New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2006 :  15:43:27  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message
Here's something fun you can do at your July 4th picnic with Diet Coke and Mentos candy.

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2006 :  15:59:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
I can tell you from experience that while it may be safer, it's also much stickier.

And it's a real good way to gum up drill bits.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

woolytoad
Skeptic Friend

313 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2006 :  16:45:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send woolytoad a Private Message
Diet coke has no sugar. It should be much better.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2006 :  16:47:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Mentos are full of sugar, so the "diet" part of "diet Coke" really doesn't matter.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2006 :  20:07:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
That was may question, why diet coke and not coke?
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2006 :  20:12:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
That, and other important questions, are "Coming Soon!" They've been saying that since June 7th at the latest.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Zebra
Skeptic Friend

USA
354 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2006 :  20:15:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Zebra a Private Message
The Mentos don't dissolve - or not much. (Eventually, they do in what little is left of the soda. By then, the fun is over.) Mentos have an irregular surface, thus large surface area, which acts as many nucleation sites for the carbon dioxide to come (rapidly) out of solution.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nucleation:
quote:
Bubbles of carbon dioxide nucleate shortly after the pressure is released from a container of carbonated liquid. Nucleation often occurs more easily at a pre-existing interface (heterogeneous nucleation), as happens on boiling chips and string used to make rock candy. A demonstration of nucleation using soda and a candy with many nucleation sites can be observed here. [Link is to same video R Wreck linked to above.]

Anything with a large surface area would work, including sand. Trust me, if you do it with regular Coke or Pepsi (as we tried in our backyard, with just one 2L bottle) you do get a sticky mess.

To see an even bigger mess:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtwwNKqRyxc&eurl

I think, you know, freedom means freedom for everyone* -Dick Cheney

*some restrictions may apply
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2006 :  20:25:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Zebra

The Mentos don't dissolve - or not much.
There was a surprising amount of dissolving going on with my Mentos.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2006 :  06:48:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
I played around with this when I was a kid. I think I was around 10 years old when I noticed that putting sugar and soda made it fizz up. So I tried it with different amounts and different types of soda, and I remember coming to the conclusion that, "Soda doesn't like sugar."

I never did find out why that happened till now.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Edited by - Ricky on 07/03/2006 06:49:44
Go to Top of Page

Zebra
Skeptic Friend

USA
354 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2006 :  19:20:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Zebra a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

quote:

The Mentos don't dissolve - or not much.
There was a surprising amount of dissolving going on with my Mentos.

Dave W, I suspect the difference is that you used Diet Coke and I used Pepsi...so mine was already close to saturated with sugar when the Mentos went in, yours wasn't.

Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2006 :  19:44:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

That was may question, why diet coke and not coke?

Are you old enough to remember when the formula for Coke changed?

Diet coke didn't change. It still has the significant battery acid burn we Coke addicts required.

Used to be able to clean pennies with that stuff.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Zebra
Skeptic Friend

USA
354 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2006 :  20:17:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Zebra a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Valiant Dancer

Diet coke didn't change. It still has the significant battery acid burn we Coke addicts required.

Honey, I'm old enough to remember when Diet coke was introduced.

Formula change...do you mean in 1985, when they tried to switch to "New Coke" - a Pepsi clone - or earlier, when they replaced some of the cane sugar with high fructose corn syrup?

Here's an idea...drop some Mentos into a fresh bottle of champagne...

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2006 :  20:33:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
quote:

Young whippersnappers! (Not you, Filthy.) I remember when the first sodas were sold in cans. I think the first I had was a can of Dad's Old Fashioned Root Beer (or was it Hires?). The cans had conical tops like brake fluid cans, and pop-off tin caps identical to soda bottles. Only later came soda cans that required a "church-key" to open a hole in 'em, like the first beer cans. Later, I remember the first "pull-tab" cans, which ushered in an era notably dangerous for the barefooted. I suspect that soft drink and beer canners were after the hippies.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2006 :  05:01:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Valiant Dancer

Formula change...do you mean in 1985, when they tried to switch to "New Coke" - a Pepsi clone - or earlier, when they replaced some of the cane sugar with high fructose corn syrup?

Here's an idea...drop some Mentos into a fresh bottle of champagne...

The 85 fiasco.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.