Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2006 :  15:57:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message
That does it! I'm returning my CleanFlicks version of Deep Throat. I wondered why it was only 4 minutes long.

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2006 :  16:07:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by R.Wreck

That does it! I'm returning my CleanFlicks version of Deep Throat. I wondered why it was only 4 minutes long.

This reminds me of the hilarious "The Sopranos" episode on Mad TV, which is supposed to be an edited version for Pax, a Christian network. The hour episode runs less than three minutes, once the sex, violence, and foul language are clipped out.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 07/10/2006 16:15:23
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2006 :  16:18:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner
This reminds me of the hilarious "The Sopranos" episode on Mad TV, which is supposed to be an edited version for Pax, a Christian network. The hour episode runs less than three minutes, once the sex, violence, and foul language are clipped out.
Ah, that was good. I like the dinner scene when there are about 3 edited lines and then you just see the door slamming as Meadow leaves. Funny stuff, Halfmooner. Thanks.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 07/10/2006 17:05:36
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2006 :  16:24:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
There was something like that on "Mr. Show" where they ran an edited edition of Goodfellas.

You can see it here:

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=682880270&n=2&&Mytoken=109BBD87-5D90-9789-650414DAC56FC86613967895

This episode brings me to tears every time I see it...

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Edited by - pleco on 07/10/2006 16:26:21
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2006 :  16:36:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
Not to hijack this topic even further but..

That was good, Pleco. I always thought the idea behind Mr. Show was a good one, but never really worked well. But that was a great sketch, I especially like what they did with the middle finger.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2006 :  16:38:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by pleco

There was something like that on "Mr. Show" where they ran an edited edition of Goodfellas.

You can see it here:

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=682880270&n=2&&Mytoken=109BBD87-5D90-9789-650414DAC56FC86613967895

This episode brings me to tears every time I see it...

Thanks, that was funny, too. I especially liked the inserted "thumbs-up" gesture.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2006 :  16:43:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
I am looking for a good reason to use the phrase "Mother father chinese dentist" in my everyday life...

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2006 :  20:08:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ricky

Ok, so I am now aware that I was assuming before that by taking out the sex scenes, it meant like cable T.V. does. Eliminates the good nudity parts and pretty much leaves the rest in.
Actually, the real point to the whole lawsuit is that copyright gives the studios control over who does what to their films. When you see an "edited for content" film on basic cable, it was done by the people who made the film, and not - as in the case of the people who got sued - some third party.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2006 :  22:33:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
Ricky wrote:
quote:
But you aren't objecting to part of the message or changing someones work (meaning the overall theme). You just object to how that work and message is presented.

Ok, so I am now aware that I was assuming before that by taking out the sex scenes, it meant like cable T.V. does. Eliminates the good nudity parts and pretty much leaves the rest in.

Other people here have already made the point that you can't just separate meaning and presentation in a work of art. But in objecting to the removal of the whole sex scene but not the removal of the nudity shots, you are trying to do just that. Now I'll grant that most of the time Hollywood movies use nudity purely gratuitously to get people into the theatres. But as someone else here said, it is the principle of the thing. I mean, whose standards do we use to decide what nudity or swearing or whatever is used for an artful purpose, and what is just used gratuitously? How can you possibly say in the abstract that it is OK to remove nudity shots, but not the whole sex scene? And hell, what constitutes nudity? In some states women can walk around topless in public, so are exposed nipples really nudity, or only genitals? And maybe part of the point is that nudity is wonderful for its own sake and people who don't like it are prudes.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2006 :  04:59:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ricky

quote:
Removing anything would change it ever so slightly or majorly depending if the scene or word was integral to the plot.

If that isn't the case, you have a valid point.

The TV stations must gain permission to do that from the film's artists before they do. Even if it is to comply with FCC regulations.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2006 :  05:08:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
Ive decided to start editing movies for myself, leaving only the female nudity parts, beheadings and the 7 words.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2006 :  22:20:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
I wouldn't want someone changing something I made then redistributing their version. It may not be an actual big deal but it would feel like an emotional big deal. I'm sure actors and producers have a sense of creative ownership with most movies.
Go to Top of Page

ktesibios
SFN Regular

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2006 :  18:59:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ktesibios a Private Message
Whether or not they bought one copy of the real thing for every bowdlerized copy they sold isn't relevant to whether they were violating the original author's copyright.

Copyright isn't about the right to make money, it's about exactly what it sounds like, the right to make copies. What they were doing is called making a "derivative work", which if done without permission is itself a violation of copyright.

IANAL, but this is a concept so basic that anyone who works in the music industry can't help but find out about it.

They might well have been able to avoid getting into trouble if they had had the sense to take legal advice from someone versed in copyright law, and to follow that advice. I suppose that they were too righteous to worry about doing things right.

While their purpose really isn't relevant to their legal troubles, it is pleasant to see a gaggle of prissypants Jeebo-loons bouncing off the law like a pigeon off a windshield.

"The Republican agenda is to turn the United States into a third-world shithole." -P.Z.Myers
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2006 :  05:10:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
What about the poor girl whos only appearance in the movie is abreast double, what about her feelings?!!?!

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.