HPV types at some point during adulthood (Baseman 2005).

Half the women I'm friends with have HPV (excuse me, know they have HPV.) The only reason this isn't common knowledge is a.) people tend not to talk about STDs they have because other people might make stupid assumptions, and b.) a lot of women don't even know they have it because most forms of HPV are pretty harmless and in remission they don't even show up on a pap.

beskeptical wrote:
quote:
So what about the virgin who marries a not so virgin who then infects her? Are these idiots claiming women should be vaccinated prior to being wed?

Excellent point. I have one of the more harmless HPVs (although there is a small chance it could develop into cancer someday. yaaaay.) Anyway, while I wasn't a virgin, I wasn't exactly a playa before I got married, and I caught it from my husband. And it didn't even show up until I'd been with him for 2 years. Now it's in remission again and not showing up anymore. (this is all based on examinations. I haven't experienced any symptoms of anything what-so-ever.)

Anyway, I'm telling this story to further beskeptical's point about how a woman could easily catch HPV after marriage, and also because I think talking about this sort of stuff shouldn't be so taboo. If people talked about it more, fundies would be ignored and reviled even more because everybody and his brother would know that they know several women with HPV.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2006 :  10:00:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:

quote:

If I ever came face-to-face with Dobson or his minions, I'd be hard pressed to maintain civility.

My personal arch-nemesis is Benny Hinn. I would pay a lot of money for just the chance to kick him in the nuts in front of the mindless hordes at one of his rallies. He's not worthy of a hit above the belt.

Benny stikes a defensive pose as I charge him with a baseball bat.

Who's with me?

I'm sorta with you.

I'm more along the lines of da filth. Only I'd like to attach one of the denizens round these parts to his happy sac. In particular, the Cottonmouth. Kinda rare up by me, but I have seen one or two in the last 20 years. I could always go looking further downstate for one with a particularly foul mood.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2006 :  11:05:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Valiant Dancer

quote:

quote:

If I ever came face-to-face with Dobson or his minions, I'd be hard pressed to maintain civility.

My personal arch-nemesis is Benny Hinn. I would pay a lot of money for just the chance to kick him in the nuts in front of the mindless hordes at one of his rallies. He's not worthy of a hit above the belt.

Benny stikes a defensive pose as I charge him with a baseball bat.

Who's with me?

I'm sorta with you.

I'm more along the lines of da filth. Only I'd like to attach one of the denizens round these parts to his happy sac. In particular, the Cottonmouth. Kinda rare up by me, but I have seen one or two in the last 20 years. I could always go looking further downstate for one with a particularly foul mood.

I gots two nice, big, fat ones, the FL subspecies (A. p. conanti) and one of them, the male, is fucking insane! For such a worthy cause, I'll happily loan him to you.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Zebra
Skeptic Friend

USA
354 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2006 :  20:29:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Zebra a Private Message
So...will it eventually only be women raised in fundamentalist Christian families who get cervical cancer? It'll be the sign from GOD that they are the chosen ones.

OK, so actually it'll be the sign that their parents were the chosen ones, because it will be obvious that the women who get cervical cancer SINNED. No matter how wholesome and Christian they seem. Brought it on yourselves, didn't we tell you GOD would punish you, told-ya-so-nyah-nyah.

I think, you know, freedom means freedom for everyone* -Dick Cheney

*some restrictions may apply
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2006 :  01:02:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
And no mention of the man the good Christian girl got it from either. Typical Judeo/Christian/Islamic way of seeing the world.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2006 :  01:10:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
It really is a bizarre position these guys take when you think about it.

Condoms promote sex.
HPV vaccine will promote sex.
Sex education will promote sex.

And needle exchange will promote drug use.

Not a shred of evidence supports these positions and quite a bit of evidence disputes the beliefs.

In a way, it goes along with believing the Bible. Evidence not needed.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2006 :  06:01:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

It really is a bizarre position these guys take when you think about it.

Condoms promote sex.
HPV vaccine will promote sex.
Sex education will promote sex.

And needle exchange will promote drug use.

Not a shred of evidence supports these positions and quite a bit of evidence disputes the beliefs.

In a way, it goes along with believing the Bible. Evidence not needed.

It is something of a mystery to me as to why this should be so. Sex is as natural and normal (most of it, anyway) as breathing. In fact, without it, we would not be breathing and a pretty good argument could finally be made for the supernatural.

I speculate: are Dobson & his vile ilk so emotionally screwed up; have such sad and desperate biological lives; are so deeply into some fetid, twisted closet that they hate the very idea of any sort of sex, and to them, even procreation is a disgusting but necessary evil? And so, they cherry-pick the writings of OT tribesmen for support of their own degenerate version of morality -- might that be?

It could, it could be, I think, something very like that. Why else would they attempt to prevent women from protecting their health?

Unless, of course, they merely wish the power to dictate to us all like some tinpot tyrant while they exchange political (mostly) fellatio with their groveling, Republican dogsbodies......

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

dglas
Skeptic Friend

Canada
397 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2006 :  07:44:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dglas a Private Message
For your amusement...

