New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2006 :  05:25:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
The same Ivory Billed Woodpecker which has yet to be found after a massive search, with many tens of researchers, the dept. of interior and motion sensitive wildlife cameras? They have had at least 36 people looking for over a year.

quote:
Researchers in Massachusetts said the interpretation of several of the bird's features was "mistaken".

quote:
Whatever the outcome of the row, the search for the woodpecker has boosted tourism in Arkansas by 30% - a woodpecker celebration day was even held in February.

No doubt its a lucrative 'sighting' for the Cornell folks who are now writing books and throwing all of their ornithological weight behind the bigfoot-esque video clip.

quote:
In January, Jackson published a direct attack on Cornell's science in The Auk, a respected bird publication. He charged, among other things, that Gallagher's original sighting suffered from what might be called "story creep." Gallagher's book, published in May 2005, estimates his distance from the bird at "less than 80 feet." In the July 2005 issue of Audubon magazine, his wife wrote that it was "less than 70 feet." In an interview on "60 Minutes" in October, Gallagher said the bird was "about 65 feet away." At one news conference, Fitzpatrick observed that if Gallagher and Harrison had not shouted, the bird "might even have landed on the canoe." Jackson wrote: "Observations can become more and more 'real' with the passing of time, as we forget the minor details and focus inwardly on the 'important' memory." He characterized Cornell's science, memorably, as "faith-based ornithology."

quote:
But in March of this year, David Allen Sibley, the author of "Sibley's Guide to Birds," issued a frame-by-frame analysis of the video. (I know Sibley and have been in the woods with him on a few occasions.) Sibley's critique (which Cornell quickly rebutted) offered a completely different interpretation of the video. As Sibley saw it, the bird pushed back from the tree and rotated its wings furiously, scooping the air to gain initial flight. In other words, the "topside trailing feathers" you could see were actually the underside feathers of a wing strenuously wrenched backward in the act of getting airborne. The most famous ivory-billed woodpecker of the 21st century looked to David Allen Sibley like a pileated flying away.

So anyway, Ill wait for actual evidence for the money making "Lord-God" bird.

Link, NYT article

quote:
Gallagher's book, you can find Harrison's initial reaction to Luneau's video: "It makes a bad Bigfoot movie look good."

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2006 :  13:40:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Sad update there, BigPapa, about the Ivory Billed. I hadn't followed the issue, and had thought it was clearly "back" from extinction. Cornell, after all!

Fascinating to see how this bird is driving tourism as Bigfoot is in Idaho and Malaysia. Alive or not now, the Ivory Billed at least once did exist. There's not hide nor verified hair, much less a single skeletal remains, to show Bigfoot ever walked in the forests of the Northwest.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Ghost_Skeptic
SFN Regular

Canada
510 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2006 :  01:03:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ghost_Skeptic a Private Message
A neutral exhibit should include a pair of carved "Big Feet" used by a hoaxer. There is no excuse for not doing DNA analysis on a hair sample. The sasquatch hair found in the Yukon recently was analyzed fairly quickly (it turned out be bison hair).

I think Sasquatches could be out there, I would like them to be out there, but I realize the odds are against it. I would have expected one of them to have been nailed by a truck somewhere in the Northwest by now. There are a hell of a lot of big rigs on the Trans Canada late at night.

I have 3 explanations of the Sasquatch phenomenon.

They could be bipedal apes, probably descended from Gigantopithicus. Perhaps they are too smart to end up as road kill.

They could be extraterrestrials on nature holidays on a primitve planet. They are required to avoid contact with humans, but a few can't resist the opportunity to scare the bejesus out of someone who will never be believed anyway. This would explain the lack of bodies.

Since this penomenon occurs in many may parts of the world (Yowie in Australia, Yeh Wen in China, Yeti in the Himalayas etc.) it could be the result of encounters with the Neanderthals in Europe before Homo Sapiens dispersed into the rest of the world. The Neandarthals would have become bigger and hairier with every retelling until they resembled the sasquatch.

"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. / You can send a kid to college but you can't make him think." - B.B. King

History is made by stupid people - The Arrogant Worms

"The greater the ignorance the greater the dogmatism." - William Osler

"Religion is the natural home of the psychopath" - Pat Condell

"The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter" - Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.22 seconds.