Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2006 :  00:44:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

Are you talking about this, Ricky? If so, it's beautiful. The guy scored 30% on the test he thinks everyone should take. Of course, since he thinks we can get rid of the Department of Education, perhaps his poor test result is to be expected.

What's the deal with these interviews? I know the interviewer (Colbert?) is a parody/character, but the politician seemed dumb enough to be real. Do politicians agree to be interviewed by this guy in a show of good sportsmanship, or am I missing something?(1)

The Letterman clip is the first time I've seen the infamous O'Reilly I've heard many of you discussing in the past. Now I have some imagery to match to the discussions.

(1)Cut me a little slack as I know slightly less than half of a metric SFA about American politicians, and possibly slightly less about American TV.

John's just this guy, you know.
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2006 :  01:24:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by JohnOAS
What's the deal with these interviews? I know the interviewer (Colbert?) is a parody/character, but the politician seemed dumb enough to be real. Do politicians agree to be interviewed by this guy in a show of good sportsmanship, or am I missing something?(1)

The Letterman clip is the first time I've seen the infamous O'Reilly I've heard many of you discussing in the past. Now I have some imagery to match to the discussions.

(1)Cut me a little slack as I know slightly less than half of a metric SFA about American politicians, and possibly slightly less about American TV.

The politician is real, but as you might have seen from Colbert's "big map" of congressional districts, he represents a very small part of the nation. But as he stated, he was sworn in with the rest of them, so he is a member of Congress.

Regarding some of his answers, I suspect by now all politicans are aware of who Colbert is and who his audience is (especially after his "roast" of Bush at the press corps dinner.) I caught a bit of a smirk when the Representative said he'd get rid of the Department of Education, so I'd assume he was just being cheeky then. (Good sportsmanship, as you say.) Of course, part of the beauty of Colbert is every politician thinks they can be engaging/funny on the spot without being made to look foolish, and damn if they don't all look like morons when they're not reading off a script.

So while they know Colbert is a comedian, they don't necessarily know in advance what they'll be asked, and therein lies the beauty of it all. I think his not knowing the 10 commandments was legit, but you never know. Rest assured that regardless of the truth, he'll spin it that he was just playing it up for the cameras.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 06/16/2006 01:31:02
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2006 :  04:03:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Coulter.... A nightmare that I haven't had yet is the one where, in the dream, I am waking up one morning with a head that feels like a mini-Stegasarous is playing hop-scotch in there, and I turn over and see that utter skank in bed beside me.....

She'd probably give me a strain of the clap that only the pistol would cure.

I am not at all surprised that the audience was filled with hysterical, male groupies. I don't think most of them have read her books or are even literate enough to do so. They mainly just want to jump her bones and audience-packing is as close as they'll get to it.

Of course, we should have seen it coming. I doubt that there is any way Coulter will let herself get into any situation where she might meet strong, face to face criticism. Which puts her in the same category as all of the other candy-assed neoconservatives. If they can't ride for free, they ain't boardin' the train.

Mrs. Betty Bowers has some thoughts on her and her latest, hard-cover drivel:
quote:
This week, sweet Ann Coulter released her latest in a series of pre-rehab books, entitled Godless. Naturally, the title led me to believe that it was an unexpectedly candid autobiography. Alas, she may be saving that book until after she's been strapped to a bed at Hazelden for a month. Instead of using this book to dabble in the bracing novelty of introspection, Miss Coulter turns her two-setting mind ("off" and "off her rocker") to hector us about religion.

Let's be honest: Reading a book about religion from Ann Coulter is tantamount to reading a book about dieting from Michael Moore. After all, who wants to be lectured about not being Christian enough by an almost-50 year-old boozehound in a black leather miniskirt who has never been married? Count me as having a healthy skepticism over whether Miss Coulter has saved herself for marriage. Or anything, for that matter.

All in all, and Carlin aside, I don't think I missed much...

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2006 :  09:22:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Stephanie Miller (my favorite Air America comedian) had a Coulter clip on this morning where Coulter claimed she never said the 9/11 widows enjoyed their husband's deaths, followed by a Coulter clip from The Today Show not only saying the 9/11 widows were enjoying their husband's deaths, but also Matt Lauer read the same quote DIRECTLY FROM HER BOOK.