It is instructive to try to think of some way in which their ideas might make some sort of sense. I suspect their positions are not about morality. Morality is a mere sound-bite for these monsters. Humans are, apparently, expendible cogs in their dogmatic meat grinders. The best explanation I have been able to come up with so far (and I welcome alternative ideas anyone might have)is a purely political one - polarizing people. It's almost as if they conceive of these ridiculous and extreme viewpoints as a test to see how far one is prepared to surrender ones humanity, one's compassion, to remain one of the chosen and the perfect people. Like a kind of emotional/intellectual hazing ritual, their extremism forces one to prove one's loyalty to the dogma - a dogma which, by its very conceptual nature, is dehumanizing because it isn't centered on humanity. Expect inhumane results because the basic premise includes (entails actually) that people are subservient to the philosophy.

As beskeptigal, I think rightly, points out, their positions are revealed to be bizarre on a thoughtful examination, but this is in the context of understandings of morality that are human-centered, as opposed to God-centered; morality as a social artifact rather than as a system of absolutist conceptual truisms, all other priorities (including human lives) rescinded.

Sex is at the core of the human condition and is something that can be clutched at, something that is emotionally charged for almost all of us - and hence a weapon that can be wielded against us. Make sex something dangerous, something dirty, something immoral, something to be feared and offer "answers" wrapped in the label of "morality" and present the pretense of authority. It's a power grab, a means of control. Anything even remotely connected, or connectable, to sex or sexuality is a direct challenge to their authority as it demystifies the subject matter - threatening to make it understandable to the mere masses. Of course, sex is also a competetor for the attention of the people.

Mystifying aspects of the human condition is the bread and butter of these power-mongers. It is done with sex and it is done with serial killers. Attributing vague metaphysical qualities, un-understandable, alien and strange, to various aspects of the human condition creates a whole realm of pseudo-knowledge over which they can claim to be authorities, because there is no proof requirement of any sort, no credentials needed and no external referents to confuse the purity of their conceptual house of cards. Even internal consistancy can be ignored using "perfect" concepts (i.e. God) that are deliberately designed to be irrefutable and far too broad at the same time. It's woo-ism on the grandest of scales. Of course, the bigger the lie...

I take issue with people like the "Moral Majority" every time they sacrifice humans (figuratively and sometimes literally) on the altar of their dogma. I will talk openly about that which they hope to keep mystical and secret. No taboos. Nothing is sacred. The lives of living, breathing human beings are on the line.

--------------------------------------------------
- dglas (In the hell of 1000 unresolved subplots...)
The Presupposition of Intrinsic Evil
+ A Self-Justificatory Framework
= The "Heart of Darkness"
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2006 :  12:19:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Here's the straight skinny on the Religious Right. They are as I have described, and should have no credibility among thinking people at all. They are chronic liars who would steal the pennies off a dead man's eyes if it would further their ambitions.
quote:
The Religious Right And American Freedom
Fundamentalist Christian Forces Seek ‘Dominion' Over The Lives Of All Americans, And They Just Might Be Near The Political Clout To Pull It Off
by Rob Boston

Focus on the Family founder James C. Dobson flew into Washington, D.C., last month with twin goals: attend a meeting of the secretive Council for National Policy and issue a new round of orders to top Republican leaders.

With November elections fast ap­proaching, Dobson is eager to make sure the Republican leadership does all it can to satisfy social conservatives. What GOP leaders in Congress have done so far – subjecting Supreme Court appointments to a right-wing litmus test, steadily eroding legal abortion, allocating billions in tax money to religious groups, curbing comprehensive sex education in public institutions, intervening in personal end-of-life decisions in the Terri Schiavo case and laboring to make same-sex marriage unconstitutional – is apparently not enough. Dobson has more items on his wish list.

In a series of meetings with top Repub­lican leaders, Dobson made it clear that he expects action now. Otherwise, as he remarked on Fox News Channel's “Han­nity & Colmes” May 1, “I think there's going to be some trouble down the road if they don't get on the ball.”

The Republican leadership, facing an increasingly unfavorable political outlook, moved quickly to placate Dobson. The New York Times reported that he met with a list of GOP leaders, among them Karl Rove, top aide to President George W. Bush; U.S. Sen. Bill Frist, Senate majority leader; Speaker of the House Dennis Hastert and U.S. Rep. John A. Boehner, House majority leader.

It continues for quite a way, giving some history and nicely defining these slimy pieces of sanctimonious filth for what they are.

The Christians are not the enemy, neither mine nor yours. It is the Religious Right, that perversion of Christianity that only follows the teachings of the Christ when it suits their treasonous goals, who is the enemy.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2006 :  13:02:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message
We need the vaccine if it is proven to work. Nobody has to tell the children what it is for except the parets. Most christian parents only want to be the ones to decide how to tell their children about sex and not have any government agency do it.

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. - George Washington
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2006 :  13:15:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Robb

....Most christian parents only want to be the ones to decide how to tell their children about sex and not have any government agency do it.

So why do they care what the government tells my kid?
Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2006 :  13:18:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

quote:
Originally posted by Robb

....Most christian parents only want to be the ones to decide how to tell their children about sex and not have any government agency do it.

So why do they care what the government tells my kid?

I am talking about most christians, not the religious right.

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. - George Washington
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2006 :  13:19:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Just think what we'd be like if we evolved from Bonobos.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.28 seconds.