Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Our Skeptic Forums
 General Skepticism
 Consciousness, the border of the universe..
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

McQ
Skeptic Friend

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2006 :  18:38:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send McQ a Private Message
[/quote]
Still, in whatever language a person chooses to express himself (and rudeonline chose to write in English), doing so clearly is vital in getting a point across, especially when trying to make a very controversial point.

Maybe if one doesn't have all the tools at hand, one shouldn't take on the job.
[/quote]

Amen to that! Oops. Did I say "Amen"? (cough cough) What I meant was, "I agree wholeheartedly!"

Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Gillette
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2006 :  19:21:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
I frequently make use of a spell-checking plug-in for Internet Explorer.

www.iespell.com is free of charge and easy to install and use.

Though, most of the time the spell checker flags more often in quoted sections than in the text I've written myself. I only wish it also had a grammar-check, since there are distinct differences between my own language, Swedish, and English.
Still, I make a point double checking stuff like affect/effect and than/then. Those are pet peeves.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2006 :  19:37:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

I frequently make use of a spell-checking plug-in for Internet Explorer.

www.iespell.com is free of charge and easy to install and use.

Though, most of the time the spell checker flags more often in quoted sections than in the text I've written myself. I only wish it also had a grammar-check, since there are distinct differences between my own language, Swedish, and English.
Still, I make a point double checking stuff like affect/effect and than/then. Those are pet peeves.

I'm afraid I have no idea what you're getting at. Could you please parse that once again, Dr. Mabuse?

Seriously, though: You do make a good and successful effort to write in a non-native language, one without phonetic (or even much rules-based) spelling, and with many odd grammatical ends and outs. In fact, many of us native English writers are far worse at writing the language of Shakespeare than you are. Thanks for making the effort! Thanks to Siberia (and others) also for making the same kind of effort!

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2006 :  21:49:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner

quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

I make a point double checking stuff like affect/effect and than/then. Those are pet peeves.

Seriously, though: You do make a good and successful effort to write in a non-native language, one without phonetic (or even much rules-based) spelling, and with many odd grammatical ends and outs.

That's one of my pet peeves too. However, so many people on e-groups and websites, etc., spend far too much time being picky about small mistakes when it's usually clear what the poster means. Which takes away from the subject of the post. I'm more concerned about errors in news papers or on broadcasts where professionals are supposed to really know better. One sees mistakes there more than should be.
And if anyone thinks English is difficult because it has too many odd rules, try learning Thai. Besides the tones there are many times a letter at the end of a word does not have the sound that it's supposed to and you just sort of have to know what to say.
It's like living in a parallel universe where there's no time.
CuriousCreations.com
Edited by - Snake on 06/29/2006 21:52:38
Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2006 :  22:03:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message
The twin paradox...

Most people seem to miss the paradox part.
Assume one of the twins took off on a space ship and was traveling at 99.9% the speed of light. If the twin on earth could see a clock on the space ship it would be moving in super slow motion.
The paradox is (because of relativity) that if the twin on the space ship could see a clock on earth it would be going in slow motion too! This occurs because the earth is traveling at 99.9% the speed of light relative to the space ship.
So why does the twin on the ship age less than the twin on earth. At this point it gets a little ugly - it is because the inertial frame of the space ship twin accelerates and decelerates relative to the earth bound twins inertial frame.

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2006 :  14:55:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner
Seriously, though: You do make a good and successful effort to write in a non-native language, one without phonetic (or even much rules-based) spelling, and with many odd grammatical ends and outs. In fact, many of us native English writers are far worse at writing the language of Shakespeare than you are.
Thanks!
quote:
Thanks for making the effort!
It's my pleasure. I dream of a day to come when I write my own sci-fi novel in English. The language skill I'm developing is an important tool for that event.
quote:
Thanks to Siberia (and others) also for making the same kind of effort!
I think Siberia is much more impressive. I studied English 2 hours/week in school for 8 years as a foreign language, then one semester at the university.
Siberia is self-taught.

Edited to add:
You know, my spell checker insist on flagging for "HalfMooner"

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Edited by - Dr. Mabuse on 06/30/2006 14:56:40
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.