General Discussion
 New snake for Filthy
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2006 :  11:47:55  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/5118778.stm

Chameleon Snake... More proof of God's general swellness.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2006 :  12:49:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
Beaten by Val by 4:48:25.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2006 :  17:37:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
I ain't quite ready to buy this....

Thus far, there is no reliable comment on color change and all I have been able to find is here. I think I'll wait a bit.

Color change in reptiles, notably lizards, is not uncommon and not just in chamelions. Many species will get lighter or darker according to mood and/or environment. The tokay gecko is an excellent example, as are several of the anoles. It is not quite so common in snakes, nor nearly as profound.

Thus, such a radical change as described I must take with a pillar of salt until a paper from Nature or better yet, Copeia comes out.

Gots a feeling that I might not see such a paper....

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

dglas
Skeptic Friend

Canada
397 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2006 :  17:43:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dglas a Private Message
Mood?
Reptiles have moods?
Is this some use of the word "mood" I am unfamiliar with?
;)

--------------------------------------------------
- dglas (In the hell of 1000 unresolved subplots...)
The Presupposition of Intrinsic Evil
+ A Self-Justificatory Framework
= The "Heart of Darkness"
Edited by - dglas on 06/27/2006 17:43:30
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2006 :  05:51:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
Not a "Honey pick up your socks" mood but an "Im ornary because some bastard lizard is in my terrirory trying to screw my lady lizards" mood.

Could this be a more "Advannced" version of the Legless Lizard? http://www.uga.edu/srel/legless_lizard.htm

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2006 :  06:47:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by dglas

Mood?
Reptiles have moods?
Is this some use of the word "mood" I am unfamiliar with?
;)

Oh yes, reptiles show quite a range of moods, but nothing introspective of course. These range from somnolent contentment, to fear, to fury, and all in between. Not to mention greed and lust.

One of my oldest, permanent residents is a Florida cottonmouth (A. p. conanti) that can give you a whole, new perspective on 'moods.' The snake is unreal! Yet, I have another FL cotton that is very easy going.

to see a color change due to moods in all of it's glory, look at an adult male, green iguana who thinks his territory is being invaded, or thinks he's about to get laid. Spectacular!

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

dglas
Skeptic Friend

Canada
397 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2006 :  11:02:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dglas a Private Message
Having just watched that WhereTheHellIsMatt video again, reading this is doing strange things to my mind.
I'll have to set the lizard lust aside for the time being, out of sheer necessity.

I wonder if there is a market here for mood rings...?
Or should we continue to employ the services of pet psychics for lizards?

Just teasing....

- dglas (In the hell of 1000 unresolved subplots...)
The Presupposition of Intrinsic Evil
+ A Self-Justificatory Framework
= The "Heart of Darkness"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.