You can hear Miller's show online. I wake up every morning laughing to it on my clock radio.
Edited by - beskeptigal on 06/16/2006 09:26:51
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2006 :  14:01:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kil
I remember, a while back, Rush Limbaugh was on the Letterman show. Letterman just kind of sat and let Rush go on with his baloney for much of the interview. And then Letterman let him have it. He sat back in his chair, looked at Limbaugh and said “but really, don't you ever feel like you're just a great big bag of hot air?” Limbaugh was so stunned he went speechless, his mouth agape…

One of my favorite Letterman moments…

I never liked Letterman... And I never knew he had any redeeming qualities until now. Thanks Kil. If you ever stumble over a video clip online of that moment, please post it here.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2006 :  16:00:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message
I liked this editorial cartoon.

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2006 :  17:00:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by H. Humbert

The politician is real, but as you might have seen from Colbert's "big map" of congressional districts, he represents a very small part of the nation. But as he stated, he was sworn in with the rest of them, so he is a member of Congress...
Of course, part of the beauty of Colbert is every politician thinks they can be engaging/funny on the spot without being made to look foolish, and damn if they don't all look like morons when they're not reading off a script...

...So while they know Colbert is a comedian, they don't necessarily know in advance what they'll be asked, and therein lies the beauty of it all. I think his not knowing the 10 commandments was legit, but you never know. Rest assured that regardless of the truth, he'll spin it that he was just playing it up for the cameras.

Thanks, H. I figured it was something along those lines.

I guess if they (the politicians) are naive/dumb enough to believe they can pull off such an interview and come out looking good, which very few can, it's in favour of the punters from an entertainment-potential perspective.

John's just this guy, you know.
Edited by - JohnOAS on 06/18/2006 17:00:44
Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2006 :  18:13:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Randy

http://www.nbc.com/nbc/The_Tonight_Show_with_Jay_Leno/guests/

Jay Leno show, Wednesday night June 14 guests will be George Carlin and Ann Coulter. I hope Carlin turns her into a pile of quivering dog $#!+. Well, that shouldn't be too difficult...she already is one.
Not that Carlin is this way, but I could see the camera crew having to hold him back from knocking her block off.

I still respect George very much, great guy but, or at least the routine he did that night on the show, he wasn't doing his best stuff, to say the least. Not like in the past anyway. You think he lost his intensity?
A lot of people want to be picky about HOW Ann Coulter says something instead of WHAT point she's trying to bring up. According to one radio show host, (might have been Bill O'Reilly, doesn't really matter) she could have used a better choice of wording but the intent was to point out how the wifes of those who died are being exploited.
I can't stand that woman, her voice and personality are so annoying, just like Mrs. H. Clinton. I think they need to soften up their presentations.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2006 :  18:31:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Coulter's only intent is to sell her books and endear herself to the ultra-conservatives in power.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2006 :  04:44:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message
This letter to the editor appeared today in the Charlotte Observer. Made me laugh...
quote:
Forum outdoes itself in bonanza of illogic

A banner day (June 16) for the Forum!

Two Ann Coulter defenders, three Bush advocates, one writer still upset with Clinton and another still linking 9-11 with the Iraq War.

It was like reading a full-page ad for ignorance.

Andrew Diman

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2006 :  11:52:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
That's a great letter moakley.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2006 :  14:14:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by moakley

This letter to the editor appeared today in the Charlotte Observer. Made me laugh...
quote:
Forum outdoes itself in bonanza of illogic

A banner day (June 16) for the Forum!

Two Ann Coulter defenders, three Bush advocates, one writer still upset with Clinton and another still linking 9-11 with the Iraq War.

It was like reading a full-page ad for ignorance.

Andrew Diman

Was the "Forum" an editorial page in the Charlotte Observer?

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2006 :  14:19:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:

Coulter's only intent is to sell her books and endear herself to the ultra-conservatives in power.

Well, DUH! Most people want to sell something, usually for profit. And IMO most of anything that's sold is hype. But that doesn't mean someone can't give their point of view.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2006 :  14:54:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Snake

quote:

Well, DUH! Most people want to sell something, usually for profit. And IMO most of anything that's sold is hype. But that doesn't mean someone can't give their point of view.

And my point of view is that her point of view is all crap. I strongly doubt that even she beleives her vile bullshit. lt kind of makes me sick to think that we breath the same air...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2006 :  19:04:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Snake

Well, DUH! Most people want to sell something, usually for profit. And IMO most of anything that's sold is hype.
Well, you made it sound like Coulter's "intent" was getting lost amid the backlash against her manner of speaking, but if you agree that her intent is just to profit, then what she says makes no difference, and it's entirely about how she says it.
quote:
But that doesn't mean someone can't give their point of view.
Did someone say otherwise?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.